Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Six Month Challenge

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Re: The Six Month Challenge

Post by SueDenim » 14 Jan 2018 23:12

Thanks, Wapati and Trojan.

I drink a lot of vitamin drinks (Berocca-style), and have some Natural Calm magnesium somewhere. I will start taking a glass of that to bed. I can put up with the aches and pains if I know that they are not a sign of something more sinister. In my head, I know that 4-5 months is not long enough to undo decades of damage; but it all preys on my mind, particularly when I can't sleep - it's vicious circle, really.

I like the thought that we can't go back, but can go forward. I need to concentrate more on that, and learn to take things as they come, rather than worry about what might happen.

Thanks again for your replies. x

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 17 Jan 2018 17:29

Trojan wrote:We must let go of the old life in order to reach out and grasp the new :-) <:)>
Thank you Trojan. As always, I appreciate your guidance and support. Honestly, the only ones that were directly effected by my alcoholism were, my Husband, my Son and myself of course. They have both been forgiving and understanding from the beginning. I have 2 sisters and told both of them that I am a recovering alcoholic. I recently spoke with the one I am closest to, she told me she was shocked when I had told her, she had no idea.Evidently I kept it well hidden outside of our home. Most of the time I just concentrate on feeling good about where I am right now, but occasionally, something reminds me of how I behaved when I was drinking. My Husband is the one who directly caught most of my anger. Our Son had the misfortune of hearing it and attempting to mediate. I consider myself a kind and compassionate person. I am sometimes still shocked and ashamed at the intense anger I exhibited when I was drunk. I truly believe they have forgiven me. They both remind me of how thrilled they are to "have me back". Now I just have to truly forgive myself for my mistakes. Challenging as it is, I am getting there. :)

Hello Sue :\: I hope you have been able to relax a little and are feeling well. I am in hopes your sleep will improve. It is so difficult to break a circle of thoughts and behavior, and that can absolutely effect your sleep as well.
I took magnesium for a while and still take B1 by tablet form and a, B complex ,sublingual, in liquid form daily. Maybe, over time, this will help you. I do hope so. <:)>

Hopes for a good day. Frigid again here, but I am armed with lots of layers. :D
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

Steve54
Last Drink Date: 03 Mar 2018
First Sober Date: 03 Mar 2018

Post by Steve54 » 17 Jan 2018 18:57

Hi Wapati

It is so sad to recall how we have treated our loved ones when drunk.

I have many regrets but we must look forward and realise we will never put them through that ever again

Steve
I post daily to remind myself of my addiction to alcohol. Each dry day is not to be taken for granted as temptation is merely a sip away

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 18 Jan 2018 00:12

You're right, Steve (and the others). It's really difficult, though. I think the longer I have been sober, and the clearer my mind has become, the worse this is getting. My children have left home now, so I'm not sure how to make things up to them.

I wasn't horrible to them, I don't think; but they regularly saw me the worse for wine, and it can't have been pleasant for them, particularly in front of their friends.

Wapati, I am throwing all I can at the sleep thing. I am going to start sleep restriction therapy, and have ordered Magnesium flakes with lavender and geranium scent for the bath (apparently it sinks in through the skin). I also have a magnesium drink and a stash of vitamins, so let's see how it goes :D.

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 19 Jan 2018 12:26

A quick message for UK posters who are interested in magnesium baths - Home Bargains have magnesium flakes in on special offer. I think they were £2.99 a bag, which was less than half price. I didn't get any, as I had just ordered a (much more expensive :evil:) bag from Amazon, but if they work, I'll get the HB ones next time.

Wish me luck, as I am off for my weekend away this afternoon. I will be taking AF drinks, but I know that my friends will be drinking wine in the evenings, and when it is poured at the dinner table it will be hard to resist.

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 19 Jan 2018 14:05

SueDenim wrote:Wish me luck, as I am off for my weekend away this afternoon. I will be taking AF drinks, but I know that my friends will be drinking wine in the evenings, and when it is poured at the dinner table it will be hard to resist.
I know you can resist Sue. Just keep in mind how good you will feel the next morning ( both physically AND mentally :) ) Not to mention, we are here if you need to release. Hope you can thoroughly enjoy an AF weekend Sue <:)>

Steve54 wrote:I have many regrets but we must look forward and realise we will never put them through that ever again

I agree Steve. Life is is too good for them and us to go back. Moving forward is what we must all do.
Hope you and yours are well Steve. :D
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

Steve54

Post by Steve54 » 19 Jan 2018 18:47

Every confidence in you Sue....enjoy the weekend

All good here Wapati...pleased all is well with you and yours x

Steve
I post daily to remind myself of my addiction to alcohol. Each dry day is not to be taken for granted as temptation is merely a sip away

Steve54

Post by Steve54 » 21 Jan 2018 17:18

Congrats Wapati on 5 months dry (::) (::) (::)

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 21 Jan 2018 19:32

Congratulations Wapati \:)/

Your posts are a pleasure to read, and it's great to see you continue your progress :D

Moose pancakes are served in the Lounge to mark the occasion :)
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Steve54

Post by Steve54 » 21 Jan 2018 20:38

You’re doing brill Pork

How are you?

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 21 Jan 2018 22:13

I do appreciate all of the support :D.
Thanks everyone :D

( thank you for the adorable pancakes Trojan :) This is how pancakes should always be served! :lol: )
C.S. Lewis

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 22 Jan 2018 18:48

SueDenim wrote:Wish me luck
Did you enjoy your weekend Sue? :)
C.S. Lewis

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 22 Jan 2018 20:56

wapati3 wrote:Did you enjoy your weekend Sue? :)
I did thanks :). I got back today.

We got through 12 films over the weekend, which isn't bad going. We ate lots of food and chocolate, and I stayed AF throughout, although the others were drinking wine with dinner and then for the rest of the evenings.

I'm really feeling that I can do this. I've got through Christmas, my birthday, New Year, a coach trip weekend, and several lunch dates without drinking. I'm not being complacent; but I can't help thinking that I have 'done' most of the firsts, so the next times will be easier. I just wish I could get my sleep sorted out, and some of the health niggles would go away; but I know it's early days.

Congratulations on 5 months sober!

Steve, Pork, Trojan, anyone else, I hope you are all doing well, too.

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 23 Jan 2018 13:56

SueDenim wrote:I did thanks :)
That is great to hear Sue. :) I would agree, you CAN do this. You have overcome some rather large hurdles, no reason to stop now. :D

Hopes for a wonderful day <:)>
C.S. Lewis

Steve54

Post by Steve54 » 23 Jan 2018 19:20

Sue

Great to hear of your success

Keep on chalking up the days (::)

tj_okay
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2017

Post by tj_okay » 23 Jan 2018 22:24

hey there, I' on day 29, finding it tough right now, was in a bit of a weird place mentally the last few weeks so haven't really properly felt the absence of alcohol until the last week. Anyway, hope to get to know you all and hope you don't mind me joining this one rather than the 3 month one but the 3 month one seems a bit dead.
peace
Insert inspirational quote here....

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 23 Jan 2018 23:03

Thanks, Steve :mrgreen:

Welcome,tj. The more the merrier! Day 29 is a good way in, so stick with it. Are you feeling the benefits yet?

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 24 Jan 2018 22:48

Hi, 6 monthers 8-).

How is everyone doing? tj_okay, are you still with us? Pork, Wapati, Steve, Trojan, I hope you are all doing well, too. I know some of you have moved on to other challenges, but it's always good to see you on here.

I was at my knitting group this morning, and realised how many things I have made since I stopped drinking. I used to knit with a bottle of wine by my side, and spent as much time correcting mistakes as making actual progress - madness (w).

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 25 Jan 2018 07:44

Pork wrote:23rd of May will be six months for me.
If I can make it to there I think I will have cracked it ;)?
When i joined here i was already 14 months sober, but i was very worried about the fear of relapse, complacency plays in big part in that .
For me the mental addiction was/is the hardest thing , it's all very much a learning curve an ongoing one if I'm honest , finding out who we are without this poisonous prop , it's interesting and at times difficult but of course soo worth it .
One day at a time serves me very well ;)?
Well done to all on here , this is a good wedge of sobriety (::)
I only mention any of the above pork cos i want you to remain well, hope that is obvious and i haven't come across smug..never my intention ever.
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 25 Jan 2018 08:40

Nothing wrong with celebrating your sobriety date Chris , i definitely do (::) (::)
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.