Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Nine Month Challenge

you're worth it
Last Drink Date: 01 Nov 2011

Re: The Nine Month Challenge

Post by you're worth it » 10 May 2012 20:56

(::) (::) BORIS - YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!!!! Very well done indeed. (::) (::)

Love watching your progress across the boards and all the help you give to others. <:)>

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2011

Post by Boris Bike » 10 May 2012 22:03

Thank you guys. :D

Had a bit of a tricky evening. Just feeling unsettled. But my telly programmes I normally watch are just about to start, so that will probably help. ;)?

MissCheese
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2011

Post by MissCheese » 11 May 2012 22:17

Evening All,

Had such a bad couple of days and have to admit to really wanting to just crack open an ice cold beer this afternoon.

I didn't have a great first meeting with one of my new neighbours today so all around feeling very vulnerable and down. Sad thing is I know I will forever feel uncomfortable around her now even if she is just simply socially awkward and not rude.

Anyway, the big move is planned for tomorrow and I guess I should be in bed by now but don't think I'll get to sleep just yet.

I won't have any internet in my new house until Thursday next week but even though I had planned to have all of next week of to get settled I'm going into the office on Monday, didn't get everything I needed to do done :roll:

Hope you all have a good weekend and I'll 'see' you all shortly.
MissCheese

you're worth it

Post by you're worth it » 11 May 2012 23:06

Hi, Miss Cheese. Moving is a very stressful time and you are bound to feel a bit jumpy at the moment. There would be something wrong if you didn't. Just keep rolling with it, like you have been so far.

Things will settle down and you will soon feel at home. Don't worry about the neighbour. That is only one meeting. She could have had things on her mind, or anything. There will be plenty of time to sort things out when you are settled.

I imagine you won't be posting again until you are "connected" (?) Take care; keep those shields up and have a peaceful night. "speak soon" :D :D

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 12 May 2012 12:33

I agree with YWI, Miss Cheese.

We all know the old saying about first impressions but I'm sure we can all point to examples where a first meeting was off in some way and turned out to be, well, a one-off.

I'm sure you will be polite if you meet again and chat if the occasion arises; that's all you can ask of yourself. I think sometimes these things can be a self-fulfilling prophecy; we get too bound up in thoughts about a situation and then maybe become a bit guarded and awkward and that makes for another awkward situation! Try to relax about it and just let things flow.

mags

Post by mags » 12 May 2012 12:45

CONGRATULATIONS on 9 months Boris. Been reading your posts for a long while now and your advice is often exactly what I need to read - even if it's not meant for me. I found your suggestions about completely concentrating on what you're doing at the moment especially helpful in the first few weeks. Good luck on the Year thread. With your attitude and insight, I'm sure you'll do greatxxx

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 12 May 2012 19:42

Thanks Mags <:)>

Writing down the useful things I've picked up over the years for others also helps reinforce them in my own mind and helps me too. :)

Not having a brilliant day today. Not struggling with drink thoughts, just struggling to enjoy my free time. Just drifting aimlessly about the internet. I have films and comedy to catch up on but I just can't seem to settle on any of them as being the thing to hit the spot. A film actually seems like an effort! That's silly isn't it? :?

Ah well. Get some perspective, Boris! It's not like something bad has happened. Just feeling a bit tired and frustrated.

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 12 May 2012 22:13

Ah, Happy Mother's Day to our down under folk. <:)>

Update: I plumped for listening to my YouTube music playlist and very much enjoyed the last two or three hours doing that, so I managed to rescue Saturday. :D

girlfromaus
Last Drink Date: 10 Oct 2014

Post by girlfromaus » 13 May 2012 00:31

Aww thanks boys. What beautiful flowers Rags. I'm lying in bed enjoying a coffee that my husband brought me because my little monster is too lazy to get up!
While I breathe I hope

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 13 May 2012 06:18

Boris Bike wrote:Thanks Mags <:)>

Not having a brilliant day today. Not struggling with drink thoughts, just struggling to enjoy my free time. Just drifting aimlessly about the internet. I have films and comedy to catch up on but I just can't seem to settle on any of them as being the thing to hit the spot. A film actually seems like an effort! That's silly isn't it? :? .
Not silly at all Boris: it's what "normal" people do quite often apparently. I sometimes find myself wandering about and sighing just looking aimlessly for I know not what? Children do it on a regular basis. They're bored, but suggest something that they could occupy themselves with, and they don't want to know!

Music usually does it for me too. Enjoy ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

girlfromaus

Post by girlfromaus » 14 May 2012 00:21

Hi TC, Rags, MC, YWI and Boris if you're still around & any other visitors.

Less than 3 weeks till exams and I'm flying up to QLD to teach this weekend so if I don't get in much help yourselves to these as and when <:)> <:)> <:)>
While I breathe I hope

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 14 May 2012 13:01

Yes, wish you very well with your exams, GFA. :)

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 15 May 2012 07:46

\:)/ \:)/ WELL DONE AND CONGRATULATIONS WINKER 9 MONTHS (::) (::)
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

you're worth it

Post by you're worth it » 15 May 2012 10:33

Winker - Well done, indeed. What a great achievement!
\:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/

I know just what you mean about life coming back to hit you. I have no inclination to drink now but, for instance, today I am feeling a bit down. I would normally have buried that in drink - so need to find other ways to feel OK. Sometimes I think it is just a matter of sitting it out.

I have also had people from my past "drunken life" come back bit by bit and I have had to apologise to them for past behaviours. It has been a very healing experience.

Take care, and long may your sobriety continue. <:)>

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 15 May 2012 11:29

\:)/ \:)/ \:)/ Nine Months Winker! \:)/ \:)/ \:)/
nine.jpg
nine.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 318 times

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ » 15 May 2012 11:50

Hey Winker,
Congratulations on reaching the nine months milestone. I often read your posts and find myself nodding away furiously at what you have to say. I too have found many emotions and changes in my life that were unexpected, some pleasant, some challenging (to say the least) since stopping drinking. To quote Ragnar, getting sober involves so much more than just simply not drinking.
One thing for sure, we are never alone on this site. Why not join the " gang " on the year thread? A bit mad there today mind, we are all trying to chase away the doldrums with a bit of hilarity.
Anyway well done, a wonderful achievement, be proud of yourself!
Cj
xx
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

Pineapple
Last Drink Date: 04 Aug 2013

Post by Pineapple » 15 May 2012 12:04

CONGRATULATION WINKER ON 9 MONTHS, FABULOUS ACHIEVEMENT (::) (::) \:)/ \:)/ (::) (::)

You will be made more than welcome on the one year thread <:)>

P x
If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain.
-- Dolly Parton

girlfromaus

Post by girlfromaus » 15 May 2012 22:33

Sad to see you come and go but proud of where you're heading <:)>
While I breathe I hope

MissCheese

Post by MissCheese » 17 May 2012 19:41

Boris Bike wrote: Not having a brilliant day today. Not struggling with drink thoughts, just struggling to enjoy my free time. Just drifting aimlessly about the internet. I have films and comedy to catch up on but I just can't seem to settle on any of them as being the thing to hit the spot. A film actually seems like an effort! That's silly isn't it? :?
An older post I know but I'm just back online after my move. I have to agree with you Boris, I really struggle to watch a film these days. I just don't think I can concentrate enough to pick up the plot with new films. Older favourites I am fine with. Can't remember the last time I watched a new film that I really enjoyed.
MissCheese

MissCheese

Post by MissCheese » 17 May 2012 19:50

Huge congratulations Winker on 9 months sober! I cannot wait to get to nine months, everyone who reaches these milestones is an inspiration to me <:)> <:)>

Evening All,

My move went really well and I'm almost finished unpacking, cleaning and sorting. The whole house needs decorating and cleaning and the old owners really didn't do much to look after the place. For example there is mould growing in the kitchen because they never had the fire in the living room going (even in winter :o ) and always had the door closed. I'm just glad it's been cold this week so the fire has been roaring!! It's a nice and very very toasty 23 degrees celsius in the living room tonight WITH all the internal doors open. I guess the old owners didn't know how to keep an old stone house.

All the skirting boards, door surrounds, in fact pretty much all woodwork, in the house has been painted various dark shades of gloss paint which makes some rooms look dark. really just not to my taste at all. I'll be working on sanding and repainting for some months to come.

All in all I'm very happy despite my earlier trepidation. I can see what the house will be like once I've finished and I think it is going to be a lovely home.

My subsequent meetings with the neighbours have gone well. I did just stay relaxed and it is obvious that she was just very worried about her cat.

Hope the exams go/have gone well GFA <:)>
MissCheese