Re: The Two and Three Month Challenge

Action

Post by Action »

Wow! Day 90 LBNS that’s fabulous!

Yes, it’s going to be a bit different this Christmas ... what with being sober and the COVID restrictions.
I am glad that I will be sober though as it will enable me to make the most of it, as simple as it is and be present ... amongst the presents. :D

Good luck with any last minute preparation. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Mountainhare
First Sober Date: 06 May 2012

Post by Mountainhare »

Hey LB, 90 days is sweet. Hang on to those thoughts of how rubbish drinking is.

Action, being present to enjoy Christmas and all the nice food and relaxation is a gift (see what I did there; present/gift hahaha)

Serend, hope you are well?

I’m all finished for Christmas now and feeling better already for having the day off and knowing I wont be back in work for two weeks :D

Takeaway for us tonight and then we have Christmas dinner, which I’ll be cooking as per, and on Boxing Day we have a huge rib of beef.

It’s been a struggle for me to get through the last ten days or so, and I have thought of drinking, but I have got through it and not picked up and I have exciting things lined up for next year, because I need to make changes to make life less tiring, less like a grind and less stressful and instead make life more enjoyable and exciting and work more flexible and rewarding.

Have a very merry Christmas guys.

Keep going and keep on growing

Peace and love

MH
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

Action

Post by Action »

Merry Christmas Peeps!

Finally sat down tonight at 9pm after busy day ... lots of prep for Christmas dinner and stuff but hopefully cooking will be straight forward and easy tomorrow now. Looking forward to it ... I think :D

No thoughts of wine today, despite feeling stretched and tired, just enjoyed a hot shower instead. I had a few difficult days last week, struggled with ideas of Christmas and wine thoughts but I seem to have overcome it for the moment. Never take it for granted eh. I slowed down a bit to take pressure of myself. Time rushed by today and my fantasy of sitting to watch an old movie disintegrated but as soon as I sat down once I’d finished my jobs time seemed to slow right down, which is great so I feel quite relaxed already. On reflection, if I was drinking I wouldn’t be relaxed even after a bottle of wine, even if I thought I was (if that makes any sense). :shock:

MH - the New Year sounds very exciting for you, good for you. <:)> I find it reassuring to have a plan for the future, even if it’s still formulating don’t you. I am formulating a couple of ideas at the moment too and looking forward to changes, even small ones. :D

Have a lovely day tomorrow. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

serend
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2020

Post by serend »

Merry Christmas! have a lovely healthy happy day and enjoy. :)
Exhausted after all the running around of the past week or so and looking forward to the next few days doing not very much at all!
Love to you all <:)>
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

LBNS
Last Drink Date: 01 Feb 2020
First Sober Date: 02 Feb 2020

Post by LBNS »

Morning peeps :\:
Well I made it through Christmas Day.
Day 68 (or 92).
My day yesterday was fine, we visited husband's mom in the morning, then made dinner and watched a film in the afternoon. I was having thoughts of drinking when we first started making dinner, as we had some frexinet in the fridge, but I voiced my concerns to husband and we talked it through, and thankfully the desire subsided so I made it through Christmas Day sober. I am very thankful of that today, as I know if I'd had "just one" it could have easily turned into 2 bottles, even after 3 months of being off it.
Hope you are all enjoying having a break from every day life, that's how I'm looking at it. Apart from making the dinner, we just sat around and watched tv and phoned friends and family, it felt like for one day I had permission to have a rest and not be thinking of what I had to do or should be doing. Today might be a bit the same ;) Hope you are all having a good Christmas xxx
LBNS
XXXX
You never regret NOT drinking the next morning.

serend

Post by serend »

Morning everyone, hope all is well and you enjoyed Christmas. MH glad you are still here.

This is (or should be) D66 for me.

I am not going to make the same mistake as I have in the past which is an all or nothing approach to thinking along the lines of - I have ruined everything now (had a few drinks over Christmas, nothing major and not that enjoyable to be honest) so may as well throw in the towel and drink every day now, I want to catch it now and take it no further and continue as I am without giving in.

And for me that means holding onto that number while my mind is still in the game instead of falling into the abyss.
So Day 66 it is if I may please stay and hopefully be able to look back at the Christmas drink as a small blip.

Plan to be kind to myself today, have an early night (not been sleeping much) and just try to not ruin everything I have achieved over the past few months.

Enjoy your day, I will be checking into BE on and off all day today.

Action

Post by Action »

Great idea Serend.
I want to catch it now and take it no further and continue as I am without giving in.
Carry on and keep up that momentum. Christmas has got to the one of the hardest sober challenges, not just because everyone else seems to be drinking but because of the immeasurable stress it tends to put people under. Then add a bit of pandemic fear into the mix this year and hey presto!

So day 66 it is. ;)?

You haven’t ruined everything. Your slip is a learning experience and will strengthen your desire to remain sober. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge

LBNS

Post by LBNS »

Morning Serend <:)> Really good to see you <:)>
Glad you are sticking around, it was just a blip, sounds like you've thought it all through and considered what's best for you, and that's to stay here ;)?
Hi Action :\: good to see you too <:)>
Mountainhare - hello to you too <:)>
I've missed you all the last few days.
Hope you are all ok.
Day 70 (or 94).
LBNS
XXXX

Mountainhare
First Sober Date: 06 May 2012

Post by Mountainhare »

Last edited by Mountainhare on 23 Mar 2021 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Everyone,

Good to hear from you MH. Very glad to hear that you have benefitted from a good rest. Your next steps sound constructive and exciting. I will look forward to hearing about things as and when you post. I am also planning to make changes (baby ones) so maybe we’ll be able to compare notes. :D

Serend I hope that you are okay. Let us know what’s occurin’ whatever the weather. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge

serend

Post by serend »

Morning everyone,
Thanks Action, MH and LBNS <:)>
Feeling back to good again after yoga, meditation and a lovely bath and early night last night. Cant believe how down just having a small amount of alcohol made me feel, totally out of sorts and a kind of bleak feeling which could easily slip into as sort of despair.
So this is day 68 but I don't feel as driven to count days as I was - this is just the new way of being :)

Have a good day everyone, nearly the end of the year! Rest and get outside and be kind to yourself and others <:)>
Love to you all

LBNS

Post by LBNS »

Morning all <:)>

Serend - I completely relate to that bleak feeling you describe, it’s awful, some mornings I would get up late, after lying in bed awake feeling wretched, and feel so desperate, like I was on the edge of full blown depression. I used to feel like I just couldn’t cope with life. God just to think of it makes me shudder. I’m glad you are starting to feel better.
Day 72 (or 96) here.
I’m really enjoying being off work, to the point where I really don’t want to return on the 4th...
Was talking to a friend the other day, who is planning retirement within the next few years at a fairly young age (mid fifties) and I couldn’t help but feel envious. Life goes so fast, and we spend so much of it working, or doing things that are detrimental to our health due to the stress of working, it does seem a bizarre way to live...
Anyway, enough of that otherwise I will depress myself proper!
Hope you are all ok, and have a good day <:)>
Lots of love
LBNS
XXXX

serend

Post by serend »

Morning everyone, also enjoying being off work LBNS, another 3 days of freedom!! Grateful to have a job to go back to mind you
D70 here, glad keeping counting despite the blip, otherwise would have completely fallen off.
Have a good Saturday out there and stay warm!!
Xx

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Serend and LBNS.

It’s always the same isn’t it...if you have straight hair, you want curly hair, etc.
When I was working I used to look forward to time off and now I’m not (health reasons) I wish I was! :shock:

It’s a stunning day here, the sun is out in its full glory so will be heading out with the dog pretty soon.

Have a good day <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

Evening all,

Graduation day I think. 4 weeks has passed and it is time to move on. Happy to be camping out here until the end of March and then see where that takes me. It feels good to have a full sober January ticked off the list. I haven't given it the time or recognition it deserves. I will celebrate by giving myself a big green tick!

Sober January \/

\:)/
#16 on the 2021 Challenge
Sobriety is never owned. It's rented and the rent is due everyday.

Action

Post by Action »

That’s great stuff Ali - welcome to the thread. It’s a bit quiet but I’ll pop in to see you and I’m sure some others will join you soon. You’ll be amazed how quickly the time goes by. Are you going to treat yourself with anything to celebrate your graduation other than a big green tick? Maybe a long hot bath, some chocolate, buy yourself some flowers, a new piece of clothing. Well done (::)
#38 on 2021 Challenge

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

Thank you Action. Its nice to have company but I'm also happy on my own. I fail when I stop posting and reading so even if I am flying solo for a bit I will keep on posting and moving forward. Time in the lockdown state we are in seems a bit irrelevant and moving much quicker than I imagine. Its a bit sad for what we are missing but great for racking up sober days when they all seem to fly by.

Working on creating new habits that improve things. Small steps that I call the non-negotiables. It takes away the deciding whether or not I want to do it factor as its non-negotiable so I just get up and do it. Things like pack and run the dishwasher before I go to bed or make my bed in the morning. I am starting to see the benefits of doing these small things regularly and our home and life seems to calmer and more enjoyable. I plan to add to the list very gradually to keep up the momentum and create lasting habits. Who knows, I may even surprise everyone and do some exercise one of these days!

Smiler Grogan

Post by Smiler Grogan »

Hi to everyone.

Had a drink last night. Just fancied it really, no stressors or emotional turmoil, no shall I shan't I.
Felt nonplussed this morning. Didn't beat myself up. I completed dry January without too much
hassle however I think this upcoming period is going to be tough in ensuring I don't slip back into
how things were before January. Stopping the booze last month saved me over £200 and I consumed
almost 18,000 calories less. I lost 9lbs. Sleeping like a baby. So many positives. And now....

I need to have a good think about where I'm going with this.
Individually we are strong. Together we are invincible.

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

Been there so many times Smiler. It feels a bit like a round-a-bout in the kids playground. I am on it and having a great time until I'm not and I want to get off but its spinning too fast so I am stuck. I wish you well, whatever you decide is best for you.

If I am honest I am really too scared to have another drink. The slope is too slippery and I have no control in a matter of days so I am just plain scared. More scared of drinking than anything I might face sober. Not sure I have it in me to keep trying if I slip up so I have no real choice but to keep going.

I have found myself thinking about drinking quite a bit the last few days which eventually gives way to thoughts of giving myself permission. It sounds a bit contradictory to be too scared but thinking about it at the same time. If anything I think I need to get the tools out and give them a sharpen to get my head back on track.
Last edited by Alizarin on 04 Feb 2021 07:46, edited 1 time in total.

Action

Post by Action »

Hi Ali and Smiler.

Have you read about Relapse Prevention Strategy, it’s incredibly useful to be aware of.
Lots of self care involved. Check it out. <:)>

https://www.alcohol.org/relapse-prevention/

There are three stages: Emotional, Mental and Physical and the trick is to stop a relapse in its tracks early on. I think it’s quite hard to differentiate the stages at the beginning. Perhaps it is easier with practice as every slip is a learning experience. <:)>
Last edited by Action on 15 Mar 2021 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
#38 on 2021 Challenge