Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Christmas: Doing it sober and in style

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Re: Christmas: Doing it sober and in style

Post by Lush4life » 19 Dec 2017 11:31

Sandy wrote: Head feels like full of cotton wool Yuk!
That'll be candyfloss masquerading as cotton wool
:lol2:
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 20 Dec 2017 20:19

Sandy wrote: Head feels like full of cotton wool
Hope you are feeling better Sandy. <:)>

Christmas is almost upon us. Have to finish up the photo album for my sweetheart of a Mother and do some baking. Other than that, I feel ready. I am craving the delectable orange duck my hubby fixes every year and the German Chocolate cake and mint chocolate chip cookies I intend to bake tomorrow on my day off, but I am thrilled to report that I am NOT craving alcohol.

My internally rough weekend relented and I am just letting the unnecessary go and looking forward to being with my husband and son.

I hope everyone is in good spirits

snowing.jpg
snowing.jpg (259.85 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

Cookie
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2020

Post by Cookie » 21 Dec 2017 15:19

DoneandDone wrote:Pink, Downloaded the Panther’s Christmas video, your avatar inspired. :lol: Love that character.
I agree this thread is excellent and full of spirit.

Hello Cookie,
I had to comment on the Pino Grigio Pitfall. Even though I advanced to god knows how many units of voddie, even more debilitating to me was white wine. Red I always went a little slower. I was primarily a solo drinker. When with others I sipped or abstained. Absenting myself from social events, letting others go in my stead, many times I would decide sometime after midnight to give myself what i came to call The White Wine Haircut. The next morning I would look in the bathroom sink and see my shorn locks and my head looking like Mary Martin ala Peter Pan. Nothing got me more inebriated than white wine. Not sure why.Have a nice birthday and holiday and hang in. Like Sandy says, give yourself the gift of sobriety. You will love the look.
So sorry for my delayed response, DoneandDone. I've been dealing with a family emergency (not mine, not alcohol related, thankfully) and her condition is finally improving. Your words ring so true for me. Some forms of alcohol go easier with my body chemistry than others. Also, sometimes an amount that at once could knock my socks off, on another occasion does very little. Even if I factor in the amount of food eaten, etc. Weird. I ended up drinking a couple times in the days leading up to my birthday but I was so disgusted with myself, sick and guilt ridden that I stopped cold. The night before my birthday was the end. Nothing since. I celebrated turning 48 S O B E R. Today is a meager Day 4, but these 4 days feels better and stronger and healthier than any I've seen in a very long time. I wish you all the very best for a Happy, Healthy, Sober, Serene Holiday Season! Let's do this. I'm done.
Because we all deserve an optimum, magical life. Right here. Right now. Right on! <:)>

Cookie
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2020

Post by Cookie » 21 Dec 2017 15:23

Has anyone else read this? https://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Big- ... 1626252300
I found it completely compelling and it made so much sense to me. I could actually feel a shift in my thought process in terms of drinking. Amazing!
Because we all deserve an optimum, magical life. Right here. Right now. Right on! <:)>

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 22 Dec 2017 11:06

Hope to catch up with that later Cookie
Shopping for me now- loaded witht he cold so stuffed full of Beechams cold and flu remedy so I rckon I have 4 hours max shopping time in me before I completely wilt and need to lie down in a dark room...........

Actually taken aback that it is only 3 more sleeps!!!.....don't ask why ......

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 23 Dec 2017 09:57

Pork wrote:Been a bit naughty & ordered myself a Christmas pressie.
So you,should, you're doing soo well...a sober treat should be on prescription IMO \:)/ (::)
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 23 Dec 2017 12:42

Pork wrote:Been a bit naughty & ordered myself a Christmas pressie.

I agree with Lushie :) You are deserving :D
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim » 23 Dec 2017 21:31

What did you get, Pork, or are you keeping it as a surprise for Santa to bring on Christmas Day?

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 25 Dec 2017 13:40

Merry Christmas Miss Pink and everyone <:)>

I am at work, but only scheduled for 8 hours today, then the evening with my family. It was an incredible weekend with my family too. We enjoyed every moment.

Pink, it sounds like a beautiful way to begin your Christmas Day. :D

I wish everyone a beautiful, peaceful day <:)>
C.S. Lewis

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 25 Dec 2017 16:33

Had a early dinner in a nice country pub with my Mum. Absolutely stuffed. No drinking thoughts today. We've swapped presents and now watching opera. All fine.
All this used to be drowned out in alcohol - my Mum was a trigger and Christmas meant permission to drink.
Seems weird now - sure there are sensitivities and difficulties but I'm much better at dealing with them sober! And my old way of dealing with them sure blotted them out, much as gnawing your own foot off will certainly blot out a mosquito bite...

Anyway, see you at 6, Rawson's Retreat af fizz in hand
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 25 Dec 2017 17:59

Here's to everyone <:)>
C.S. Lewis

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 » 25 Dec 2017 18:00

Here's a Tango toast to all you lovely BE people, blessings of the season! Suex \:)/
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 25 Dec 2017 18:01

Sante
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 27 Dec 2017 10:46

Well a very belated Merry Christmas from me!
I have had such a house full of people this past 2 days, but it was lovely!
Lots of children around who were so excited for Santa. Adults got a bit drunk late at night but really nothing over the top which was sooo good. Just a lovely family day that spilled right in to boxing day. Everyone gone now and house very quiet!!
I can safely say I done Christmas 2017 Sober and in Style! Congrats to everyone else who done it the same way!

Pork and Pink I think it is very important to treat yourself on this journey. I drank at least a bottle of wine dail,y often two and then aimed for a third.....add up the cash over the years!....I like to buy myself sobriety presents!

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 27 Dec 2017 12:34

Well I had my forth fun sober Christmas and I must admit once you get the first one out of the way it just becomes a matter of course, OH who rarely drinks had about two or three glasses of that 43 liquor drink mixed with lemonade she got as a birthday present last March and it was fun to see her face turn red and her eyes glaze up, her mum and I got tore into a six pack of Heineken 0,0 which is by far the best AF beer I've tasted to date.

I agree with Sandy and the treating lark, not only was I spending a small fortune on drink all those years but I made some pretty costly mistakes (cock-ups really) which can only be blamed on the drinking me, so I treat myself quite often with no guilt and it's quite nice to finally own things instead of just renting, I mean you don't buy drink you rent it for a short while, then have to go to the toilet to give it back.

Even if I relapsed tomorrow I'd probably stop again for Christmas, I don't want to sound like a right miserable twat but it makes the festive season just that bit more tolerable when you're sober :?
Social distancing since 1966

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 27 Dec 2017 13:23

Agree with that Newtie. With all the stresses involved, before during and after, its best to stay sober (or at least relatively so) Not to good for me this year. Christmas Eve was worse. But Christmas Day and yesterday drinking drastically reduced. Have been given some booze for Christmas but that's hidden away until I can find a grateful recipient ()o

Anyone in the market for chocs and biscuits? I won't put wine on this market :lol2:

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 05 Jan 2018 15:11

Hey since the Twleve Days of Christmas are not officially over until tomorrow, I decided to pay a visit to this nice place.
It helped me get through the holiday in style.

Where I am we are having what forecasters are calling a ‘Bomb Cyclone’. (w)
Still the days are getting longer and cold as it is the birdies make the best of it and sing anyway.
What good examples they are.
A015704D-F203-4631-84F7-D111848857C4.jpeg
A015704D-F203-4631-84F7-D111848857C4.jpeg (16.04 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
Cllick here to play

Anne Murray, Snowbird
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9bHd58-LA
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 05 Jan 2018 16:20

My goodness that's an oldie D&D
will be singing it all evening now

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 06 Jan 2018 12:47

Hello Sandy Red Shoes, Nice you enjoyed the blast from the past. Anne Murray had no need for Auto-Tune.

Was thinking this morning of the closing of the Christmas season and the stories around it. Today’s about the three Magi arriving from afar with precious gifts, meeting with a tyrannical government leader, who when he heard of the child committed the atrocity of infanticide. The travelers helping the family avoid capture. The father being alerted to flee and the family becoming refugees in Egypt. The scene was painted many times by the great masters.

Instead of nursing a hangover spending time with the things I enjoyed studying at school.
D59D71BD-8976-4E10-9342-D56DCAED5F61.jpeg
D59D71BD-8976-4E10-9342-D56DCAED5F61.jpeg (252.29 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
Adoration of the Magi, Andrea Mantegna, (c.1500)
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 29 Nov 2018 08:06

This thread is now open for the Christmas Season.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.