Re: The Two and Three Month Challenge

serend
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2020

Post by serend »

Morning everyone!

Yes action I like the self care check list, feeling better today and its D53 here, liking the idea of looking forward to longer days!

Have a good Thursday all :)
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

Mountainhare
First Sober Date: 06 May 2012

Post by Mountainhare »

Good morning, just checking in. I’ve had a tough week, my back problem has been giving me proper grief and i e been in a lot of pain, work is too intense. Literally not stopped since I got back. This work is too hard for me these days and the two projects I’ve been involved with have been poorly organised and thus run badly, which has meant working in chaos with unrealistic time schedules. It’s really got to me this week. Long hours, working weekends, pain, tiredness and the dark wet weather has all taken its toll and left me irritable and self pitying.

I’ve had to dig in and take a good look at myself and ride it out, but I am going to have to make changes going forward, that’s for sure, because I cannot carry on like this. I took this work as a temporary solution to allow me to leave my last type of work and bring life changes in. It has been a good thing, but now it is time to make changes again.

Drinking isn’t an option as that doesn’t work anymore anyway, I don’t enjoy it and it only leaves me feeling worse. But at this point in my journey it isn’t really about drinking anymore or trying not to drink or counting days sober. It is all about mental health really and doing what is necessary to stay well and enjoy life.

Anyway, sorry for the negative post lol but we have to be truthful eh? Soon be Christmas and I am looking forward to some time off to rest.

Happy Friday to all

MH
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Everyone,

MH, my heart goes out to you. Pain can be so debilitating and demoralising; trapped with a feeling of no where to escape to. Having attended a Pain Management clinic with and for my partner some time in the past they highly recommend that you are kind to yourself, don’t beat yourself up about it and rest if you need to. Sounds as though you have a lot on your plate here as I don’t remember you mentioning your back whilst you were in Greece especially with all your cycling and swimming. :? It’s so tough at the moment with everything, so much in the air? I just wish you had an alternative. Sorry, I’m not much help am I. :cry: At the pain clinic they advised against pushing yourself against the odds, pacing yOurself, and to not feel guilty about resting. Our favourite word was one of theirs ...balance!

Due to my scoliosis and remaining sober I am experiencing a lot more pain especially in my hip and lower back, especially when I over do it. Alcohol has masked a lot of stuff! I have strong recollections of consciously opening a bottle of wine deliberately to self medicate :shock: so now I am learning to pace myself (still haven’t got it quite right). I can only take paracetamol but I am finding long hot showers, my partner putting deep heat on my back/hip and an good old fashioned hot water bottle helps.

Well, stay warm, keep those muscles warm and rest when you can MH. <:)>

Hope everyone else is okay! It’s a bit blooming windy here!
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Thanks Action, you’re so kind.

Feeling a bit better today. Pain has eased a bit. It is what it is.

Have you tried massage Action? And reiki is good too to aid relaxation and boost your chi energy flow.

I’m living on Naproxin and using hot baths and getting my wife to try and release my back. Sometimes it snaps back into place. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Anyway, it’s weekend have a good one.

Serend, you ok? LB how are you?

Much love

MH
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

serend

Post by serend »

Hi everyone,
MH I feel for you, pain like that is so all consuming. Glad its eased off a bit today, have you tried a chiropractor?
Action, good advice there, hope you managed to get out and survived the windy day.
Did bulk of Christmas shopping today - shattered! And looking forward to some hopefully relaxing time off work over the next few weeks
I'm nearly 2 months without alcohol, to be honest I considered it on the way back from shopping tonight (old thought process creeping in when I wasn't watching !) but it passed by the time I got home, and OH already slurring when I got in put me completely off.
Hope you all have a lovely (pain free) weekend <:)>

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Christmas shopping, isn’t that what Amazon is for :D :D :D

Two months will soon be ticked off serend and you should treat yourself to something nice I reckon. You know what I do? I have a massage every month as a little treat. I’ve done that for a while now. I’m even thinking of doing a massage training course. It would go well with my reiki masters and it is something I might do in Greece as a nice way of making a bit of money too.

I’m working today, again. I need to get this big wait a minute massive house and amazingly beautiful and architectural work of art refurb finished for Christmas. Then, only three days until I should be done for Christmas.

Action, how are you? I saw you were having a bit of a wobble. It’s natural mate. I started urge surfing if any thoughts of drinking come along, as they do sometimes when I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself, I just sit and feel them as the death throes of my addiction. Drinking doesn’t work anyway. We need to find other ways to relax and unwind and other ways to de-stress.

Stress is the thing to watch out for. I don’t think we realise how stressful life can be, even without pain and or other events that cause stress. Modern life is inherently stressful and we actually make our own stress too when we look at it. That is why I believe self care and some form of meditation is essential. If meditation is difficult I really would recommend reiki as it induces a meditative state.

Keep going gang. Sobriety gets easier the longer we maintain it and the cravings and thoughts will get fewer and father apart, so just keep on keeping on and practicing self care.

Hope today is a good day for everyone.

LB how are you lovely. I hope everything is ok <:)>

Lots of love

MH

serend

Post by serend »

Morning!
Yes reiki is good MH, thinking of signing up for Level 2 in Jan as did level 1 a few years ago. Good idea to treat ourselves!!
Real life shopping was an experience yesterday, it wasn't actually that busy but spent the time dodging people and yes you're right, was thinking of Amazon :lol:
8 weeks AF today, 8 weeks ago I posted on the SOS thread I felt so despairing and fed up with myself that day, the responses here were just so amazing it really helped. I would never normally ask for help and it felt so inspiring to hear the replies that it led to this lovely AF time in life.
Hope everyone is okay today, have a nice day. Nearly the 21st the shortest day!!
Action you sound as if you are really getting to grips with new way of life its good to hear! <:)>

Action

Post by Action »

Morning friends <:)>
Well, would you believe it, the suns out! \:)/ \:)/

Yes, MH I had a bit of a tough time of it yesterday ... piled my plate too high. All work and no relax! I have a timetable table and I’ve been pushing myself to complete it for Christmas. In the past I would have wine to self medicate for pain and stress, to knock myself out. I learnt yesterday that I can’t ignore tiredness, pain or stress too long otherwise I’m in danger ⚠️ of mentally reaching a place that I can’t climb down from or self sooth. I actually said out loud “I want a glass of wine”. :cry: I haven’t actually tried to urge surf but I will in future; I was just intent in escaping the uncomfortable feelings (which could have led to wine) as I had that mind set for a bit.

I was very lucky as my partner washed my back in the shower (it helps to ease my muscles), he cooked bangers and mash for us for dinner and made me a hot water bottle. It really helped and I was very grateful. We’d had quite a conversation earlier in the day as I was trying to address his prescribed drug abuse. :cry: Obviously that upset me more than I realised, which added to my wobble mix.

It’s such a lovely day, a bit blowy, but I must get out for a walk this morning as I haven’t for the last couple of days. It always helps my mood. All my shopping has been with Amazon, I’ve had that many parcels delivered - I expect my neighbours think I’ve come into some money or something. The poor dog is in constant high alert with people coming and going. :shock:

I made stuffing balls yesterday (now in the freezer) and I’m making Italian chocolate cake today (Delia Smith recipe). A few more parcels to wrap up and then that’s about it really. Shopping to collect from Tesco tomorrow and maybe another batch off sausage rolls for the family ... and lots of down time and meditation I think! I haven’t written in my journal for days, which I was doing daily. It just goes to show if you start slacking on the self care it can be dangerous.

Your job sounds very interesting MH, quite a responsibility I imagine.

I used to have a friend who came and gave me a massage (paid of course) but I haven’t seen her for a long time due to Covid. I will look to seeing her again in the future. Reiki ... I’m not good with people touching my feet, although my friend does that too so I should be open minded and maybe give it a go. :D

Have a good day and get out in the sunshine. ;)?
Last edited by Action on 19 Dec 2020 14:34, edited 2 times in total.
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Just popped in to read both your wonderful posts serend and action. Serend, well done on two months mate. You've been around a while I read back (stalked you :D ) at your posts. You have plenty of tools today to keep going and you seem to have reached the place we all get to sooner or later where you want this and that cannot be under estimated. Do the reiki 2 if you get chance. Reiki has been a part of my journey.

Action, you too are doing great and it is encouraging and inspiring to read your posts. You are growing in self awareness and learning to take care of yourself and learning what your limits are and finding ways to deal with the ups and downs of life. It’s all good. Just stay focused on where you are going and keep going.

Reiki by the way doesn’t really involve feet. And if it does with the practitioner you find, if you do decide to try it, just mention that you don’t want your feet touching. Some reiki practitioners don’t even actually touch at all by the way. Personally I’ve found working on the head and heart area to be the most effective way to administer reiki while touching very lightly.

My job insnt interesting these days. I’m not the architect I hasten to add. My job is purely a means of earning enough money to get back to Greece for half the year each year lol. I quit my career to put this journey of sobriety, freedom and self discovery first.

Keep going guys.

Much love

MH

LBNS
Last Drink Date: 01 Feb 2020
First Sober Date: 02 Feb 2020

Post by LBNS »

Hi gang :\:
I'm still here, and still going. I'm sorry I'm not contributing much, but I am reading and keeping up with all your news, you are all doing great. I completely agree with MH about modern life being stressful. I think we all cram way too much into the days, and give ourselves a hard time if we don't. I keep feeling like time is actually speeding up and I can feel the sensation of time whizzing fast around me (like you see if the movies, when the person stand still and the world is whizzing around them) and I can't keep up, it can be unnerving sometimes.
Day 61 (85) here.
Not had a bad day today, while having stuff to do, I've not got overwhelmed and have tried to be in the moment.
Third Zoom Christmas party tonight. Husband's work. Looking forward to it, although it will be a bit of an effort. Have some nice food and af sparkling wine. He works with a couple of tee totallers, so I won't be the odd one out, and I've been having some health issues later, which his colleagues are aware of so if anyone says anything I can say I'm not drinking because of that.
Must get on, got to get ready, get the food ready and get the dining room ready! Much easier to go out :lol2:
Hope you all have a nice evening ;)?
LBNS
XXXX
You never regret NOT drinking the next morning.

Smithster
Last Drink Date: 20 Sep 2020
First Sober Date: 21 Sep 2020

Post by Smithster »

Hello all. Been busy this week, just popping in to say hello.

Still here and sober.

Sorry to hear about the back MH. Nothing worse than a bad back, hope it eases soon.

Take care all.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Good to hear from you LB and glad to read you are going strong.

Modern life is hectic and seems to me all wrong. One thing I’ve struggled with from the day I put down the booze, actually before that even, is this concept of life we in the west, especially, are all conditioned to accept as normal - school, work, tow the line of convention, get a mortgage and spend all your life working to pay it off and then, if you are lucky retiring for a few years.

I guess one of the reasons so many people use alcohol and other reality changing drugs is as a way to escape and relax and forget that we are actually all just prisoners to a concept that began with the cognitive revolution and got sealed and the door locked with the agricultural revolution meaning we were all then incarcerated and controlled by this idea we all unwittingly accepted as the way things are.

I’ve always questioned it but never so much as when I put down the drink.

The last five years I’ve been making changes to break free from the prison of convention and the more those changes fall into place the better life is and the less I think about alcohol.

But change takes time and I’m the kind of bloke who wants an instant fix. There isn’t one. Change is gradual and we must work at it. And change isn’t just environmental or circumstantial it is also a mental and spiritual process. That’s the whole ride for me.

Good to see you still going strong Smithster.

Day off today. Chilling out.

Have a good Sunday people

MH

serend

Post by serend »

Morning guys! Day 57 here!

MH laughing at the stalking comment, I dread to think how repetitive it has been over the past 6 years! :lol2: Have already sent a message about Reiki 2 ;)?

Action I wonder if you were thinking of Reflexology, which I would really like to book in for a treatment, its all about the feet.

LBNS hope you enjoyed the Christmas party, sounds very sociable!

Smithster hi :\:

Have often thought modern life is so wrong, the structure the routine, especially the way we run our education system. Change will come eventually, a spiritual awakening is on its way.. at the moment it is all about damage limitation !

Have a good Sunday everyone

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Peeps!

Oh my god ... it is Reflexology MH! What a plonker ... not Reiki at all. :roll:

LB ... totally know what you mean about time. Also I find that the less busy I have become the faster it goes too!
My partner is completely anti establishment/anti capitalism. It is a difficult one because we do have some security in being part of a system (NHS, The Law) but I understand that it takes so much away from us at the same time. :cry:
Serend - Having been part of the education system for some time in the past I think it fails many children. I am a strong believer in individual intelligence, be it physical, emotional, creative, etc and I believe the current system glosses over these for the sake of hitting targets.

Crikey ... I’m getting off my soap box 📦 :o
#38 on 2021 Challenge

LBNS

Post by LBNS »

Morning all :\: hey Smithster :\:
Quick check in, will try to write more later.
Day 62 (86) and I’m starting to think Christmas is possible ;)?
Party last night was good fun, not an urge to drink at all. Some people were getting quite drunk, and it’s interesting that the normal reaction is to laugh and smile at it :roll: Luckily we ducked out about 9.30pm. It became someone playing loud Christmas music with numerous people individually doing drunk dancing on their own in front of the camera.... Glad that wasn’t me. I was relieved to be sober.
I’m off for a swim soon, followed by trying to get stuff done at home, but in my own time.
The comments from you guys about what’s expected of us and our working lives is interesting, and I agree, we “work for the man” then retire and hope we live a few good years on our own terms. Good on you for making changes MH.
Take care all, hopefully check in later,
LBNS
XXXX

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Morning, three days left to work and counting.

Serend, a spiritual awakening to the fact we are all just one small part of this beautiful blue planet and thus we all need to take care of it and each other, rather than act in self centred, egotistical, self destructive ways is the only solution for mankind I believe. But the few folk who have done enough self work and reached beyond the ego and seen the truth and who then tried to articulate the true nature of life to the masses either got shot or nailed to bits of wood. The powers and egos that be don’t want a spiritual revolution and humanity is so hypnotised to the concept of power and money and ego that it is hard to see it ever occurring. We can however have our own spiritual revolution. In fact I believe that begins for us in some way when we get sober.

Lb you can do Christmas mate. Just take it easy and try not to stress about it. Ive had lots of sober Christmases now, it is a tricky time that shouldn’t be underestimated, but it is manageable and even enjoyable without the drink.

Action, I hope you do try reiki, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

I’m still knackered and feeling below par, but trying to accept the things I cannot change and keep it in the day. I have had thoughts of blotting everything out with a drink, but I know it doesn’t work and will only make life a million times worse, so there is no chance of me acting on those insane thoughts.

Keep going people. We can always find a reason to drink, but I like to think that option has been removed now.

Much love

MH

serend

Post by serend »

Morning everyone, day 58 here :)
Our own spiritual revolution sounds the way to go MH, really feel its time! first day of being off work and the news is on television, glad I don't normally watch it - not good for the well-being!!!
Shortest day today, get out there and get some daylight before its gone! Days only get longer now ;)
Enjoy your day guys !

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare »

Last day in work!!!!! And changes to life are underway.
I know they say God laughs at those that make plans and all that, but they also say: God helps those that help themselves don’t they? So all we can do is keep trying and if things are meant to be and we put in the effort, hopefully they will work out.

Hope everyone is doing ok?

MH

Action

Post by Action »

Mountainhare wrote:
23 Dec 2020 06:15
I know they say God laughs at those that make plans and all that, but they also say: God helps those that help themselves don’t they? So all we can do is keep trying and if things are meant to be and we put in the effort, hopefully they will work out.
It’s true MH. We can’t expect the unexpected but we can prepare ourselves to cope for when it happens by remaining sober. And God, the universe, definitely responds positively if you put positive thoughts out there. ;)?

Hope that you don’t have to work all day. Have a good one everyone ;)?
#38 on 2021 Challenge

LBNS

Post by LBNS »

Morning all :\:
Day 66 (90) today.
Christmas Eve. Not feeling too Christmasy, feeling a little flat :|
But I’m sober.
No plans to drink at all over Christmas, although I have had a few fleeting thoughts. Need to keep them in check. Can’t stand the thought of feeling woozy with drink, or feeling hung over the following day, really need to hold onto that thought.
Hope you are all doing ok.
LBNS
XXXX