The 4 Week Challenge

MissCheese
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2011

Re: The 4 Week Challenge

Post by MissCheese »

_Jack_ wrote:First day of the 4 week challenge today.

Furthest I have ever been AF in about 14 years is 4 weeks. So I'm hoping to beat that record, and then to infinity and beyond!
Good luck Jack, I am at a similar stage to Paul in that I've nearly completed the four weeks.
MissCheese

linda6666
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2010

Post by linda6666 »

Arcturus wrote:

A word to the wise...each time you drink and withdraw, it's likely to get a bit worse and a bit longer...until it becomes possibly weeks of unexpected, unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
Sorry to hear this Arcturus , but you seem to be over the worse <:)> This is what i have tried telling people many times on BE , just because you have gone cold turkey once or twice before does not mean this time will be the same.. I was the same, every withdrawal from alcohol was worse than the last, and my last one was the pitts, so i dread the thought of EVER having to ever go through it again, i really dont think i could cope in all honesty.. So best thing is not try, ignorance is bliss and what you never do you never miss.. ;)?

So well done, and dont worry to much about cleaning your house, this will all come with time, and im sure its got somthing to do with the time of year, but i have loads to do, but no motivation to go with it...Worry not...Just concentrate on staying warm and sober for now...Treat yourself to some rest,, <:)> <:)> ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip »

Arcturus - do you have a blood pressure monitor? (Gosh, my recent slip was worse than I thought. I typed minotaur. Do NOT under any circumstances get a BP minotaur. The user guide is labyrinthian.)

They are not for everyone because they can make things worse as in OMG my BP is too high, panic, BP gets higher etc. But I have found mine very helpful. I'm sure you know that hypertension is 'the silent disease' and, unless it gets really bad, we cannot know when our bodies are at risk. My monitor works for me in that I can use it calmly - if I get a high reading then no problem. If I get persistent high readings over a few days then action is required. Lie down, meditation - all the things that everybody else sees as self-indulgent. Oh yes, then make a big thing of it and take a few hours more!

What does this achieve? Well I know that sometimes my BP gets low and I get that giddy feeling most get when getting up quickly from a hot bath. So for me my BP medication has to be more than x pills per day every day. I take a lower dose and sometimes have to help the pills out with compementary medicine. It works for me, but you have to be the sort of person who can manage a medical condition without becoming an hypochondriac.

Dave

PS if you do decide to get a monitor please make sure the word 'lizard' does not appear anywhere on the packaging.

zelda
Last Drink Date: 29 Mar 2019
First Sober Date: 30 Mar 2019

Post by zelda »

Hey Arc <:)>
what you doing all this way up the boards :o Have you any IDEA how hard I am gonna have to run to catch you up now??
So, I am on day six and you are on??
I imagine we will catch up for a week or a couple of days at least in the two month thread so when I get there, 'may I have the pleasure of this dance' \:)/ \:)/ \:)/
xx
Zelda: "Oh blimey, I could kill a glass of wine".....
Glass of Wine "Oh blimey , I could kill Zelda".....

zelda

Post by zelda »

What are you up for? Rumba or argentine tango :?

BELL03
Last Drink Date: 13 Jan 2014

Post by BELL03 »

Hi, everyone.

Just want to say hi to The 4 Week Challenge thread.

Day 22.

Good Luck everyone. :)
Bella03

Paul65
Last Drink Date: 07 Nov 2011

Post by Paul65 »

Hi Bell, and well done. I'm on the final day of 4 weeks today so will be moving over to the 2 month challenge next, a big step! but am feeling fairly confident now, but of course must not let the guard down. The urges seem to have gone now, and let's face it that's the time when we have to really hang on, so I guess I, we hopefully, have got over the worst of it, so stay strong and I will see you next door.

KraftyKat
Last Drink Date: 28 Jun 2020

Post by KraftyKat »

[quote="Arcturus Now I just need to overcome this lack of motivation to get up and do something! The house is a mess, but all I want to do is sit in front of the fireplace and read or daydream. The thought of going out in the cold rain (it's a wet 3º C where I am) makes me shudder. :(

Arc[/quote]

I've had such a giggle reading the recent posts - so glad to know that I'm not the only crazy around. Witty and literary references to minotaurs and ballet!
Arc - I don't understand your remark about house work. Didn't you know that you're excused domestic stuff when the temperature drops below a certain level AND its damp outside???? (Best thing is to cuddle up with a good book and keep warm until conditions improve. Remember what Quentin Crisp said about dust!!!!)
One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time.
Nancy Astor

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip »

Arcturus just lots of (::) (::) :D :D <:)> <:)> and more :D :D We should really meet up! Oops, bit presumptious there but no thingy intended. Still LOL about the last bit about the monitors

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip »

Ha ha ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: (::) (::) Arcturus Just went back more carefully through the thread. You are even more spot on than I thought! Brilliant. Still got a :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I am not pass-ing a deux wiv me nutcrakers for nobody. Oops. sorry. Different conversation.

BELL03

Post by BELL03 »

Arcturus and Paul65, thank you for the welcome, it was very kind.

Well done Paul65 in moving up, fingers crossed our paths will cross again in a weeks time. :)

Good luck and take care everyone.
Bella03

_Jack_
Last Drink Date: 08 Dec 2015

The 4 Week Challenge

Post by _Jack_ »

Hi everyone lurking on here. Day 25 for me, almost as long as I've ever been.

The big problem is deciding on what to do at Christmas, so many alcohol related associations!

I'm in a good routine at the moment, but I know as soon as I'm off work for about 5 days my self discipline might collapse. I suppose i have to decide whether this is permanent or not.....I think I want it to be but it's getting blurry

zelda

Post by zelda »

Hijack,
you really are doing amazingly well. I remember you on the seven day thread, struggling like mad in the first few days and now look at you :shock:
It is of course a decision that only you can make, but from my experience, reintroducing leads us back and further back to the place from whence we came. Christmas it is true is traditionally one which involves drinking, but if you want to carry on with your new found sobriety, you don't have to think of it as 'perm'. That word in itself often causes problems for many. Why don't you, if you decide you would like to be sober, join the 'christmas doing it sober ' thread? That is not 'forever' but gives you a goal over the festive period.
I hope you don't think I am poking my nose in, it is just that I managed four months sober, and then once I reintroduced, it has taken me more than a year and a half to get my head back into gear, and that along with being diagnosed with fatty liver, which I take as a diagnosis which has 'saved' me and not as a death sentence. I am happy to not be able to drink. To drink would be to aggrivate? (is that how that is spelt) the situation, and make a bad situation worse. To not drink means I might just be able to reverse the damage done.
ANyway, just know that being sober in your head for the day you are existing in is enough to get you through long periods of time. ANd your efforts, which are huge and have allowed you to come this far seem just too big to me to fit in a dustbin :D
respect to you,
zelda

_Jack_
Last Drink Date: 08 Dec 2015

The 4 Week Challenge

Post by _Jack_ »

Thanks so much Zelda for your reply and wise words. I am writing this from my phone so can't really express in enough words how much your reply means to me. I don't think you are poking tour nose in at all.

I also remember you from when I wasn't a member but used to read the posts. That must have been back when you were doing your 4 months.

I can't refer to everything you have written as I'm not at my pc but I have taken on board what you say.

You have got motivation now too and are doing really well, to come back and keep fighting is an inspiration.

I think we need to fail greatly before we can succeed greatly, as someone once said. We need to learn where the pitfalls are.

Thanks again Zelda

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip »

Arcturus - thanks for the (::)

That bit about plagiarism sounds so familiar, You do know the two essential rules for a happy and successful life, don't you?

1. Do not tell people every thing you know.

2. ....................................................

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip »

Glad you liked it Arcturus, but twas not mine. Heard it years ago and don't know who came up with it, but it is so true!

BELL03

Post by BELL03 »

Arcturus, well done on moving up today. (::)

Jack, I am with you a little on the Christmas, should I, shouldn't I, head debate. Unfortunately no decision made as yet.

Zelda, have you seen the scars that the Argentine Tango can inflict on a man? I am glad it is us females who wear the stiletto heels whilst dancing and not the men. <giggles>

Keep up the good work everyone.

Take care,
Bella03

Septem

Post by Septem »

s
Last edited by Septem on 28 Dec 2011 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Tookie
Last Drink Date: 03 Dec 2011

Post by Tookie »

Hello.

I'm skipping the 7 day challenge thread. Stopping alcohol isn't really that hard for me when I decide to do it, (usually when inspired by some heinous and embarassing drunken foolishness). I'm on my 7th day now as my last drink was 3/12/12.
It's keeping off it which is the problem. I think I start to feel comfortable that I have a hold on alcohol and convince myself I'm not an alcoholic and I can stop myself whenever I want, then the cans start cracking open and all the problems start flowing back into my life.
So here I am at the base of Mt. Four Weeks.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.

pandora321

Post by pandora321 »

Congratulations Arcturus 1 Month AF! (::) (::) (::) Magnificent!! <:)>
Have faith in your own recovery....

74 in the 2013 challenge