Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Six Month Challenge

Tobin
Site Admin

The Six Month Challenge

Post by Tobin » 15 Oct 2009 16:03

To complement the other challenges, and bridge the gap up to one year, here's a six month thread.

Lel
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2010

Re: The Six Month Challenge

Post by Lel » 15 Oct 2009 20:17

Yey - thank you admin.

Count me in too - although I will be posting on the 1 year thread shortly - just doing a bit more mental preparation :)

Lel xx
"If you encounter a problem along your way...change your direction, not your destination."

Tink

Post by Tink » 16 Oct 2009 01:08

Hey Bec,

How about some Velcro? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)>

I might try it too!
Life is a journey not a destination. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Tink

Post by Tink » 16 Oct 2009 13:00

Rebecca wrote:Tink,

Try to do this one with me!

I don't need velcro, I need a flight attendant who says "Sit down and put on your seatbelt, we are experiencing some turbulence." But you can't serve wine. Ninja could be the pilot, so he better not be drinking! Hehe <:)> <:)> <:)>

Bec
Sounds good to me sugar. Climb on board and lets go. Come fly pixie airline. I think Velcro might be a nice seat belt option is what I meant. <:)> <:)> <:)>
1267604.jpg
Life is a journey not a destination. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Paquin
Last Drink Date: 08 Dec 2013

Post by Paquin » 21 Oct 2009 09:35

Well, this is one challenge I would like to make. I was a few days off reaching 6 months when I then had a drink so now I am back starting over.

Can I be on the 6 month thread and the three month?

Paquin

Lel

Post by Lel » 21 Oct 2009 09:59

Hi Paquin

I'm sure you will be able to do whatever works for you.

At the moment I'm on the 6 month thread and the 1 year and I have a private plan B if I struggle with either of these goals but so far so good :)

Good luck!

Lel x
"If you encounter a problem along your way...change your direction, not your destination."

Paquin
Last Drink Date: 08 Dec 2013

Post by Paquin » 22 Oct 2009 08:26

Hi Lel and Rebecca,

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to making it through this six month challenge.

All the best,

Paquin x

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 31 Oct 2009 15:49

I am aiming for 6 months, too; would become my personal best.
I am reasonably confident, too, Happy.
But like you (?) I am focused more on 3 months right now.
Feeling like that one is in the bag . . . but I feel I must acknowledge a wee bit of uncertainty, so as not to tempt fate????????
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

Tink

Post by Tink » 01 Nov 2009 03:12

Good for you Bela! That is how I am too. I am not going to let myself become to comfortable this time. That way no surprises that I can't handle I hope. Tricky this thing is and too much confidence and down I might go. Know what I mean? I got a bit to confidant last time and look what happened. It is working for me this time just keeping my guard up and taking it one day at a time. Not really looking at the days to much. Just getting through each day and enjoying them the best I can. Trying not to let not drinking be as big a drain as drinking was. I use to think about drinking all the time...When,how and so on. I don't want to spend my life doing that with not drinking as well. I want to just have it like this is how it is and live with it. Does that make sense to you? Don't want to think about it all the time. Being here doesn't bother me like some who are trying not to think about it. I don't mind being here for a couple hours or an hour a day and giving back. It is outside of here that I am talking about. I don't want to spend my whole life saying to myself will this make me drink? I want to know that I am not going to drink no matter what so I need to find a way to do that. We all do I guess if that is our ultimate goal. We all have different ones though.. Mine is nothing at all for the rest of my life. I really don't miss it now. It is just a mental thing sometimes and I know that. A habit. Like biting my nails was really now. I stopped biting my nails and I can stop this too. I catch myself once in a while putting my nails in my mouth and not biting but kinda chewing at it. I don't bit it though and put my hand down. My nails are nice now and I don't want to mess them up. Same with the drink, I am feeling good and have a bit of time and I don't want to mess that up. I think it will get better. The next thing I will do is to stop smoking. I need to get a bit stronger first though and I am thinking just after Christmas and New Years this year. I will see and then I will be on that thread too. :roll: :lol: <:)>

Have a good night and talk to you tomorrow.

Teri/Tink

Lel

Post by Lel » 06 Nov 2009 07:25

Yey!!! One month down - five to go :D

Lel xx

thewho
Last Drink Date: 04 Aug 2015

Post by thewho » 09 Nov 2009 14:11

hiya all

mind if I join the 6 month challenge? Have done 15 weeks so far... how is everyone?

thewho

STB
Last Drink Date: 10 Dec 2013

Post by STB » 16 Nov 2009 21:31

Hello all. Finished my three months today - am now signing up for the six month challenge... gosh scary but exciting. I know now I can do it and I am glad that I am in such good company :D :D
“When I became an imprint of my surroundings, I began to disappear into the tragedy of acceptance.”

Yorkie
Last Drink Date: 20 Jun 2011

Post by Yorkie » 16 Nov 2009 21:33

Way to go STB - you are already half way there :D love Yorkie <:)>
In order to be truly happy in this life I have to give up all hope of a better past.

STB

Post by STB » 17 Nov 2009 09:12

Hello Yorkie!! Thank you - you know I really could not have done it without you... miss our old buddy Moread, but hopefully she will come back soon. Not so many people in the six month room... but I am determined. Had a horrible dream last night that I had started drinking again - I was literally covered in a cold sweat when I woke up. It was awful. But, thank goodness, all is well and I am still sober! I have a manically busy day today - been doing research for a big meeting in bed! - but I have learned very well that I MUST come in here twice a day. It is so easy to lose focus. But I shall not. We are going to make it, you and me!!! And a few others out there too... ;)
“When I became an imprint of my surroundings, I began to disappear into the tragedy of acceptance.”

Yorkie

Post by Yorkie » 17 Nov 2009 10:11

Hi STB, I'll jog along here beside you - I often think about Moread, I've pm'd her, so she knows that we are here for her when the time is right.
Live in general is good. Living without alcohol does mean that the difficult times have to be dealt with there and then, no hiding in a bottle and being distracted by the outcome of drinking, but, I have dealt with stuff and I know that you have too, so the prognosis is good. We are both learning how to deal with reality - or life on lifes terms (as they would say in AA) That is something that I never quite grasped...and though "what a daft saying" when I used to hear it over and over. Now, I get it. I it helps me come to terms with the difficult areas in my life (the past esp.) that I would like to be different.
I have recently aquired some fish, and in for the tank, it's possible to get various 3d back drops which create different settings for their life...Next time, perhaps I'll come back as a fish... :)
Anyway, just a little meandering there:
I hope your meeting goes well, I'm just catching up with things that didn't get done yesterday. I'll go into work to do some case follow ups,no clients today tho. Then I have to prepare for a planning day on Wed, then training day on Thurs...Thanks goodness my black cloud was short lived and has now passed.

If I had drunk because of the way that I was feeling, It would be a very different story, guilt, hang over, childeren not speaking to me, they wouldn't have got up for school. AND there would still be the issue that brought me down to be dealt with - Halalluja, praise the Lord.
Love Yorkie
In order to be truly happy in this life I have to give up all hope of a better past.

sue
Last Drink Date: 10 Jul 2011

Post by sue » 17 Nov 2009 10:24

Well done Yorkie, you seem to have found a tremendous strength. With so much going on in your life right now you have done remarkably well. Sobriety is a lot easier when all is going well but to be strong when its not is something you should be very proud of. Hope today runs more smoothly for you <:)> <:)> <:)>
Sue xx

STB

Post by STB » 17 Nov 2009 22:47

Oh Yorkie, honestly I could not be in better company... It really seems so simple now doesn't it? The reasons for not drinking... Yes I was literally terrified of thinking I could never have a drink again not ever. Really really would have given almost anything up instead of alcohol... I was going to say "can you believe that" but of course you can... I have done a lot of soul searching too and find my addicitive behaviour really goes beyond alcohol. Food took over for a while there and strong coffee made a play. Relationships (usually damaging non meaningful ones) were also a constant in my life. Now I have realised that my life and being me is pretty good. I do not get lonely and I have rekindled a fantastic relationship with my son... after three pretty shaky years... I found myself thinking about going to Cornwall today - a place where everything was based before on not having to drive, so drinking could be indulged. But not anymore... And I have tackled the weight/food issue..

So, here we are and here we stand. I am glad I have you - you are a rock to me and a constant in this fight for freedom, because I do feel free for the first time in a very very long time.

Love
STB xxx

STB

Post by STB » 18 Nov 2009 06:45

Morning six month challengers - just a quick hello to say still fighting the fight... see you later! xxx

STB

Post by STB » 19 Nov 2009 20:00

Hello six month challengers... had a good if busy day, I really need a good sleep and to remember I need my sleep! There seems to be so much to do in my life at the moment that suddenly it is 11pm! Still not making that mistake tonight - I want to be shipshape for the weekend!! :D

Yorkie

Post by Yorkie » 19 Nov 2009 20:10

Hi STB...just picking myself up having had a little stumble...still here and fighting the good fight. Well done you - fantastic..Love Yorkie <:)>