Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Nine Month Challenge

ProudMum
Last Drink Date: 26 Jul 2012

Re: The Nine Month Challenge

Post by ProudMum » 07 Mar 2013 02:57

Rachel, I'm so glad all your mum's tests came back ok ;)? You'll have to fill us all in on Barcelona when you get back! It's on my wish list but it'll probably be another 10 years before I get to go. Sigh. One day \:)/

Jen I mentioned my fears to my OH & he said he'd have a word to his cousin. I asked him not to because she has such a big mouth. I should be fine. I really did loathe myself on my drinking holidays and I'm sure I won't forget it.

Pickles I hope your daughter is improving, and it doesn't spread through the rest of the house <:)>\

Dizzie, I didn't know you'd done such a long stretch sober before. Well done! It must give you a lot of confidence this time? The pebbles I put in were of the candy coated chocolate variety, lol. So no broken teeth, just beautiful melted chocolate bits (with a crunchy shell) when the cupcakes are warm :D
Attachments
Pebbles.jpg
Pebbles.jpg (2.51 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

koalaBear
Last Drink Date: 07 Jul 2012

Post by koalaBear » 07 Mar 2013 18:35

dizzienomore wrote:Koala lets put our past behind us and move on into a happier future!! We deserve it!!!! Ps i'm from Yorkshire originally too. Scarborough, do you know it?
I’m up for that Dizzi ;)? Lets be grateful we came to our senses eh.

I wouldn’t say I ‘know’ Scarborough but I have been a couple of times and like it a lot. Last time was last summer and we spent the morning in Scarborough and the afternoon in Robin Hoods Bay. Just lovely. I’m not from Yorkshire originally so there are still lots of parts I’d like to get out and discover. Never been to Bridlington….

Hugs to everyone xxx
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space

Johnny Cash.

Jaxom
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by Jaxom » 07 Mar 2013 20:28

Robin Hoods Bay! One my favourite places, though not for the unfit! So quaint and, well, sorry to say this on BE but some very nice pubs and friendly local folk. I'm sure they do coffee. We honeymooned in the area, based at Whitby, and there are two memories that stand out ( at least, those I am willing to share ;) ) - a lovely bistro in RHB and the most amazing ice-cream cones bought from a kiosk in Scarborough (in Peasholm Park). Hot, home-made cones wodged with really creamy ice-cream and dribbled all over with honey and nuts. Sums up me marriage really. She plays the part of honey and I am ... :roll:
An Inuit story. An old man is talking to his grandson: 'Inside me are two dogs fighting: a black one and a white one.` `Which one will win?' asks the boy. 'The one I feed'

dizzienomore
Last Drink Date: 22 Nov 2014

Post by dizzienomore » 07 Mar 2013 21:02

Peasholm Park! Jaxom, Wow my mum lives very near there in fact. Did you ever go down the sea front and have ice cream from either Jaconelli or rival Pacito the best Italian ice cream ever!
My brother was a bad lad when he was a kid and nicked a lot of firework stuff from the mini naval warfare models on the islands in Peasholm park (not sure they still there showing my age here) he and a friend mixed them all together and made a huge firework which nearly blinded him he ended in in Casualty and looked like a cartoon with all his eyebrows and lashes gone, not funny really but he was ok so we did laugh about it!!

Koala - Bridlington is worth a visit and York is beautiful. the North Yorks moors is beautiful and there is a steam railway, lots to visit in North Yorkshire.

Robin Hoods Bay my Dad took us there a lot and we had Sunday school outings every year at Filey. One of the best places is I think called Humumby Gap. Well I originally lived in a village outside Scarborough on the way to Pickering. AAh those were the days! We had a donkey from Scarborough beach and it woke everyone up at 6 am braying and broke out of the field and rampaged through the neighbours cabbage patch :oops:

Proudmum those pebbles look yummy not seen them in UK and GIAG im glad the gardening post helped but today its been yukky, drizzly rain and i been in all day doing my Customer Services course. Where did Spring go? :(
REMF so glad you know Scarborough too, we have something in common then, all my childhood memories were either Scarborough (and all the other lovely seaside around it) and the village outside where we lived. This is making me so nostalgic. Can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks and have some fish n chips!
This too shall pass

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 08 Mar 2013 07:59

Our Scarborough food treat was waffles with thick cream and jam bought up near the fun fair.
My father became very ill when I was about 9, and never really recovered, and the last holiday we had before he was ill was in Scarborough. I wish I had photos. My parents didn't bother much with taking them!! (I tink I am sinking into nostalgia mode at the moment, following the visit to my mother!)

I had a day of torture yesterday. I have develped an ulcer on the edge of my tongue, and it is excruciating. Yesterday I couldn't talk or eat or drink anything other than sips of water. Seems a little better today, as I am sipping coffee, but it's throbbing nicely now. It makes me realize how much comfort I get from consuming things! I have no doubt that if I was drinking, I would have managed to sip some wine somehow!
Rachel

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 08 Mar 2013 19:52

Hi Pickles, I agree its good for children to get fresh air when they are ill. I think mine used to like staying in bed though and watching TV :oops: The weather was horrible here today grey and damp. I stayed in and did my Customer Services course which was a bit boring and i was feeling low. I did some of it then watched iplayer. It feels wrong watching things in the day time and reminds me of drinking :?. I applied for a local voluntary job and am going to see about it next week. What are you revising for?

Rachel I don't think I ever had waffles in Scarborough. Sorry your father got ill when you were so young. Mine had a stroke when I was 15. It left him paralysed down one side. I hate those mouth ulcers my youngest daughter used to call them 'popped taste buds'. Watch out for adult bonjela it does actually contain alcohol. I know it is only a minute amount but I wouldn't use it now, or some mouthwashes.

Have a good weekend all <:)>
This too shall pass

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 08 Mar 2013 20:08

Thanks Dizzie and Pickles

My tongue actually seems a lot better since I started using something called Igloo. I don't worry toooo much about things with tiny amounts of alcohol in them, as long as I don't start craving more for them.
At Christmas someone accidentally brought mince pies with brandy in them to my AA meeting! It caused a bit of a ruckus... (no, it wasn't me!)

I am sure the waffles weren't anything special in Scarborough i.e. to locals. Just something we'd never seen anywhere else in the gourmet-free days of vesta curry 70s. Not that waffles are gourmet. They probably fried them in pig fat in those days too...! But my sister and I loved them.
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 10 Mar 2013 10:58

Hello

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I enjoyed the Brighton meet. I was thinking on the way there, that in drinking days, tat I wouldn't have gone, because a) well I probably wouldn't have been on Brighteye and b) Id' have preferred to have stayed at home and drunk wine in the afternoo c) I wouldn't have been confident enough to go, and finally, if I had gone, I would have had to have had a drink (or several) first!
It was potentially right out of my comfort zone. I have hardly done any socializing at all for over three years, and certainly not with people I don't really know. But apart from being nervous, I really surprised myself.
Sorry - egocentric ramblings there, but it was a really good afternoon.

I had my last Campral tablet yesterday. Slightly naughtily without my doctor's consent, but it is not an addictive thing, so not withdrawal. I should explain that it's medication that is supposed to help with cravings by helping your brain to readjust and return to a more normal drugless/unaddicted state. I am pretty sure that I am not going to be suddenly overwhelmed by outrageous cravings now, but a tiny bit of me is slightly anxious. I have been on it for 9 months though, and I think 6 months is a standard period of time to be on it. Sooo here I go...
Rachel

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 11 Mar 2013 19:24

Hi all.

Rachel I think you are extremely brave to go to the Brighton meet and I bet it was amazing meeting up with folks on Bright Eye. I would be very nervous about it indeed being a big loner and a scaredy cat about showing my face, its so easy being anonymouse on BE. But maybe one day! My son was at Sussex Uni so I know Brighton and he lived in Hove actually for a few years after Uni he's in Oz now and I really miss him.

Talking of skin problems, I used to clean for a couple of old chaps and one of them was 99 and had worked for the BBC and was a lovely chap. However he had very dry skin and left a huge amount of skin 'dust' everywhere and when I cleaned I was always worried about breathing in bits of Peter and changing the hoover bag was quite disturbing :o Well just lately i have noticed I am leaving behind a lot of dry skin!!!! :? must start using some good moisturiser, does anyone have any tips :?:

Pickles are you going to live in the Nederlands? Or just interested in the language. I am very similar with difficulties retaining knowledge. Doing my Customer Services online course I have to make notes of everything to stand a chance of remembering stuff.

Did your children make a fuss of you yesterday all you mums? My youngest daughter came from London bearing flowers and choccies. There are some alcohol flavoured ones in there which is a dilemma, not sure how much it would bother me though, its only flavouring and i accidentally ate an alcohol flavoured choccie at Christmas and it didn't induce any cravings whatsoever. I just felt guilty for a while which is a bit silly i think!

Rachel I had to laugh about the brandy mince pies at your AA meeting!! I took AF mince pies to my home group but it did cross my mind it would be funny if there was alcohol in them have very naughty thoughts like that bad Dizzie :oops:
This too shall pass

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 11 Mar 2013 19:43

That made me smile, Dizzie.

As did the idea of you inhaling Peter!

I generally have very oily skin, although my legs are a tad flaky at the moment. One of the only positive effects of my really bad drinking was that I began to dessicate a bit, so I didn't have to wash my hair every day! I am glad to say back to its oily true self now... and today, all day, I have really really I had washed it this morning...

I am very much a loner too. I think I spent most of my childhood in my bedroom, unless it was cold enough to drive me downstairs. I have never had a group of friends who know each other, so I don't think I am terribly good at conversing with more than one person at a time. But there is still time to learn!

I hope everyone has had a good day. Are there any newcomers due soon, I wonder?
Rachel

cazzzm
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2015

Post by cazzzm » 11 Mar 2013 21:32

Hi everyone,
I wonder how many of us consider ourselves introverts. Introverts feel energized from being alone with their thoughts and find being in social situations draining on their energy where as extroverts need other people to energize them and get quite bored when alone. If you watch children, some are quite happily playing by themselves using their imagination and others are "look at me, watch what I'm doing, play with me" and aren't happy unless they have constant attention from others.
I'm an introvert though I do like being with people, sometimes I definitely need time alone. I find if I'm in a group of more than three, I tend not to say much. I would be interested to hear what others think. From what some of you have said already, seems like you feel the same. Does anyone consider themselves extroverted?

I had a very close call on the weekend, I hosted a dinner party with three large drinkers and I was really, really tempted to have a night off. Luckily I had already made plans for the next morning that I couldn't cancel. If I drank I would have been hungover and seeing the others, I'm so glad I didn't. Another victory \:)/

Everyone take care and have a great week
<:)> Cazz
Last edited by cazzzm on 12 Mar 2013 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

ProudMum

Post by ProudMum » 11 Mar 2013 23:56

Rachel I'm so impressed you went to the Brighton meet! Am a bit envious I'm so far away. But not sure if I'd have the courage to go even if they were close.

I can't do anything with alcohol or alcohol flavouring yet, I just don't have enough trust in myself. My OH is slowly drinking more & more again, he is having a drink or 2 most nights now. It's funny how the tables have turned, he is often attempting to hide his drinking from me (having a beer or bourbon at work or on the way home in the car). Idiot. It actually makes me angry that he is drinking as it makes me feel we are SO awful to live with he feels he needs a drink to brace himself, which I find insulting. Yes 2 young'uns are pretty full-on at 6pm but it's only for an hour, 90 minutes at most. Then I have to smell his yucky alcohol fumes all bloody night.

Our impending Fiji holiday (not this Saturday but the next) got me thinking last night. I had a heart to heart with the OH and apologised for being such a drunken bum the past few tropical holidays and fessed up to how much I really didn't enjoy them that much as I was either drunk or hungover the whole time. And to remind me of that if I look like I'm going to order a drink on this holiday. I'm hoping he will get my hidden meaning & knock his drinking on the head a little, it's really easy for him to stop.

Oh and I'm a complete introvert. I blame it on being an only child of an overprotective mum for most of my childhood. The fact is, I think she was an introvert too, and so I take after her (whether through nature or nuture or a combo I'm not sure). I'm much happier with my own company usually. I abhor going to parties etc.

Ooooh I turned a book store man into a bumbling idiot today. I was aiming for 'nicely dressed' but maybe I missed & got another look completely lol. Got a lot of nice comments today actually. Must be the high heels. Who knows, we don't have a full length mirror so vanity is impossible around here. Right, we have a nice little breeze today so I'm going to go and attempt to work on my (non-existent) tan for a bit. So as not to frighten the Fijians 8-)

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 12 Mar 2013 20:24

Proudmum and GIAG and anyone else with an OH:you have my admiration that you have husbands/OH's at all drinking or not! I never got the hang of relationships and ended up having a long term relationship with wine instead! Thankfully divorced it now. It must be very hard though when they are drinking. Maybe it will just take time for them to see it is a better life choice not to drink and your example will prove it to them.

As far as being introvert/extrovert goes, I am most definitely introvert. When I was a child I refused to go to parties. If I did go I usually ended up in the birthday persons bedroom with my nose buried in a book. The mum would come and get me for jelly and ice cream and try to get me to spin the plate and pin a tail on a donkey which made me cringe with embarrassment when it was my turn. As soon as I could I slipped back upstairs to read the book and usually managed to take it home to finish. My idea of a good party as an adult was always to drink as much as possible and then i might have a 'good' time. I turned into a raving extrovert then (or should I say loony). :oops: GIAG I always used to drink at my children s' parties though it wasn't too much of a problem back then and I actually think it was ok at the time, it just got worse as they got older.

Gerard, I don't know much about mindfulness What does it mean? :?

Cazzm well done on resisting the drink at the party thats great ;)?

Rachel I think you are right there should be some more folks joining us soon on 9 month thread. I have been here nearly a month already, feel very at home! :)
This too shall pass

ProudMum

Post by ProudMum » 12 Mar 2013 22:09

Dizzie I guess I have an unorthodox relationship - we met as flatmates 16 years ago when I was 21, I fell for him not knowing he had fell for me too. We flatted together for almost a year before getting together, then kept it a secret from our other flatmates to avoid awkwardness. :oops:

We've been together for 15 years this halloween and no wedding bells are ringing for my OH, but we have bought a farm together & have 2 beautiful little girls. Luckily I'm not hugely into marriage or weddings lol. But it would be nice to have the same last name as my girls :shock:

It's funny what you said about birthday parties as a kid, one of my earlier memories is of my 5th birthday party & hiding under the table crying when people sung happy birthday to me. It still makes me cringe being sung to.

Yes there must be some 6 monthers due to join us soon?

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 13 Mar 2013 05:32

I met my husband through a house share, PM!

I would never eat at other children's birthday parties. I felt too self conscious.

Off to catch the train to the airport in about 40 mins! I am having to do the 'whatever you forget you can buy (apart from tablets)' mantra!
Rachel

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 13 Mar 2013 20:08

Yeah Pickles brilliant you coming on this thread on Friday (::) and Congratulations to Roledog 6 months today! \:)/

Gerard i will look at those links thank you and maybe go on the meditaion thread too.

Rachel where are you going again? Sorry have such a bad memory. Anyway have a fanatastic time!

Proudmum your relationship sounds pretty amazing and your farm and of course your 2 little girls. You have been blessed and I am so glad you are enjoying it fully by being free of alcohol. ;)?
This too shall pass

Tired Trying
Last Drink Date: 15 Jul 2018
First Sober Date: 16 Jul 2018

Post by Tired Trying » 13 Mar 2013 21:51

Hi GIAG

Just popped in to say hello <:)> I am back on the seven day thread (third time lucky) back as TT.

So pleased to see you are all doing well \:)/

Joy
Shoulder to the wind.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 14 Mar 2013 19:51

I am in Barcelona, Dizzie. Having a good time. The wine keeps a calling, but it's falling on deaf ears. Mind you a horrid drinking/having drunk dream last night! So God to be somewhere else!

R xxx
Rachel

ProudMum

Post by ProudMum » 15 Mar 2013 08:03

Ooooo Rachel, are you having fun??? Can't wait to hear all about your trip! (::)

Pickles, WELCOME!

I started to pack for Fiji today, one suitcase (over)full of kid's snacks, clothes & nappies 8-) Tonight I put together our 'medical' toilet bag, sigh, it used to be so simple going away. Now I have to take kids saline nasal spray & olbas oil in case of colds, teething gel & homeopathic teething spray, rescue remedy, antisceptic cream, antibiotic cream, 20 plasters, digital thermometer, antibiotics in case of ear infection, infant paracetamol and ibuprofen, itchy bite cream, etc etc. I have half a chemist in that bag :roll:

Right, better go, am being bullied by my OH to do some techie stuff on our old laptop so we can get some DVDs on a tablet for the girls for Fiji (no TV for 5 days of our holiday AND forecast to rain EVERY day lol).

<:)> to you all xx

dizzienomore

Post by dizzienomore » 15 Mar 2013 18:34

Hey CONGRATULATIONS PICKLES and welcome to the 9 month thread a lovely bunch if we say so ourselves! Six months AF is an amazing achievement (::) We have all come such a long way, may it continue.

Proudmum ha ha your packing sounds much more efficient than mine used to be but Fiji is probably a lot more remote than a caravan in Cornwall which used to be our holiday destination when the children were small sigh :) happy days!! I hope you have a wonderful time and don't need any of your pharmaceutical supplies and hope the rain holds off. It has been raining here all day in the South West of UK.

Rachel you have a great time in Barcelona and keep those AF ear plugs in when that nasty sneaky voice tells you how much you would like a glass of wine, we know what a liar it is and how it would turn out :( Glad you had that drinking dream too, they are great to wake up from ()o I had a dream last night, not an drinking dream i don't think but one which made sense to me on quite a deep level and i keep going back to it because it is a helpful one to remember if that makes sense :?

Tired Trying Welcome and so glad you back.

Gerard I read the link about 'mindfulness' it makes a lot of sense and could be useful for me in my prayers when sometimes I am just thinking about other stuff and can't concentrate on trying to focus on God. Will have a look at the thread.

Have a good weekend all of you BE folks <:)>
This too shall pass