Re: The Two and Three Month Challenge

serend
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2020

Post by serend »

Great post Smithster and I love the story about the shopkeeper, instead of thinking about their profit they are pleased about your health!

Having the same thoughts about Christmas, not sure how to deal with this. If only could have one to be sociable then go back to not drinking but as we all know it really does not work that way.

Day 43 done and dusted here.
Husband asked me if I wanted a drink last night - when I said no as is usual over the past 6 weeks he asked when I last had one. It was a strange moment for me when I said not since October (and odd to think he hadn't really noticed!)

Got plenty to do and focus on over the next few weeks and enjoying being AF to do it all so will continue to take it a day at a time for now and appreciate every day I waken up feeling okay :)

Enjoy rest of your evening everyone still in here :)
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

Mountainhare
First Sober Date: 06 May 2012

Post by Mountainhare »

Well done on your progress Smithster, you have been here before. You know the drill. Keep going.

Serend, how long have you tried to moderate and control your drinking? I spent my whole life. For me it doesn’t work and never will. I came to that conclusion many years ago. Therefore it is easier to accept drink as a no go area. It takes away the “can I maybe just have one?” Argument. Of course remaining sober is not just as easy as that, but that is one aspect I think we must nail. Have you spoken to your husband honestly about why you aren’t drinking?

I sat my wife down many years ago and talked to her openly and totally honestly. She wasn’t aware of how bad a problem I had. Having her support has been invaluable.

I’m two months back in tomoz. It has been an easy ride. No thoughts of drinking at all since I went back to basics. But it is an ongoing journey I know that only too well, so I am not complacent and I’m doing what I need to.

The nicotine withdrawal has been the worst. I am on day six of no smoking and over the worst now I hope. Felt very niggley last night.

Let’s make today a good day ;)?

MH
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

Action

Post by Action »

Morning peeps.

Good to hear from you Smithster. You and I are both 11 weeks in now ... I never ever thought I would be able to say that.
I have had a hard time romanticising about Christmas drinking; I imagine that all us fresh soberites are feeling the same. Imagine how wonderful it will be to crack the hardest challenge ‘a sober Christmas’. I am investing a bit of time daily in meditating (just for a few moments at a time) at the moment in order to combat any stress and feelings of uncomfortableness that arise. Also I am planning to buy a few really nice AF drinks in advance so that I can really enjoy getting into the ‘spirit’ of the festivities without the ‘spirit’... so to speak.

I have also asked my family not to offer me a drink at all or say things like, “oh one won’t hurt, you must have a drink at Christmas”, etc. My dad openly respected my request and thought it was admirable, my mum sulked! I think it’s that classic thing that my not drinking making her uncomfortable about her drinking. I just had a thought .., it could also be that she will be the only woman drinking as I will be abstaining and the remainder of the family over for Christmas are male - my bro, dad and partner. But I will be able to ensure that her Christmas is good because I will be alert and there for her!

I’m cooking the Christmas dinner and I am looking forward to it this year. Normally I start with good intentions and stay away from the booze early on but by the time dinner is ready I’m a bit beyond. I am going to really enjoy dinner this year. ;)?

Well done on the stopping smoking MH. Not an easy one either. I did it a few years back. I had to make small changes, shake up established routines associated with smoking, that really helped ...that and the patches too. 16 years SF now. I can’t say how long it was before I didn’t experience any pangs. On one occasion, I stood on the hospital step using an O2 cylinder, whilst my sister smoked. I really wanted a fag! The funniest thing about that story was that we suddenly realised we were standing about 12 ft from a gas works/repair. :o :)

Well have a good day and if you start to feel edgy, take a step back, sit yourself down, take a few breaths and just be in the moment. Be proud of who you are and what you are achieving. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

serend

Post by serend »

Day 44 today

Hello to all. MH well done on the stopping smoking and great for you and Action being at nearly 3 months AF
It is nearly 20 years ago I stopped smoking overnight and didn't look back. However, I have had thoughts about trying for stop drinking/moderate for about 6 years. Not something I have ever discussed with anyone.

Managed one period of just over 3 months about 5 years ago, started again with one innocent Baileys at home early January after successfully (and quite happily) navigating Christmas and new year AF. A few days later was back to my normal drinking. Just now is my first serious attempt since then. I am not entertaining any drinking thoughts, just living day by day. If I have any thoughts I will distract myself with a walk, exercise or meditation.

I havent spoken to OH as I don’t want my delicate little bubble of AF happiness to be broken. Also he has no intentions of stopping. He was quite argumentative last night and I realised this morning it was whiskey he was drinking last night. Funny how you think its all just alcohol but whiskey def seems to be worse.

Action your plan for Christmas sounds good, you will be moving on soon to the 6 month board (::)

Smithster
Last Drink Date: 20 Sep 2020
First Sober Date: 21 Sep 2020

Post by Smithster »

Good effort on the Cigs MH. I quit about 9 years ago now. I quit before I gave up the booze for the first time, couldn't have done both at the same time!

Action - sounds like a good plan for Christmas day. I'll be prepping everything Christmas Eve, then a trip to the Cemetery in the morning. Quick bike ride, cook lunch, then snooze in a chair. That should keep me busy! Off all over Christmas and actually looking forward to it.

Serend - that was my mistake after 3 1/2 years. One won't harm me, I've got this under control after all this time, surely? Big no of course.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Evening guys, day six on the no smoking/vaping. I actually gave up for 20 years and then about 5 years back started having the odd cafe creme which eventually led back to smoking.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I’m determined to quit again. And remain AF going forward this time for once and for all.

It’s great to see everyone making progress and heading toward their goals. Keep going gang.

MH
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

LBNS
Last Drink Date: 01 Feb 2020
First Sober Date: 02 Feb 2020

Post by LBNS »

Hey all <:)>
Some great posts there.
I’m checking in.
Day 49 (or 73)
Wish I could write more, really want to reply to posts, but I’ve been getting overwhelmed again, and don’t want to put myself under any pressure...
Hope you understand <:)>
You’re all doing great ;)?
Lots of love
LBNS
XXXX
You never regret NOT drinking the next morning.

Action

Post by Action »

LBNS wrote:
07 Dec 2020 19:58
Hey all <:)>
Some great posts there.
I’m checking in.
Day 49 (or 73)
Wish I could write more, really want to reply to posts, but I’ve been getting overwhelmed again, and don’t want to put myself under any pressure...
Hope you understand <:)>
You’re all doing great ;)?
Lots of love
LBNS
XXXX
Totally understand LBNS. We’re here for you if and when you need us and getting things off your chest is totally allowed if you ever feel like it! <:)> Take care of yourself and carve out some me time. <:)>
Excellent job on 49/73 days (::) that’s fabulous (::)
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Great going LB (::) you look after yourself and keep up the good work. Post more when you feel like it or just check in and out. It’s all good. Main thing is you are making progress.

Lots of love <:)>

serend

Post by serend »

Morning all,
LB you're doing great, and you def don't need to add any extra pressure on yourself, especially in here!
just keep checking in, talking of which its Day 45 for me, about half way through a 3 month challenge.
Take care everyone x

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Guys,

Woah...it’s a beautiful day here with a significant frost overnight. I think the frost makes everything look so magical. Not much to report here except got do some cleaning ...my place looks like I hadn’t lifted a finger in days to do any housework. You know when there are things scattered about the place rather than back in their appropriate homes. :D washing piled up on the bedroom chair rather than in the laundry basket because the laundry basket is in the kitchen and had been for days, since the last batch of washing although it’s shouldn’t be. Jars and bottles that need to go in the recycle bottle box (which I can use with pride now) that are stacked precariously in the corner of the kitchen...and so on.

Got an online appointment with my consultant this afternoon so must make sure that his/her video view is presentable :D and I do have some sausage rolls to look forward to, which I made last night to share with my neighbours and mum.

Well have a good day folks. <:)>

Oo quick question... I watched the series The Society on Netflix and finished it last night. Can anyone recommend another good series?
#38 on 2021 Challenge

serend

Post by serend »

Hey Action, you sound all organised! All things I need to do but too much work on today!
Was The Society good? I just watched The Queens Gambit which I liked. Don't usually watch much TV but really enjoyed it :)
Would like some movie suggestions as well (comedy, drama, legal, detective types maybe !)

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Morning folks,

LB, hope things are well today?

I enjoyed the Queen’s Gambit too Serend. Not seen The Society, Action, not even heard of it to be fair. We are watching The Handmaid’s Tale at the moment. It is brutal! In fact, since we’ve returned from Greece, all I’ve done is work and watch either Netflix or Amazon Prime, but that’s ok, there’s not much else to do in winter and mentally and spiritually I am well and peaceful. Oh, yeah, I’m trying to train this crazy sausage dog puppy too!

On the drinking front - no cravings and not even really give it a thought. I am doing what I need to to stay out of self and keep emotionally well, and I’m not complacent. Working in the construction industry is giving me plenty of opportunity for personal growth in many ways and that is good too, because we are either growing or we are dying. We don’t stand still.

So, Christmas is looming ever closer. Personally I can’t wait. The time off will be nice and so will the food :D

Smithster, you still smashing the training?

Have a lovely day all in this thread

Peace and love

MH

Action

Post by Action »

Oh your pup sounds so exciting MH. I’m looking forward to Christmas but also feel slight trepidation as we are going to stay at mums for a couple of days and I’ve been shielding for some time. We are bubbled :lol2: but it’s not the same as being under the same roof. My mum, despite her age and weight, is quite cavalier about COVID. I will be nagging her constantly about wiping surfaces, doing hands, keeping windows open etc. Hey ho...or should that be ho ho ho.

Had a beautiful walk yesterday, took a couple of photos (I wrote shots but it didn’t sound right). The sun was amazingly warm and everything was so calm. Walked further than I’ve done in a while, which always gives me a boost. Appointment with consultant went well. It’s so nice just to be able to sit in my study to discuss things rather than get up at the crack of dawn, make packed lunch, travel far afield on public transport, sit around in waiting rooms, get stabbed for tests (hypodermic) etc. No stress ... bliss.

The Society was great, all except the ending which was not what I expected. It just ended abruptly with the lamest of concepts. I might be being a bit harsh...I think it was a one off series so I’m not sure how they could have finished it any other way. I’m now watching The Mist, which is a bit gruesome but quite gripping.

I used to just sit and drink and watch tv every night. I think as time goes by and the weather and evening light improves, not long now until the shortest day \:)/ I will naturally find other things to occupy my mind. I can’t unravel bad habits overnight, besides what’s better than snuggling up on the sofa in your pjs on a cold night? :|
0F4863EA-EA41-4E07-B99C-FD3618BCF685.jpeg
0F4863EA-EA41-4E07-B99C-FD3618BCF685.jpeg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 467 times
190B6F47-2190-4AD4-AD95-C0AA77E91675.jpeg
190B6F47-2190-4AD4-AD95-C0AA77E91675.jpeg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 467 times
#38 on 2021 Challenge

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Lovely photos Action ;)? So good to see you doing so well too. It will be nice when the days lengthen and become lighter. I’m cool with hibernating through the worst months of winter and after work I’m too tired to do much other than chill in front of the tv and go to bed and read by 9pm :D

Spring will be different and Covid allowing, I’ll be driving back to Greece.

Feeling good at the moment. Grateful for where I am on this journey.

Who do we have in this challenge?

MH

serend

Post by serend »

Morning !
Day 47 ;)?
Looking forward to a break from full lockdown tomorrow :)
Hope everyone well.
Lovely photos Action, off for a walk by the sea on Sunday
MH Greece and some sunshine sounds lovely
Have a good day :)

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Peeps.

Oh dear, it’s a bit grey out there! Hey ho ... I confess, I’m still in bed :o
Had a busy day deep cleaning my kitchen yesterday and I’m a bit stiff today.
Quiet day for me today ...Christmas card writing I think.
I’m getting quite restless ... my energy levels seem to be very very slowly improving and I feel like I want to do something constructive with my time. I am looking forward to evolving and finding things to bring me joy.

MH, my partner calls me Dormouse. Only 11 days until the shortest day of the year and then we can look forward to lighter days! \:)/

Right better get this lazy old self up!
#38 on 2021 Challenge

Action

Post by Action »

Serend ... just watched a film on Netflix called Wild Rose. It’s about a young woman in Glasgow who wants to make it as a Country singer. It’s gritty, with ups and downs but uplifting :D Julie Walters is in it.
#38 on 2021 Challenge

serend

Post by serend »

Thanks Action - will give that a watch this weekend ;)?

serend

Post by serend »

Day 48, hitting the 7 weeks mark tomorrow.
Have a good Friday all !