Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The 1 Year Milestone

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Re: The 1 Year Milestone

Post by fiz » 01 Nov 2019 07:09

Good morning 1 year people, I think I need to change the CD, Celine Dion, all by myself, was playing when I came in. :lol: :lol2:
Have a good’un <:)>
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Mooths
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2018

Post by Mooths » 01 Nov 2019 08:37

Morning! Sorry I didn’t manage to post yesterday - when I hit 10 month sober!
I set myself an ambitious to-do list this week which has held me to account. Have made big inroads into tasks hanging over me but there’s still lots to do. Feeling great satisfaction, though, from blitzing the house, washing and ironing a vast backlog of laundry, and buying a new shower curtain (!). It certainly helps to have forced myself out of bed two hours earlier than usual - like quitting booze, it has bought me so many more hours in the day! Now for some admin...
“Being extremely honest with oneself is a good exercise.” ~ Sigmund Freud

fiz

Post by fiz » 01 Nov 2019 19:27

Go Mooths. ;)? I’ve started decorating, maybe this is another part of recovery :?: not sure about that, but it’s making me feel better. :P I’ve painted my bathroom, and just starting the gloss on the staircase,

Mooths

Post by Mooths » 02 Nov 2019 10:08

I’m impressed, Fiz! Today starts another action-packed weekend. I ran in the rain this morning (ugh) but now back in the warmth, watching my family watch the rugby (not my thing - I’ve tried, I really have) and gearing up for a big work dinner tonight. Last year this event left me with one of the worst hangovers of my life, two hours’ drive from home, with colleagues waiting for me to pull myself together so I could give them a lift. How different it will be this year! I am already polishing my halo.

fiz

Post by fiz » 03 Nov 2019 10:52

Yeah, go in there with your head held high Mooths. Have a lovely evening.
I’ve just had a soggy 6 mile walk through the woods, shower, for dogs then me, then off to see my grandchildren. <:)>

Mooths

Post by Mooths » 04 Nov 2019 21:51

Quick hello from me tonight just before bed. First day back at work after a break and I’m bushed!

fiz

Post by fiz » 05 Nov 2019 05:20

Good morning Mooths.
I’ve got a heavy work week this week, but only because I’m going on holiday next week with my grandchildren and their parents, looking forward to it, but loads to do before I go.
I’ve been reading up on PAWS, I think I have just come through an episode of this, I have definitely had most of the symptoms more than once on this journey, it says it takes about 2 year for all of the chemical imbalance, and any damage we may have done to our brains to recover, if it is going to recover at all. Perhaps, 2 year should be the target to go for next? I’ve only got another couple of weeks to hit my 1 year target, that’s great, I know, but I’m a little bit apprehensive, I’ve read of so many stumbling here, this terrifies me, if I stumble now, I know, I’ll be down for a long long time. The challenges have been great for me this time around, I have literally thrown myself into them, but I can’t help thinking, I know my stupid addicted self, I’ll think, what now? I know I can’t moderate, unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to help when I decide to have a fk it moment. I’ve no intention of drinking, now or on holiday for that matter, but needed to write these feelings down. They make me sad, even to think like this, to risk, losing what I have now is really heartbreaking, why would any of us even contemplate it, yet, we all have, we’ve all done it time after time.
Sorry for the doom and gloom, I don’t really feel that low, but that has been niggling in the back of my mind for at least a month, and I just needed to log it somewhere, and where better than on here.
Have a lovely day Mooths, and thank you for travelling this journey with me, you have been the perfect companion and I appreciate it more than you know. Xx

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 05 Nov 2019 07:24

it takes about 2 year for all of the chemical imbalance, and any damage we may have done to our brains to recover, if it is going to recover at all. Perhaps, 2 year should be the target to go for next? I’ve only got another couple of weeks to hit my 1 year target, that’s great, I know, but I’m a little bit apprehensive, I’ve read of so many stumbling here, this terrifies me, if I stumble now, I know, I’ll be down for a long long time.
Fiz, I don't think it's doom and gloom, I think it's realism! Your thoughts quoted above were mine too. Setting two years as the next target is what I did, and I'm so glad I did. In the early part of the second year I had a couple of bouts of PAWS, and I think if I hadn't had the focus of the two-year target (and my "no matter what" mantra) I think I would have been in very grave danger.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 05 Nov 2019 12:21

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot!

I shall be setting off fireworks, maybe only metaphorically, in 6 days time! I hear that's when one has to really be careful for complacency...
Enough time wasted on this.

zelda
Last Drink Date: 29 Mar 2019
First Sober Date: 30 Mar 2019

Post by zelda » 05 Nov 2019 12:33

Fiz. <:)> <:)> <:)>
I can only imagine the feelings you have. i imagine the insecurity of the 'security' of having a year under your belt. I am SO sure that you will manage to get that two year target to be logical in your head. And failing that, you will be logical enough to know that your new way of life is a much better option than regret, and self hate and all the rest that goes with voluntarily drinking poison.

Don't take this as an insult (which for your info I just typed as inslut :? ), but if I offered you a piece of cake and said how much I loved it but that it made me feel bad, made me cry, made me hate myself, made others walk away from me, you would think WTF are you eating it for then?

Ya get me girl? ;)? <:)> <:)> <:)>
Zelda: "Oh blimey, I could kill a glass of wine".....
Glass of Wine "Oh blimey , I could kill Zelda".....

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 05 Nov 2019 13:00

Fiz. I agree with our Zelda. I think it's important to get your feelings down and this is a good place do it. I can't add much to what has been offered here. I don't want to sound arrogant but I hope to hell that my recent stumble hasn't influenced your thinking in any way. All those thoughts about letting go and picking up again are just ... well ... bullshit. If we are here we have a drinking problem. We know what will happen if we put our hands in the fire. The grass is NOT greener on the other side of the fence when it comes to drinking. As a matter of fact there isn't even grass over there. There is only dust and despair.

So many of the survivors in these parts all say the same thing. It's about changing your mindset. I may not post but I read all of your words and they give me a warm feeling to see you doing so well. I admire your positiveness and your mindset. Your grandchildren, your dogs and chickens and your continued support to so many here. I am inspired by your sobriety. We all want a better life for ourselves and that better life will not and can not include alcohol. That's the sad truth but is it really so sad ?

I for one am looking to celebrating your one year milestone with you.

It's a wonderful day here in my valley. No hangover and my morning coffee and something that alcohol never offers the morning after. An appetite. Take care. Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

fiz

Post by fiz » 05 Nov 2019 14:11

Soberboots, Zelda, & cowboy, thank you all so much for your support, <:)> and of course you are all very right.
Soberboots, I think I may share that “no matter what” mantra, for the next year. I did a lot of reading on line and on here, re PAWS, It was so me, not a doubt in my mind, I am having episodes of this.
Zelda, <:)> as if you could offend me? You are correct, if alcohol were, cake, chocolate anything else, no, we wouldn’t have it “no matter what”,if it made us as ill.
Cowboy, thank you for your words of wisdom, the grass is definitely not greener on the other side of that fence, I’ve been face down in that dust, and full of despair.

fiz

Post by fiz » 05 Nov 2019 14:13

Ed wrote:
05 Nov 2019 12:21
Remember, remember, the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot!

I shall be setting off fireworks, maybe only metaphorically, in 6 days time! I hear that's when one has to really be careful for complacency...

Yeah, Ed, not long now, You are smashing it, you deserve your fireworks. (::) ;)? \:)/

Mooths

Post by Mooths » 06 Nov 2019 12:02

Lovely reading all this - what a supportive crowd we are privileged to have around us. Have a great day, everyone, revelling in your sobriety.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 06 Nov 2019 12:06

Big hugs to everyone, what lovely reading and great advice. <:)> <:)>
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

fiz

Post by fiz » 07 Nov 2019 05:09

Good morning <:)>
I’m off on holiday on Saturday with family, we are staying up in Scotland. I’m really looking forward to it. Some of them drink, some of them don’t, it will be odd for some of them to see me not drinking, but I can’t imagine any pressure to do so, from any of them.
Have a lovely day.

Mooths

Post by Mooths » 07 Nov 2019 07:49

Wow, I hope you have a wonderful holiday, Fiz, and that the weather is kind to you. Family, in my experience, are the most accepting of the reformed drinker - particularly those who have been close to us and seen us at our worst. That said, some of my very close family are very heavy drinkers whose abuse of alcohol is highlighted all the more by my abstinence. Can't win, really!

fiz

Post by fiz » 08 Nov 2019 07:11

Thanks Mooths,
I’m looking forward to a break.
Have a lovely Friday. <:)>

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 08 Nov 2019 21:37

fiz wrote:
07 Nov 2019 05:09
Good morning <:)>
I’m off on holiday on Saturday with family, we are staying up in Scotland. I’m really looking forward to it. Some of them drink, some of them don’t, it will be odd for some of them to see me not drinking, but I can’t imagine any pressure to do so, from any of them.
Have a lovely day.
Have a nice time Fiz. I thought you lived in Scotland for some reason.
Enough time wasted on this.

fiz

Post by fiz » 09 Nov 2019 06:43

Thanks Ed.
No, I don’t live in Scotland, I live in the borders.
Have a brill weekend everyone. <:)>