Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Nine Month Challenge

cazzzm
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2015

Re: The Nine Month Challenge

Post by cazzzm » 17 Feb 2013 21:54

Hi nine monthers, Giving, Rachel,Proudmum, Dizzy and Pickles sorry if I missed anyone, come and say hi.
I had a lovely half day at the beach yesterday. I'm not really a beach person but I really enjoyed myself. I even swam out of my depth but not for long, I'm not that good at swimming. We tagged along with daughter, son in law and little grandson. It was a joy seeing him having such a great time, that's what life is all about. 2 years ago I would never have contemplated going out on a Sunday or if I did I would have totally miserable because I felt so blah.

Pickles and Rachel, I used to rollerskate as a young teenager. The rink was the local hang out, I have some fond memories of those times. Holding hands skating with my current heart throb. Ahhh....young love. So sweet.

How do you get away with not ironing? I iron for at least 1-2 hours a week and I don't iron sheets or anything stupid like that, not even t-shirts.

Proudmum, hope you are feeling better. I felt quite ill after my recent keyhole surgery last year, I found I had pain in my ribs and my neck which was apparently caused by the gas. Nasty stuff.

Take care all <:)>
Cazz

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 17 Feb 2013 22:29

I wear a lot of jersey tops, Cazzzm, and I suppose I am a little on the wrinkled side!

edited: wrote where instead of wear!
Last edited by Rachel on 18 Feb 2013 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

Catarina
Last Drink Date: 05 Feb 2017

Post by Catarina » 17 Feb 2013 22:56

Hi! Going to bed and wanted to send you all a hug and a "well done,girls"! You are admirable and reading your posts is really good to my soul. Love to all. Get well soon, ProudMum. x

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 18 Feb 2013 08:10

Thank you Catarina!
Rachel

ProudMum
Last Drink Date: 26 Jul 2012

Post by ProudMum » 18 Feb 2013 21:59

Thanks Catarina <:)>

And thanks everyone for the well-wishes! I am feeling a LOT better today, no painkillers yet & it's almost 11am. The gas pains are pretty much gone, which is great. I got my dressing changed today & the nurse said I shouldn't be able to even see the scar as it's in the folds of my belly button. So my aspirations to become a bikini model (slightly overweight at the ripe old age of 37) can remain intact \:)/

Cazz, reclaim that hour or 2 a week! Hide your iron ;)? I haven't ironed anything since late October 2011 :lol: And the time before that would've been several years prior. I just hang things up quickly & they seem to not get too wrinkled. Although like Rachel mentioned, sometimes I'm slightly 'wrinklier' than others. But I don't let it bother me :D

It sounds like everyone had a very domestic weekend (except for me who was lazily slobbing in bed in pjs all day long, surfing the net & doing cross stitch - oh ok I guess that's kind of domestic). Rachel you sound like you were very industrious & busy. When is hubby's interview?

Jen those milkshakes sound yum! I'm on my 8th chocolate-free day today, thought I'd take advantage of the head start I got last week to get over the worst of the cravings ()o And OMG I do the most ridiculous things with my girls, daggy dancing is the least of my worries. Thank goodness most of the times our neighbours would need a telescope to see our place, and I figure if they're that desperate I might as well put on a decent show for them (::)

<:)> to everyone, have a great day!

dizzienomore
Last Drink Date: 22 Nov 2014

Post by dizzienomore » 19 Feb 2013 19:02

Hey proudmum it was actually the back half of the rat tail and all :o so maybe it was the other half of your rat back to the future (it was about 4 years ago). You are very brave, the photo of your op site looks um...... I had a scan re my gall stones and the consultant said i had lots but as the pain had gone i could leave it. I'm cowardly so i did. Actually, i think drinking made it worse, since i have stopped drinking i would say generally my health has improved. I also suffered from (gastro osoephagal reflux syndrome apologies to any medical people for the bad spelling) which was definitely brought on by drinking wine and then being sick and taking painkillers (again apologies for the unpleasantness of it all but it does, as i write remind me of how horrible it was).

Being Alcohol Free has given me soo soo much more energy. sounds like you have masses of energy Rachel.

It has been a glorious couple of days, spring is so much in the air and i have been out digging, clearing flower borders and washing seed trays and walking dogs in fields. Only this afternoon was a bit glum spending 2 hours taking Wren to the vet, he has been put on heart meds as he had trouble breathing and the vet is going to do a scan and x ray. He is so much better now the heart drugs are working though. I feared they would advise me to put him to sleep but they seem happy with his progress. ;)?
This too shall pass

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Feb 2013 09:33

Oh Dizzie, I wish I was energetic. Ironically I have quite chronic tiredness. It's got better since I started taking iron tablets, but I am usually ready for a nap at 1pm! Needless to say, probably a concidence. I am old enough (45) for people/doctors to start attributing ebverything to perimenopause :o (and :evil: !)

Proudmum I hope you are/have been feeling better today.

Well it's a bit cold, darkish, damp and miserable today, some of which matches my mood, but I did notice that the light was really good this morning. Or maybe it's my eyes! But everything seemed very clear, so I took a few photos en route to the station... and nearly missed the train! Ha!

My anxiety has returned big time, and I am waking up in a panic at 3am (on the dot) each night. I don't know what to do about it. Nothing I supplose.

Jen, mu husband had is interview on Monday. He was happy with how it went. Will just have to wait and see. Today he is having an interview with a private college to see if he can do/give some part time maths tuition. Should be interesting!
I hope everyone else is ok! Cazzzm, Pickles... and anyone else dropping in!
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Feb 2013 17:50

Thanks very much, Pickles! I do flit in and out of that thread from time to time.

My ADs are supposed to sort it out, but it's not unbearable... just a bit depressing!
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 Feb 2013 10:15

Hmm, Jen. I am not sure about life being less exciting, but I am probably less excited!

The following is a bit self-indulgent so please skip if you want to!

[Life should be getting more exciting again. After a long long time, I have started doing things that I used to do a lot - go to gigs, the theatre, go on holiday etc. and even write a tiny bit. I plan things and sometimes I carry out the plans, and sometimes I don't. I do feel I can't throw myself into things and thoroughly enjoy them. Perhaps I never did. I don't know. But I feel something is holding me back. I have sort of come to the conclusion that it's because I can't ever relax. I often catch myself, while going to sleep, with a clenched jaw and gritted teeth, and I am probably going through life both literally and metaphorically like that.
My AA 'colleagues' would probably say I am 'white knuckling' things and I should 'work the programme' and 'do the steps', but I am sceptical!

Sorry, I am still on a bit of a downer!]

Anyway.

My mother had an endoscopy yesterday. There were some 'patches' in her stomach that they took samples of. Rather worrying, although they must have told her that it's probably just an infection. Will just have to wait and see. Hmmph.

How are you Proudmum? Has your daughter done her show and tell gallstones thing yet?!

How are you Dizzie? Pickles? Cazzzm? <:)> :D
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 Feb 2013 13:34

Ha! I have just signed up for a creative writing course! It was asll that talk about planning! Let's hope this doesn't fall by the wayside as the fencing lessons that never happened did!
Rachel

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 21 Feb 2013 22:10

REMF good idea for the writing course. I do know what you mean about things fallling by the wayside! I signed up for French, Spanish and Italian courses at the same time a few years ago!! Nightmare, I was so confused and in the end I dropped out of all of them. I bought all the books and tapes too, bit of a waste really. Recently I started trying to learn Estonian as my son's girlfriend is Estonian, it probably lasted 2 weeks and now my enthusiasm has disappeared.

'White knuckling' yes I have heard that too. I'm afraid I am going through another phase of not being AA at all. I stopped having a sponsor, she said she would only sponsor me if I did the things she 'suggested' and being a natural rebel I said no. I am happier without all the pressures. There are some very useful things which I have learned from AA but prefer listening to people on Bright Eye to be honest.

I think life can be very hard. There are good days and not so good, great days and then just plain awful. It could be it gets easier as we grow older. I am 58 and am a much more contented and relaxed person than when I was 38 or 48. I think my only ambition then was to be in love! :oops: Now I am single and its not a big deal any more! I enjoy my children's company now they are grown up. Being free of alcohol I have a good chance of living a decent life, whatever it throws my way. I have very simple ambitions: Get out of debt!!! Budget my money better. Look after my garden, dogs and chickens.

Hey GIAG nearly 8 months FANTASTICO that is brilliant. In answer to your question I haven't planted seeds yet but have washed trays ready! I was offered a cleaning job today, its full time so will have much less time for the garden. The man is going to get back to me tomorrow about it. I am a bit anxious about it. It means a lot of travelling but is reasonably paid.

Love to all of you <:)>
This too shall pass

cazzzm
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2015

Post by cazzzm » 22 Feb 2013 01:31

Hi nine monthers,
A quick cheerio from me, won't be around for a little while, I'm going on a holiday interstate. Looking forward to getting out there with nature, I'm sure I will have a lovely time.
Sorry to hear things are a bit sad with some of you, for myself personally, giving up drinking was the best thing I ever did, next to giving up smoking. I have never felt better and more content in my life. I find I can do so much more and attempt so much more without the pull of addiction looming over me.
I hope things improve, maybe when your nicer weather comes you might all feel a bit more motivated.
<:)> to all, Cazz

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 22 Feb 2013 08:24

Loving the posts this morning. Full of positivity. Sorry I was such a misery moo yesterday. I did get ridiculously excited about the writing course. I will get apprehensive nearer the time, but I think it could be really good for me. Writing is something I really do genuinely enjoy, whereas quite a lot of things I aspire to do, such as gardening, are things i think I ought to enjoy, but if I am honest I don't really. I do like the results though.

My female cat, Lily is currently cavorting around like a kitten, pouncing on static things, and running around the house.

Ooh! Time to go to work. Sorry for not responding to people properly.
will do later

Have a great holiday Cazzm.
Rachel xx
Rachel

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 23 Feb 2013 17:42

Hi all. Happy Saturday, hope your weekend is going well. I had to come and post today as i was having a 'wobbly' moment in the kitchen. I keep getting angry. I keep dropping things and breaking things. (not on purpose) I have had a headache all day, the man never got back to me about the job and I was talking to my daughter and when I got off the phone I felt really down and wished she was here and guess what.........I had one of those thoughts like '**** it I don't care any more, bottle of wine...........and then my next thought was. Go and read some posts on the BE forum.

So glad you are here thats all i can say. <:)> Feel better now. Wobble over. Picked up bits of smashed casserole dish and carrot peelings!! Didn't want the job anyway!!! (not quite true ;) ) I will see my daughter before too long and a bottle of wine would not help............not a bit. Away with you evil alcohol thing!!!

And yes GIAG race you to the seedlings. Spring just around the corner.

Love to all of you <:)>
This too shall pass

ProudMum

Post by ProudMum » 24 Feb 2013 08:44

Every time I start doing a reply I get interrupted, have been making attempts for 3 days now :oops:

Dizzie you did well not giving in to your wobble, well done! (::)

Jen I am very envious of all the places you get to go, London is one of my dream holiday spots, I spent 5 days there about 6 years ago, not anywhere near long enough! Spent all my time rushing round, crossing places off my list, but hardly getting a chance to catch a breath. I really enjoyed it though. I was solo and felt really safe there, compared to Paris (maybe just a language thing?).

Rachel, when do you hear back about your mum? Hopefully it's nothing bad, I got a gastroscopy before having my gallbladder out (as I have a few issues) & I had 3 things 'wrong' on the report, but really it just meant I have to go back 6-monthly from now on for monitoring.

Pickles, I'm NOT looking forward to my head-to-heads with my 2 girls that I KNOW are coming in the future. We are all just so bloody feisty and have a hard time backing down, we are going to have some humdingers. :shock:

I love hearing about everyone's interests etc. I bought a guitar this week! And a dvd/book course. Fingers crossed I stick with it. I had to call my dad to help me tune it. Then my OH reminded me I can just download an app - much easier! ;)?

Right, off to have my last supper, sinus surgery in the morning so nil by mouth again. You'd think I'd be losing oodles of weight, but only lost a kilo, even with 3 fasting days the week before last & 11 chocolate-free days :roll:

<:)> to you all! :D
Attachments
Sad Belly Button.jpg
I know you're all dying for an updated belly button picture ;) I had the dressings taken off it on Friday, it looks a bit sad. Actually the bruising got really dark today, for some reason. Here's a photo from Friday.
Sad Belly Button.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 1669 times

ProudMum

Post by ProudMum » 24 Feb 2013 08:48

Check out my square cat :D
Attachments
Washing Basket Cat.jpg
Oh and just for smiles here is a pic of my cat who squished himself into my washing basket :) He weighs 13lbs so he is huge! He is always trying to squeeze himself where his (much smaller) sister goes...
Washing Basket Cat.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 1667 times

koalaBear
Last Drink Date: 07 Jul 2012

Post by koalaBear » 24 Feb 2013 09:44

Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd quickly check in as not posted for a while. Still here, still sober. Sat in a pub all of fri night without even the slightest inkling for a drink. Safe to say a corner has definitely been turned :D

Proud, your square cat is super cute! I have Maine Coons and they get into all kinds of weird positions, proper yoga stuff!

Been busy looking at houses as hoping to move soon. Really getting into interior design blogs. What do you all think of velvet sofa's - right or wrong? I love em but can't decide if they are too ostentatious :?

Hugs to everyone <:)>
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space

Johnny Cash.

Day
Last Drink Date: 19 Aug 2012

Post by Day » 24 Feb 2013 14:43

Hello all, think this is the right place for me...it was the 6 mth milestone earlier in the week.

Its great to see so many familiar names here. Wow oh wow. And to see some people new to me. Proudmum that looks like one very sore (yet elegantly shaped!) tum you have there. Ouch. Get better soon.

Alcohol seems to be a forgotten about addiction for now. I have however gained about 20lb since I stopped. Now thats not supposed to happen! I think I drank rather than ate, and was not a skinny thing before. I have been "kind" to myself over any little treat ive wanted on top of my ample diet. And am now cross with myself for addiction hopping. Food, and the other addiction still of course of obsessing some of the time about my ex and his new woman, who I ended the marriage over. Tall and slender of course, bah n pah. Face like a horse of course, she miaows.

Like remf, I am building so many good new things into my life and I love them, yet I keep falling into a hole or feeling disconnected and anxious. My family have similar issues, I can see that for myself this has always been there and the booze was no doubt a way of self medicating. I keep thinking it will resolve. And perhaps it is. Certainly I am not spinning up and down as fast as I was in the early days and certainly my memory is better. As have mentiond previously, the whole of this year for me is going to be about clearing out, tidying up my manor literally and figuratively and keeping on. Good luck to us all eh?
Keeping on keeping off

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 25 Feb 2013 20:37

Hey GIAG well done on planting those lovely sweet peas. Very old variety too if found in Tutankhamen tomb! What an amazing idea planting them in toilet roll tubes, I might try that with peas. We really need some sun now. I was going to do some gardening today but have had a migraine and been really tired. Will get out tomorrow hopefully and maybe plant a few seeds in trays on the windowsill.

Day hi, glad you doing ok and not bothered about alcohol anymore. I still have cravings, I was weirdly having strong taste of merlot today which could be a sort of aura type sensory thing connected to having a migraine. Bit disturbing, the taste was very strong, just glad it wasn't the real thing. I too have put on a lot of weight since giving up alcohol. Have given up chocolate for Lent but still have a mug of cocoa in the evening to satisfy the craving.

Hi Koala Bear velvet sofas sound amazing, no good for me though they would be smothered in dog hair.

Proudmum your cat looks really funny. Sorry you have more surgery to go through, poor you. As for the job, I was in 2 minds whether to take it anyway as it is a huge amount of travelling and not a job I really wanted to be honest so I was relieved in the end.

Pickles you sounded like you had a difficult day. I know what hard work children can be, I brought up 4 children as a single parent 3 of which are girls and i think they are harder. There were some real issues and problems believe me!! but now i can honestly say they are lovely adults and we are great friends and they are very supportive of their old mum! So keep doing what you feel is right and loving and she will respect you for it eventually. I will get off me soap box now!! :oops:

Have a good week all <:)>
This too shall pass

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 26 Feb 2013 19:43

Thanks Pickles and Givingitago today my head is much better. As far as the job situation goes, I believe this is the year I get a job. I don't want to be unemployed until I reach retiring age which isn't for a long time! Will keep looking. Have applied for a free online course learning about customer service!! Not heard back yet. Glad you got the job you are in now GIAG.

Another grey and dreary day today. My niece is coming on Saturday to visit. My brother has 8 children and a few grandchildren. My twin nieces look like me which is really weird seeing someone who looks like yourself, none of my children look as much like me as these nieces!

Not much to report really. Very quiet on this thread! Love to all and get well Proudmum <:)>
This too shall pass