Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Special Occasion/Weekend Challenges

Blifter

Re: Special Occasion/Weekend Challenges

Post by Blifter » 13 Oct 2018 00:23

Great to see you going along so well, Cowboy - enjoy the weekend (and a treat!).

Best, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Boxer

Post by Boxer » 13 Oct 2018 09:03

Cowboy, that was such a vivid account of Canada, brought back such lovely memories. Glad to see you’re doing so well. This AF journey is hard but it sure beats the hell out of drunken days and hangovers!
Keep on keeping on everyone. One day at a time. X

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 13 Oct 2018 12:03

Thanks Blifter. Much appreciated. It's a hard road some times but well worth the effort. And those Saturday mornings without the hangover are the best. Nothing like waking up with nothing but a healthy appetite looking forward to a nice Saturday morning breakfast.

The geese have all gone south are are well on there way. They don't like the snow too much. The tress are letting their leaves drop and there is a blanket or orange and red leaves to rake up. We used to be able to burn the leaves but there are rules about that in my part of the world now. It's unfortunate. I used love that smell and it really was the essence of autumn here.

Have a great AF day and weekend people.

Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 15 Oct 2018 02:41

Guess I was wrong about the geese and the weather. Had an absolutely wonderful autumn day. Huge flock of geese flew by overhead. You could hear them honking for miles and then they were there. Awesome sight and I was stone cold sober to enjoy every moment.

Any sober wagon in my pocket. Not gonna say it was an easy one but I pushed through and any shitty day is better than being back drinking. Guaranteed.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Boxer

Post by Boxer » 15 Oct 2018 07:35

Morning all. Your right Cowboy, any crap day is better than a hangover and another day 1. Glad this weekend is over as I’ve questioned my commitment to sobriety. Thankfully it is now Monday morning and another AF weekend is behind me. Have a good week. X

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 16 Oct 2018 11:19

Way to go Flobie. Getting a few weekends of sobriety in sets a good foundation for the weeks. If you can learn to love those sober Saturdays and Sundays it is very motivational. Keep it up and keep posting. Cowboy.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 19 Oct 2018 10:40

Talk about Special Occasions and Weekend Challenges I will hit the 50 day mark this weekend. I know it's really no biggy but those sober weekends are piling up and I am honestly beginning to enjoy them. There is something about waking up on a Saturday or Sunday morning without the hangover and all the guilt and anxiety that comes along with that. And Sunday? No reason to taper off. No reason to shut it down early for the night so I can wake up in time to get into work. Drinking really is a lot of work sometimes. All the planning, All the scheming and worst of all ... all the deception.

Neal
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2020

Post by Neal » 19 Oct 2018 10:52

Cowboy wrote:
19 Oct 2018 10:40
Talk about Special Occasions and Weekend Challenges I will hit the 50 day mark this weekend. I know it's really no biggy...
Yes it is, old boy. Fantastic!
Cowboy wrote:
And Sunday? No reason to taper off. No reason to shut it down early for the night so I can wake up in time to get into work. Drinking really is a lot of work sometimes. All the planning, All the scheming and worst of all ... all the deception.
Hence the reason I was drinking whisky for breakfast last weekend.
I'll celebrate your tenacity with a strong black cowboy coffee and some beans Cowboy, as I enjoy my first sober weekend in a while (all being well, if the universe permits etc.)

Well done.
"...all that road going, and all the people dreaming in the immensity of it... and tonight the stars'll be out, and don't you know that God is Pooh Bear?"

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 19 Oct 2018 10:58

Neal wrote:
19 Oct 2018 10:52
Cowboy wrote:
Talk about Special Occasions and Weekend Challenges I will hit the 50 day mark this weekend. I know it's really no biggy...
Yes it is, old boy. Fantastic!
Hear hear! That's great work, Cowboy - well done ;)? (::)
Cowboy wrote:
There is something about waking up on a Saturday or Sunday morning without the hangover and all the guilt and anxiety that comes along with that. And Sunday? No reason to taper off. No reason to shut it down early for the night so I can wake up in time to get into work. Drinking really is a lot of work sometimes. All the planning, All the scheming and worst of all ... all the deception.
That's the thing I've never understood about my own drinking. It's supposed to be relaxing, and yet it takes so much effort. Either you drink to your heart's (supposed) content and wind up wiping out the next day with a huge, insufferable hangover (who but a drinker would ever make themselves ill on purpose?), or you force yourself to drink "sensibly", which is tiring and unsatisfying.

Here's to a happy sober weekend for us all ;)?
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 20 Oct 2018 13:58

Gracias mi amigos. Saturday mornings without a hangover are the best.

Imagine. Waking up with a smile on your face waiting to appreciate what the day will bring.

Have a great AF weekend everybody.

Happy Cowboy.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 20 Oct 2018 16:24

Cowboy
50th birthday.jpg
50th birthday.jpg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Neal
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2020

Post by Neal » 20 Oct 2018 17:08

Well done compañero.
Glad I made it back in time for the party.

Cowboy wrote:
20 Oct 2018 13:58
Gracias mi amigos.
"...all that road going, and all the people dreaming in the immensity of it... and tonight the stars'll be out, and don't you know that God is Pooh Bear?"

Boxer

Post by Boxer » 20 Oct 2018 18:40

Happy birthday cowboy. Have a good AF one. X

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 20 Oct 2018 21:19

Way to go Cowboy 🍪

50 days sober is a real achievement - remember when you and I were on the Cutting Down thread?I'm fairly sure 5 days felt like a constant uphill battle then, it certainly was for me anyway, so don't underestimate how far you've come since then.It's not just about the number of days either, you sound so much at ease with yourself and that's ultimately what it's all about.Well, that and cookies :D

It's been a good day here, though I still find the weekend more of a struggle than I'd like to.My strategy of keeping busy during the day then lazing on the sofa and eating a lot in the evening seems to be working so far.I'm cooking a lot and really enjoying it, my latest project is to make the perfect chocolate mousse and though I say so myself it's going really well.

I hope everyone has a peaceful weekend and a hangover-free Sunday morning 8-)

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 20 Oct 2018 23:46

my latest project is to make the perfect chocolate mousse and though I say so myself it's going really well.
Could you put the recipe on the cooking thread, when perfected?
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 21 Oct 2018 12:07

caroline95 wrote:
20 Oct 2018 21:19
remember when you and I were on the Cutting Down thread?
Yes I remember those days well Sweet Caroline. And if I am honest with myself there is still a part of me that wishes that I could just cut down on my drinking. But this cowboy has always been a dreamer and that's all those thoughts are - wishes and dreams. I'm not going to be so brash as to say I will never fall again but if I do I will eventually get up. It has taken a long time for me to truly recognize and accept that I cannot be a "normal" drinker. What ever a normal drinker is. I need to stay away from it. That's the best road for me. If I waver, I waver but I will always need to reset. So why not reset for good ? Aye. There's the question I have been turning over and over in this thick skull of mine - for a very long time. Too long !!!

I know one thing. Weekend sobriety is working at the moment for me. I am enjoying my sober days off and I am ready to go on Monday. Not a feeling like a bag of crap dragging myself out of bed to make a living.

Happy sober Sunday all. Cowboy.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 22 Oct 2018 00:37

Weekend 8 in in the bag. Staring to gain momentum.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 27 Oct 2018 09:43

Made it through another week and this one was a tough one. Happy to say on weekend 9 and staying strong. Lots going on and it would be easy to turn some of the bad stuff off by getting obliterated but that won't help. I know it - I've learned it.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 27 Oct 2018 20:33

Big boots to follow cowboy, you’re doing absolutely great (::) (::) (::)

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 28 Oct 2018 21:53

Thanks Spats.

Happy to log in on a Sunday night to say I made it through the weekend AF. Looking forward to waking up on Monday ready to face the week. Next weekend when I sign on it will be 2 full months of sobriety. Feeling positive about a future without alcohol.

Cowboy.