The Nine Month Challenge

Rose13
First Sober Date: 25 Aug 2020

Re: The Nine Month Challenge

Post by Rose13 »

Thanks Action, just going through a tricky patch. My OH is super confident and all his friends are super confident so it’s always hard. Unfortunately I’m the opposite so I always did the classic get drunk coping strategy which we all know is a cop out. I’m happy just to avoid that situ still and like you say go out on my own and fo the things I enjoy and not get put down for doing them.

Hope everyone else is doing ok this weekend . It’s great to see so many of you reaching the 6 month mark \:)/

Smithster
Last Drink Date: 20 Sep 2020
First Sober Date: 21 Sep 2020

Post by Smithster »

Action wrote:
21 Mar 2021 09:25
Morning All!

Congratulations Smithster ... we’ve only gone and reached six months! \:)/ (::) \:)/

It is sad to think that a lot of things have possibly slipped through my fingers as a result BUT I am not to berate myself. I am an addict and addiction is a cruel thing. It was not my fault I became an addict although I have to take responsibility for my choices and decisions over the years. I will continue to learn to accept the past, be in the present and hopeful for the future.
Thank you, we've only gone and done it! SIX MONTHS. Well done to you too.

I think too about how many days I have wasted in life boozing, or recovering from a hangover.

I'll take your mantra and look forward instead of back, There is saying isn't there;

'Learn from the past, but not at the expense of the future'.

I think the quote was actually from Yoda in Starwars. But I stiill like it. I bet you cannot stop saying it to yourself now, in a Yoda accent :lol2: :lol2:

Action

Post by Action »

I think too about how many days I have wasted in life boozing, or recovering from a hangover.
It is really easy to get stuck in that place isn’t it Smithster. Thing is we’ll never know what would have happened if we had not been drinking and there’s absolutely nothing that we can do about changing anything now. The positive is we have found sobriety and from this point and from every point onwards continue to grow and make the most of our future and the rest of our lives.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Smithster

Post by Smithster »

Action wrote:
22 Mar 2021 08:51
The positive is we have found sobriety and from this point and from every point onwards continue to grow and make the most of our future and the rest of our lives.
Absolutely Action. Onwards we go.

Have a great week everyone. ;)?

Trina
Last Drink Date: 09 Sep 2020

Post by Trina »

Good morning my friends! It sounds as though everyone is feeling pretty positive about life and sobriety. I feel that I am getting back on track after my recent wine episodes. Living my life and thinking less about drinking every day. I realized this last night when I was out for dinner with friends - an actual dinner in a restaurant, which seems strange and daring after all this time at home. Anyway, I looked at the menu and noticed that they didn't serve alcohol, which in the past would have made me really antsy and uncomfortable. In fact, I used to check before going to any restaurant, and if they didn't have wine, I would go somewhere else! I was so pleased that a) I hadn't thought about it in advance and b) all that no-wine discomfort seems to have gone. I'm not taking it for granted, though. I know how quickly my thoughts can change. I'm OK for today, though, and today is really all I need to worry about.

Rose, I am so impressed that you are staying AF with a husband who drinks. I find it so hard not to be swayed by the people around me, and it is great that you have the strength to do what is right for you!

Action, Smithster, Cowboy, if you're checking in, Angelica . . . happy AF Monday to you all.

Trina
Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town -- George Carlin

Action

Post by Action »

Trina wrote:
22 Mar 2021 15:03
Living my life and thinking less about drinking every day.
That’s great Trina. <:)>
It’s lovely and motivating isn’t it when you realise that you haven’t thought about wine. \:)/
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Learn from the past, but not at the expense of the future
Yep in the Yoda accent :lol:
I’ve definitely learnt a lot over the last 6 months and there are some things I can or won’t do in the future ;)?
Living my life and thinking less about drinking every day.

Big thumbs up on this positive move forward Trina!
I get tough days now and again but find the most if the time I’m ok. It is usually when OH is drinking but I just take myself to bed early like I’ve done tonight. I do seem to spend a lot of weekend evenings in bed now :lol:
Once lockdown restrictions ease and the nights get lighter I will be able to get out a bit more though so looking forward to that too

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Howdy folks. Just checking in. Looks like everyone is faring well given this covid storm we are all weathering.

I'm sober and proud of it today. Gonna see my eldest daughter and grandson later today and pretty excited about that.

Happy trails.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Hey Cowboy :\:
Good on ya! Glad your well . Enjoy your family time ;)?

Smithster

Post by Smithster »

Cowboy wrote:
26 Mar 2021 12:23
Howdy folks. Just checking in. Looks like everyone is faring well given this covid storm we are all weathering.

I'm sober and proud of it today. Gonna see my eldest daughter and grandson later today and pretty excited about that.

Happy trails.
Hey Cowboy :\:

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Tough day! It was a close call today but pleased to say I got through AF.

Smithster

Post by Smithster »

Rose13 wrote:
27 Mar 2021 22:50
Tough day! It was a close call today but pleased to say I got through AF.
Good to hear!

Hope you are well.

;)?

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Thanks Smithster. How are you doing ?
It’s was hard but glad I didn’t drink. I really had to fight the urge. My trigger was OH. He was in a foul mood (prob due to hangover) snapped at our son for no reason and then he spent all day talking about beer and pubs reopening and it wound me up. The thoughts started creeping in and I was thinking I’ll never sustain this sobriety when the pubs reopen I was getting really hungry and tired too and spent a couple of hours fighting the urge but after I ate I made a cup of tea and was ok. It was a tough though. I’ve not felt that strongly for a while. Glad it’s Sunday morning ;)? it might have been a bit of boredom thrown in there too.
Onwards and upwards!

Action

Post by Action »

Morning Pals!

Sorry to hear about your wobble there Rose but absolutely outstanding work pushing through it and staying sober. Sounds like ... maybe ... your OH is unconsciously trying to sabotage your efforts to stay alcohol free. He is obviously uncomfortable with the strength that you are demonstrating. Good on you girl! <:)> (::) This is for you remember! Don’t bring him into the equation when it comes to your future happiness.

Cowboy, I hope you had a lovely day with your grandson and eldest daughter. How lovely.

Smithster, dare I say it but are you having a quiet weekend or are you cycling to Timbuktu? :lol:
Trina, have you been out again in your camper? Just had a thought from nowhere. Are you a bit reluctant to go out in it due to wine thoughts or have you bashed that one into submission now?

Keep on trucking ... toot toot! ;)?
Last edited by Action on 29 Mar 2021 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
#38 on 2021 Challenge

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Hey Action :\:
Hope your well and having a nice Sunday?
Yes yesterday was tough but thanks I am glad and proud I got through and definitely feel stronger today .

Trina
Last Drink Date: 09 Sep 2020

Post by Trina »

Hey guys,

I'm out in my camper now. Parked in my friend's driveway. I'll sleep in her house tonight, but right now I am having a bit of alone time in the van. It's raining, and very cozy in here. I will not lie, I've had some wine thoughts, but have managed to keep things under control.

Will write more when I can. Rose, I'm in awe of your determination! Hi to everyone else.

Trina
Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town -- George Carlin

Smithster

Post by Smithster »

Hello folks

Sorry guys, never got to post ovet the weekend as I got a little busy.

All well here, bit grumpy today, just the Monday blues I think. Had a shitty on line business meeting on Friday morning that ended up like the gun fight at the OK Corral. I think it just set the tone for the next few days.

Also had my Covid jab last wedensday, and much to my surprise and cynicism that you can get unwell from the jab, I did!

Nothing major, but headaches and fatigue up to today, so it's wiped my cycling out a little also.

Well done Rose for still staying strong (::)

Hope everyone else is good - Trina and action ;)?

Anyone heard from LBNS?

Action

Post by Action »

Hi Peeps!

Sorry to hear about your challenging meeting Smithster. I hope it’s all settled down now. It must be so hard working from home, frustrating at times. Hope that your feeling better now ... I got the same symptoms. <:)>

Trina, how wonderful ... lying in your van listening to the rain. That sounds absolutely wonderful.

I had a fleeting wine thought, think it was Sunday ... literally just because of the sunshine. Just reminiscing I guess. I told myself that it was completely possible to enjoy the summers evening without wine, with a glass of soda or tonic with ice...very refreshing! ;)?

Hope you’re okay Rose and yes, hello LBNS ... pop your head round the door! <:)>
#38 on 2021 Challenge

Smithster

Post by Smithster »

Happy Good Friday everyone.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy long weekend.

Seems odd that this time last year I was on the strong cider by 11.30, because it was good friday of course, and any excuse will do!

I have other plans this weekend, but I am sure there will be lots of thoughts creeping in which I will wash to one side in place on new habits.

Stay strong everyone, and enjoy the new normal. :\:

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Hello peeps and happy good Friday to you all :\:
Seems odd that this time last year I was on the strong cider by 11.30, because it was good friday of course, and any excuse will do![/quote

Gosh similar story for me Smithster . I used to clock watch to see when it was acceptable to start drinking and was drink before dinner time!
Onwards and upwards though eh!
This morning I got up at 6.45 did 30 mins yoga then 90 minutes tennis :lol:
Got a bit of a situ ! Been invited to a garden party but feel very apprehensive. My OH’s friends. I really don’t fancy it for lots of different reasons argh will have to decide soon.
Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely sunshine!
Trina - sounds so nice to be in your campervan!! Lots of adventures to be had there !!
Smithster, Action, Trina, Cowboy and anyone else looking in happy hols to you all xx