Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Re: The Two and Three Month Challenge

Cherry10
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2019

Post by Cherry10 » 05 Dec 2019 21:46

Jj123 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 08:52
Hi cherry Macintosh and Dougal
Hope you are better today Macintosh scary how the urges come from nowhere. So glad you held strong.
Dougal how’s the hip and sinuses?
Cherry you are rocking it how are you feeling coming up to the festive period?
Today I’m off to see my dad you lives In a Nursing home and has dementia this is normally a huge trigger as I find it so hard he doesn’t recognize me now and I miss him so much. Also visited my mums grave yesterday. However have my lovely dogs here with me so will run back to my rental cottage get the fire on and give them a cuddle. It’s hard to experience difficult things without turning to our old fAithful crutch isn’t it.
Take care guys
Do you know if there is a Challenge between this one and a year I see there is a six month one but not used?
JJ
Hi JJ it is so hard when those triggers come around. I have been thinking a lot about Xmas & not drinking & hope that I can be tough enough not to give in. Almost at 5 weeks & I really don't want to go back to day 1 again!!
At least you have your lovely dogs..crazy about my dog too \:)/

Cherry10

Post by Cherry10 » 05 Dec 2019 22:05

JJ I think any of the existing threads can be resurrected...soon as you post in there it goes back to the top. Not 100% certain but you could always check with admin

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 06 Dec 2019 12:46

You’re doing so well cherry hang on in there. Christmas night out tonight can see it far enough!
What kind of dog do you have?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama

Cherry10

Post by Cherry10 » 06 Dec 2019 21:33

Day 34 \:)/
Enjoy your night out JJ..I have a 2.5 yr old Staffy x shitzu how about you?
Hope your hanging in there Mackintosh & Dougal
Shields up everyone...will be so glad when this pesky Xmas season is over

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 07 Dec 2019 06:11

Hi guys
Up early to go to dog competition after late night at works Christmas do. Tired but proud I can be up and driving safely. Really enjoyed the party and even had a good sober dance!!!
I have working dogs lab age 5 and springer aged 3. Love them to bits.
What are you guys up to this weekend?
? we are getting our tree tonight.
JJ
Dalai Lama

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 10 Nov 2019

Post by Leslans » 07 Dec 2019 23:31

hi Jj, seems it a little quiet here. Well I’m moving in soon so it won’t be then. I hope you got your tree today. I’m getting mine tomorrow. I’ve had a shocker of a day really. Decided to spill the beans re my drinking problem with a girlfriend. I’ve not stopped crying. Anyway got through it unscathed other than frog face now.

Anyway thought I’d just check out who was in here. Looking forward to coming over next week <:)>
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

Mackintosh

Post by Mackintosh » 08 Dec 2019 08:18

Morning all, been a strange week...have picked up a bug so feeling yuk physically and unfortunately been a bit that way mentally too. Hopefully next week will be better and I can get back to swimming and get some Xmas shopping done. I'll be bowing out of here in the next few days as it's day 90 for me today. I'm going to head over to the 6 month thread. It's great to hear everyone doing so well on here....hoping to see you all over at the 6 months in a while.
Keep on keeping on \:)/
Sobriety is not an anchor, it's a pair of wings.

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 08 Dec 2019 09:23

Sorry you’re not well Macintosh it makes such a difference 90 days is awesome. Dougal you must be quite near the 90 day’s too? I’m on day 69 so will be there before the new year! Hope you can get back to swimming soon Macintosh.
Cherry hope you have a great day.
Thanks for all the support Macintosh. Wishing you all the best.
JJ
Dalai Lama

Leslans

Post by Leslans » 09 Dec 2019 03:39

I’m in here...........hellooooooo. Ok I know it’s stupid o’clock, can’t sleep but I will be here in the morning. Day 29. Blimey, Dougal and Mac you are doing so well. Sorry to hear about the old hip Dougal. Frustrating I know. Soon be back on that horse.

Looking forward to being around. Hi Cherry and JJ.

Better go back to bed now <:)>

Leslans

Post by Leslans » 09 Dec 2019 15:14

Day 29. Tree up now. Happy Monday everyone e <:)>

Dougal
First Sober Date: 21 Sep 2019

Post by Dougal » 09 Dec 2019 20:33

Oooh, watch out for these season bugs - I’ve been floored! Ok now, and not a hot toddy on my radar! Very proud....I’ve missed you all though 😘
Hey Leslans, good work day 29! A little emotion is ok.....I think it demonstrates your strength of character to your friend. I’m approaching 90.....can’t believe it. Comes next week or so.....must count, so i’ll be off to the 6 month thread I guess, feel all ‘moved in’ here too.
Having a bit of a worry about Xmas though, not really the day itself, more invites to drink parties, locally - so can’t use the driving excuse......goodness, must be strong! Suppose I can always use the previous/still recovering from injuries as an excuse 🤔
Gotta still get a tree and it seems we are hosting a gathering on Xmas day.....I’m so not remotely organised.
So will we all catch up on the 6 month thread? That’s assuming I survive Xmas....and I know it’s going to be the hardest time yet.
Stay strong, keep up the good work all.

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 09 Dec 2019 22:12

Hi team
Leslans talking openly about drinking must be tough. I’ve skirted around it but never opened up. It must feel emotional? Well done for staying AF the wine must’ve been calling? Great to get the tree up and day 29 done.
Dougal hope you are feeling better now and hip is behaving.
10 weeks/70days today. Feeling tired lots going on work wise.
Hope you all had a good Monday?
Cherry how are you?
JJ
Dalai Lama

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 10 Dec 2019 08:47

Morning team
Wet and wild here today.
Tough and long work day ahead would’ve been a major trigger in days past. Not worried well apart from the difficult day.
Have a great day cherry leslans and Dougal
Must start getting organised for Christmas!!!
JJ
Dalai Lama

Leslans

Post by Leslans » 10 Dec 2019 13:38

Day 30. Hope everyone is ok. So I’ve told two of my closest friends now about my plight. I feel so much better for telling them. I’ve closed a door behind me now. Ok so if I drink well they will worry, but my aim is to have people around me who can support me when and if it’s gets tough. I’m determined to crack this and I will. Need to get myself organised for Christmas a little bit slow off the mark here 😝

Cherry10

Post by Cherry10 » 10 Dec 2019 18:03

Hi guys I've been a bit slack posting on here day 38 for me.
Sorry to hear you have been under the weather Mackintosh, get better soon. Amazing 90 days+ you must be super pleased. (::) (::)
Hi JJ, Dougal & Leslans great to see everyone doing so well \:)/
Xmas bothering me a lot. I don't go to many social events over the holidays but am already having those bloody permission thoughts, just hope to make it through. Def helps to be on here.

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 11 Dec 2019 07:09

Morning team
What events have you got coming up cherry? . Permission thoughts are horrible and this time of year even worse. I heard a wee saying on another site that I liked. “Never question the decision NQTD” it makes sense to my the decision is correct and thoughts are just thoughts they pass but when they come I find they are so strong almost physical! I guess it’s all part of recovery. Some journey.
Busy couple of work weeks but getting there. Big meeting tomorrow. Can’t wait for Christmas Eve when I have a few days off then a few more over new year.
What is everyone else working? I find work a huge trigger always used to use wine as a “switch off” tool.
Weather still wild poor doggos are missing their training.
Day 72 it’s a nice number ending forward.
Take care three monthers.
JJ
Dalai Lama

Leslans

Post by Leslans » 11 Dec 2019 08:17

Morning gang. Jj, work was a trigger for me to. Thankfully I was able to retire early and that helped in terms of work stresses. I would say that the wine after work was more of a habit than a physical craving or dependence. I could easily not drink on work nights but then hammer it on a Friday.

One thing I would say having had some long terms of sobriety that permission thoughts and actual relapsing come way before you pick up that drink. We allow the mind to plan and scheme as we allow the addiction to infiltrate our thinking. We think ahead of how “it just won’t be the same without it” and persuade our thinking into it’ll be ok. We glamourise the event, day(s) of drinking as we associate drinking with good times. Well we do when it was all going ok. I suspect it wasn’t always good otherwise we wouldn’t be on here. This is where living in the day one day at a time is how we have to think. Forget about tomorrow or the day after that, because if we think ahead we can send ourselves spiralling down because the addiction is telling us we will miss out. We most certainly will not. It’s all tried and tested and there is no doubt that if I pick up a drink it’ll go pear shaped again. It’s an absolute no brainer. The only reason you can give yourself permission is to also accept the consequences. When I relapsed after two years, my words on here were “I was prepared to accept the consequences”. I did for a while and then I just became a total fuckwit all over again.

So anyone thinking about drinking, think long and hard. I guess it’s a journey and for some it may be what you need to do, I did. I’m back here though and I’m a middle aged female, who didn’t lose her home, held down a professional job for years, married with a wonderful family I just had a very wonky “off switch” which ended up breaking me mentally.

Finally seems we are all animal people on here. I have a very aged border terrier now. She’s frustrated she can’t chase rabbits!!!! I’m day 31 today and have only drank 6 times since 24th August and very proud today <:)>

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 11 Dec 2019 08:28

Leslans
Thank you so much for your amazing post and sharing your experiences. What an amazing gift for us three monthers. I will return to this post when the inevitable permission thoughts come.
You seem really strong and determined and quite rightly proud.
Take care
JJ
Dalai Lama

Cherry10

Post by Cherry10 » 11 Dec 2019 15:49

Day 39,happy they are stacking up again \:)/
JJ & Leslans, I used to work in an office and it was always a trigger for me too, especially after work on a Friday! thankfully not in that environment anymore, I walk and train dogs every day so drinking not really an option! Great to be in the company of other canine lovers.
A great saying Jj, thanks for sharing and your supportive words. Also looking forward to Xmas with my hubby & dog, finishing work next Friday for 2 weeks yay!
Thanks so much for your wise and honest post Leslans, I have read many of your posts that have resonated with me. Well done for opening up to your friends, must have been quite cathartic. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed for me, I have managed to alienate most of my friends & family over the years with my ridiculous behaviour on the booze, but I have come to terms with that. Bit of a loner nowadays, just me, the dog and hubby, but we have a nice life.
Luckily I have managed to sustain my dog business (which I love & have been building for 5 years) and I have lots of canine friends and that def makes me happy!

Leslans

Post by Leslans » 11 Dec 2019 16:59

Cherry I’ve just read your post. You can’t, in my humble opinion, have a better friend than one with four legs and a waggy tail. Mans best friend they really are, so having them around you by the bucket load seems like heaven to me. The most important people or animals for the matter are those who we love and who love us back. Friends come and go and if you stick with this you inevitably make new friends........perhaps in the canine world. You’ve certainly got some cyber friends on here for starters.

I’m coming to the end of day 31 and I’ve “gathering” to go to. There is food as well as drink and I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully I won’t be the only one not drinking as it’s a school night. Life is ok today and I’m really beginning to love this sober world.

Have a nice evening peeps <:)>