Christmas: Doing it sober and in style

notorious

Re: 2011 Christmas Challenge

Post by notorious »

Hi All

OK - First off - this is going to sound extremely selfish and self indulgant. Mainly because it is.

But what the hey. Here goes.

Personally, for all my feeble attempts at making light of things, I don't think the title of the thread should change. I know it's a bit early, but like it or not, the run up to Christmas is starting.

People are starting to plan, shops are starting to stock up, children are starting to dare to dream ahead (despite having only just gone back to school - my ex's monkeys and little niece certainly are, though they might not admit it!); blink for a second and it'll be jingle bells all around before you can say 'go on, then just a small sherry..!'

Just my tuppance worth; BUT...

Thing is, I don't think it hurts to think ahead, even just briefly. For myself, 2009 was a kind of enforced AF t affair, I hated it. I didn't have a 'problem' then, you see, I was cured. Ho ho ho.. :roll: Still, I showed 'willing while secretly planning my next private booze-a-thon.

2010 was ace, though. I had the year firmly in my sights and was starting to love life again; last Christmas was truly fantastic for me. Completely AF, looking good, feeling good, not hung over, in control yaddayaddayadda....

2011, however, seems, here and now, more than a little bit daunting. Hell, a lot daunting! I'm still only just summoning the courage to start posting again in the relative anonimity of an internet message board specifically geared toward folks just like me who are doing whatever they can to overcome a very specific problem, so getting back into the 'real world' is, as I'm sure you can imagine, another level altogether. Christmas right now just fills me with dread and fear. I hadn't given it a thought until coming back here, but I'm very glad I have done now.

Alone, I'll maybe crumble and give in, it's Christmas, end of the year, f**k it, it's been a shambles anyway so what's to lose, right?

With company, I'll maybe crumble and give in, it's Christmas, end of the year, f**k it, it's been a shambles anyway so what's to lose, right?

For all my tongue in cheek stupid remarks, to be absolutely honest, I'm shitting it ahead of this year. Already. I'm hoping the board, and this thread, will help a bit.

Maria
Last Drink Date: 13 Jul 2019
First Sober Date: 14 Jul 2019

Post by Maria »

No worries Notorious
not selfish at all I did ask what people thought.. and at the end of the day its about the same thing ..keeping us all sober.. ;)?
I'm sure the board and this thread will help you ..and me .. ()o
xmas does start far too early I think we are the only country in the world like it .. already i've booked up our xmas (cos I had too) and we have a xmas function booked in November ... :o
Have a good one all ..
Mar \:)/ ia
evening I meant ..not xmas... well not yet ,, :lol:
Never stop trying... Never stop believing .. Never give up .. Your day will come !

JFDI

Post by JFDI »

Wow... 2011 Christmas Challenge. I agree with Notorous. Before we know it we will be hearing all the Christmas Carols and putting up the decerations.

I have never experienced a AF Christmas or New Year since l can remember.Its a huge challenge for me but lm up for it.. We go away every christmas and this year we are off with some friend who only drink very sparingly, so that will be a bit easier.. This is a goal of mine that l hope to achieve..

Christmas here we come !!!

Tamxo

Wayne
Last Drink Date: 02 Mar 2014

Post by Wayne »

Morning all from a rather humid South wales, for a change. lol.

Its been a while since my last post and its so nice to see so many new people all like me trying to control the demon drink.

For those who remember me, i am OK , still having a beer or 6,lol!!!!! no seriously i must say have really cut down and have not touched red wine for 4 months, as most of you remember i used to shift 2 or 3 pints Stella / bow, washed down with 3 bottles of red a night, shocking.lol

Well i am feeling a lot healthier these days dropped almost 2 stone in weight but i do have a few lagers about twice a week, not too bad but like us all i am striving for total abstinence. I am training so well these days and i am feeling good about my body and mind, now thats a nice change. lol .

Its seems a long time ago now from when i started here 27th December 10, and went 39 days clear of alcohol, a lot has happened in between and like all here we are constantly trying to improve, it is a long road and a lot of temptation and wrong decisions in between, however keep on going like i say, "make small steps to make long yards", if that makes sense. ha ha ha .
Take care all.

Regards,

Wayne.

Maria
Last Drink Date: 13 Jul 2019
First Sober Date: 14 Jul 2019

Post by Maria »

Great to hear from you Wayne ;)? and doing so well ... \:)/ Weight booze the lot ..
Had a few slips but have jumped straight back on the wagon.. but when I slip I really do ..no moderation for me .. :(
hey ho getting there
Have a good one Mar \:)/ ia
Never stop trying... Never stop believing .. Never give up .. Your day will come !

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ »

So, has anyone thought of their Christmas list yet? I personally think I will get myself or ask for something special to celebrate my first sober Christmas- extra motivation if you like. But...what?
What ideas have others got?
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

although ive had more lapses than hot dinners, i did spend last xmas & new year AF, and from what i remember i was kinda miserable about it, but i have the experience now of why i need to stop for good, ive seen the pain ive been causing, so will use this as motivation to stay a tiny bit happy for this xmas :)

ps- i want a new deck& bearings,
rear brake discs
a nice tasting af drink that isnt full of sugar or artificial sweeteners
a winning lotto ticket etc etc etc

:D :D :D ()o ;) ;)
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

Shelsey
Last Drink Date: 14 Jun 2013

Post by Shelsey »

Saw my first Christmas advert last night, am already planning to spend Christmas with my son, so it is time to join this thread!!

I am definitely planning a sober Christmas - have never really thought I could do it before but I am this year!!! Lots of friends in sobriety who need somewhere to go - slightly iffy on WHERE but think this will be a magical Christmas!!

I am particularly looking forward to not passing out before the Dr Who special and the big movie!!!

Will make sure I am logged into BE so we can all spend the day together!!!!

Love
Shelsey
xxxxxxxx
Aka STB - new name, still as much trouble!
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:
Michael - 11/09/11 - You were a beautiful person and I will miss you so much

CJ

Post by CJ »

Shelsey wrote:

I am particularly looking forward to not passing out before the Dr Who special and the big movie!!!

Me too Shelsey, I was thinking this exact thing only yesterday!
And just imagine........waking up boxing day......no hangover. It's never happened to me before (actually,the Christmas season has always been a series of hangovers and hair of the dogs, followed by serious drinking)
Whenever I have those " surely a drink at Christmas" thoughts, I need to remember the reality and remind myself what I have gained in the last few months.
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

Shelsey

Post by Shelsey »

Cerlam (love that film - huge DD fan!!) I was always a "surely its okay at Christmas" person - now realise that Christmas lasted til about April!!!

Nobody has to be alone - dont worry we will all enjoy sobriety!! I might even hire a village hall for the day!!!!
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:

Shelsey

Post by Shelsey »

http://www.xmasclock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:

KraftyKat
Last Drink Date: 28 Jun 2020

Post by KraftyKat »

I started worrying about Christmas waaaaay back but decided to take my own advice of "never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you" ;)
Seriously though, Zoe and others gave me some very good advice on planning ahead for a recent holiday which I took and which got me through the first AF holiday of my adult life (thanks!!!!)
I'm planning on using that advice to get through Christmas this year.
I like the idea of buying myself something as a celebration/reward. What would others buy?
One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time.
Nancy Astor

Tony
Last Drink Date: 24 Oct 2006

Post by Tony »

notorious wrote: 2010 was ace, though. I had the year firmly in my sights and was starting to love life again; last Christmas was truly fantastic for me. Completely AF, looking good, feeling good, not hung over, in control yaddayaddayadda.....
So........ which one is it? the above or just another drunken affair?

Compliments, style, beauty, sparkling eyes like the twinkling little star and fun are all there for the taking.

I will be AF this Christmas.

tony <:)> <:)>
Keep your shield up at ALL times. Keep your promises, reach your small targets.THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK.

European Duvet Diving Champion Nov 2006.
AF 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014 & 2015. Woohoo, it's possible folks.

marie-claire
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2010

Post by marie-claire »

One thing I've learned this year is that every challenge you get through (and it really doesn't matter how you do that) makes you stronger and more confident for the next. I love that surprising "Wow, I can actually do it!" feeling. It's been huge learning curve doing all those things - meals out, parties, Christmas, holidays etc without alcohol - particularly when it's constantly in your face. But you know what, theyr'e all BETTER without it. Amazing discovery. Last Christmas was like that - uncharted territory for a nervous explorer, but (of course) it was easier than I imagined. Can't wait for my second!

Big supportive hugs to all of you doing this for the first (or any) time. You will be so proud of yourselves. <:)>

MC x
Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls.
The most massive characters are seared with scars.
--Khalil Gibran

CJ

Post by CJ »

Still trying to think of a special christmas treat for myself.

I know it's still a long way off , but these posts are really helping me. I have been having "wicked thoughts" about Christmas. It will be different this year, a bit sad as my dad in law won't be here. I will be surrounded by my family drinking on the day, and, I expect, the days before and after too. I keep thinking it would be completely understandable if I had a drink. Reasonable almost.... urrg! I need to get this out of my mind. I have had a few family parties since stopping drinking and sailed through them, so I can do this, I can. My son would never say a word if I drank at christmas, but he would go quiet, inward and isolate himself, and I would end up feeling awful because I have promised myself not to allow myself to do that to him. Apart from that I don't want to wake up Boxing day feeling like a hungover slug (got that phrase from Cazzm today - love it!)

CJ

Post by CJ »

Still trying to think of a special christmas treat for myself.

I know it's still a long way off , but these posts are really helping me. I have been having "wicked thoughts" about Christmas. It will be different this year, a bit sad as my dad in law won't be here. I will be surrounded by my family drinking on the day, and, I expect, the days before and after too. I keep thinking it would be completely understandable if I had a drink. Reasonable almost.... urrg! I need to get this out of my mind. I have had a few family parties since stopping drinking and sailed through them, so I can do this, I can. My son would never say a word if I drank at christmas, but he would go quiet, inward and isolate himself, and I would end up feeling awful because I have promised myself not to allow myself to do that to him. Apart from that I don't want to wake up Boxing day feeling like a hungover slug (got that phrase from Cazzm today - love it!)

Shelsey

Post by Shelsey »

Didnt get a chance to post here earlier as in a rush - but a quick ho ho ho towards Christmas!!! in fact how about a Christmas Ho(p) Ho(p) Ho(p)?

:D
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:

Yorkie
Last Drink Date: 20 Jun 2011

Post by Yorkie »

Lol....Shelsey, I like it.
How about Ho(pe) Ho(pe) Ho(pe) not like great expectancy, but a healthy desire (for what ever floats yr boat) ;)?
In order to be truly happy in this life I have to give up all hope of a better past.

Shelsey

Post by Shelsey »

My boat is floating towards a sober Christmas! Hurrah! Have done a lot of soul searching recently and realise I have a long way to go until I am properly better - sobriety and fighting depression cannot be taken lightly or in haste. However, I am confident that Christmas will bring good things... except alcohol!!! Hope and Ho!! \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2020

Post by Boris Bike »

A couple of weeks ago I was thinking "well, I'm doing OK now, but Christmas..."

I thought the only way I'd do it is to stay away from family and stay at home alone. But I'm feeling stronger now and think I will go to the family event and should be able to make it through OK. Long ways to go yet, of course.