Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

Vertical Man

Re: Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

Post by Vertical Man »

Well done from me as well Gerard.

You are perfect for this role - and thank you again for all your support.

Steve.
“I don’t want a drink: I want a drunk.”
Steve.

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Sings <the sun has got it's hat on. Hip hip hip hooray. The sun has got it's hat on and it's coming out to play.>. I'm not sure how long it'll stay though. We had a huge thunder and lightning, very very frightening storm yesterday.

I don't do 'exercise' and I don't do 'gym'. However, yesterday, while chatting to a work colleague, I appear to have carried myself away with enthusiasm, and enrolled myself as organiser for a 'liberate your limbs' pre work gentle warm up session. About 15 minutes of gentle stretches before starting work. She'll lead the session(s), while I'm the instigator. That was last night. This morning I've woken up to realise I've sent round emails and put notices on boards. Was I mad? Drunk? Starts next Tuesday, and if no one comes, it'll end next Tuesday.

Hmmmm.
be selfish in your sobriety.

MissCheese
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2011

Post by MissCheese »

Lol sounds like a good idea Danny :)

Congrats on going green Gerard! You'll be smashing :D
MissCheese

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Headband and leg warmers? Genius idea. I'm getting enthusiastic again!

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

I might need to snatch your headband and legwarmers Danny - just popped out for the papers and it's decidedly autumnal :o Time to start preparing for hibernation.
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Lucy Lamb
Last Drink Date: 15 Jan 1912
First Sober Date: 16 Jan 2012

Post by Lucy Lamb »

Hello loves!

Thought I would check in for my 2 and a half years and a month!
It's been the worst of times, but will now be the best of times, I hope. We are making some major changes.
Just had my 50th bash...what a wild time that was. Let me say 2 words "RED BULL" woooo!
Unfortunately I am having a smoking lapse, but something has to give!!
Hope you are all ok. Who is still around? Who is new? xxx
\:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/
Alcohol is the biggest LIE they ever tell you. I mean, it's big. Bigger than the tooth fairy, bigger than Santa, bigger and scarier than the monster under the bed. L.Lamb. 2012.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Hi Lucy. Dave Grendel/Jaxom will be pleased to see you. He's currently away on an Internet desert in Kent.

Congratulations on life and 50 - but not the smoking. That's a hurdle to be jumped. You can do it though.

faith2be
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2018

Post by faith2be »

A very belated but nonetheless heartfelt congratulations to pitstop and toots for passing the 1 year milestone \:)/ \:)/ <:)> love faith
Definition of recovery:
1) "a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength"
2) "the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost"

Lucy Lamb

Post by Lucy Lamb »

Yay! GO US Gerard! xxx
Yes, smoking is a no-no, but one of the better ones DD! I will stop soon xxx
<:)> <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)>
Alcohol is the biggest LIE they ever tell you. I mean, it's big. Bigger than the tooth fairy, bigger than Santa, bigger and scarier than the monster under the bed. L.Lamb. 2012.

Lucy Lamb

Post by Lucy Lamb »

Give GrendelJ my love if you are in touch please. xx

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Danny - just wanted to say love your signature - that's helped me today! :)
Breaking on through to the other side. \:)/

Andyc
Last Drink Date: 09 Jul 2013

Post by Andyc »

Hi all,
Thought id try a bit of a friday post to see what everyone is up to over the weekend?

Well i dont need to ask about Danny, it sounds like it will be 'flashdance' style warm ups in front of the old jane Fonda workout video- just to get a bit of practice in before the main event on Tuesday?!

Im going to build myself yet another log store tomorrow, I am rapidly running out of room for all this wood I keep being given/ sourcing/ 'finding'
First port of call is to go and collect a load of pallets I have been given, break them down, and re-build them in a nice structure that will keep my logs from getting wet. Thats the plan anyway. Lots of pretty pictures online of ones that carpenters have made, fairly sure my brain will trick me into thinking mine will resemble something similar, but as always the results are bound to be somewhat 'unique'
At least all the materials are free, and if I cock it up, just break the whole lot up and add it to the woodpile I guess.
Sad that I am actually looking forward to the cold weather, I so enjoy my log burner, had the chimney swept a few months ago and the guy was impressed at the lack of 'gunk' stuck to the chimney walls, he said "people get these things and just burn anything in them" I didnt have the heart to say that i had pretty much thrown everything on it that i could find that would burn. Christmas day for example, mine was the only house with NO wrapping paper rubbish bin liners piled up outside it, that stuff sure does burn nice, especially the little bow thinghys that OCD relatives put on some gifts.

Anyhoo, hope you all have a great weekend, wherever you are,

Danny, it might help you to set your alarm for 4am tomorrow, download the soundtrack from 'Rocky', drink some raw eggs, and start punching the air for a warm up?! :lol:

;)?

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

Andy if I were at home I would post a pic of our French log pile,er heap! I love tossing the logs in/onto it
( sounds vaguely vulgar!)

This weekend I am flying to Seattle :)
Rachel

Andyc
Last Drink Date: 09 Jul 2013

Post by Andyc »

Rachel wrote:Andy if I were at home I would post a pic of our French log pile,er heap! I love tossing the logs in/onto it
( sounds vaguely vulgar!)

This weekend I am flying to Seattle :)

Rachel that sounds great, how long are you going for? Im very jealous you are heading off to Seattle :lol:

Nothing vulgar about tossing a pile of french logs in the privacy of your own garden, i find it pretty relaxing too sometimes!
The problem is my cheeky dog is pinching the odd bits of wood here and there and giving them a munch indoors, cant blame her i suppose, but she doesnt take any out of the other log stores so i thought id try and build another one.
Doing it sober also means less chance of the old familiar injuries sustained from tools and stuff, which is always nice!

;)?

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 »

Hello all \:)/

Aaaagghh! I missed Lucy Lambkins! Hope you are still around hun <:)> <:)> Congratulations on your 31 months of AF living and well done. Remember when 31 days seemed an impossible goal? Sorry to hear you have been having troubles but the future always holds bright possibilities while we stay sober.

I am in a state of shock and confusion. No, not the very well-deserved change of colour for Gerard, and not before time. Again, well done Mr G. The reason for my discombobulation is that my mental image of DannyD has been totally overturned. Headband? Legwarmers?? Pinning notices up on boards??? Press-ganging people???? What happened to the bicycle- riding, nettle-bashing, organ-playing, knit-one-purl-one, aga-cleaning, traditional British DannyD I imagine????? Now I've run out of x's (see what I did there? x).

Talking of traditional British..... I managed to maintain my newly-acquired suntan yesterday while dodging the showers. Sun out, shirt off, ah.. this is the life... rain, dash indoors, put on a damp shirt and repeat. Today is forecast to be dry but no sign of sunshine. The forecast is often wrong, except for one thing. I will have a dry day and I am sure you will too. 'Live long and prosper', it's the logical thing to do. ;)?

Dave

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Morning

Hedgehog - I've found - as I've grown as old as Methusaleh - that if you're gently selfish, no-one notices. And if you're going to be very focused in the early days, you almost have to be aggressively selfish.

Andy I was up at 3, wandered like a lost soul around the house and went back to bed. Setting the alarm? The body woke up, but the brain stayed asleep.

Rachel, have a lovely time away. The fizzing excitement. In the old days, we used to tame it with alcohol. Now, you're just going to have to enjoy the anticipation. I've always found it daunting and difficult.

Dave, my idea of gentle exercise is entirely British. My colleague (I think I might have talked her into this) has probably got 15 minutes of kick boxing lined up.

And the sun shines again. It's going to be another good day in the South I hope.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Oh, and a shout out to Pickles. Hope you're ok lovely.

MissCheese

Post by MissCheese »

I too am looking forward to winter Andy! I replaced my old, and rather knackered stove this spring and am so looking forward to seeing how my new super dooper one works. The odd occasion when I've had the stove going since installed have been fab! I have two log stores, one small one that holds around 2 tonnes and the second one that holds around 4 tonnes and that looks a little like a bus shelter, so that is what it is called. Both full to the brim at the moment.

Hoping to not need my crappy central heating at all this year as the new stove seems to go 24 hours if shut down properly before bed :D

I love a little firewood chat :?
Logs!
Logs!
20140807_072058.jpg (158.99 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Good to see Lucy Lamb <:)>

I'm very jealous of your trip to Seattle, Rachel! Hope you have a lovely time :) They do coffee so much better than we do.
MissCheese

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I'm envious MissC. That's what you call a wood store. Mine is scattered higgledy piggedly and will probably rot down before I get round to burning any. Meanwhile, my solid fuel Aga needs repack ing (?) at vast expense, so it's pencilled in for September. I hope I'll be able to turn it up and down again, making it more efficient and economical.

Swimming. We (m' daughter and me) had lessons a couple of weeks ago. My technique has improved so much that I almost enjoy swimming. And I'm finally out of the slow lane. There was no one in the fast lane this morning, so I became one of the super heroes of the fast lane. It was great as I got a chance to practise crawl (five strokes and I'm drowning. Turn round and do it again back to the shallow end).

MissCheese

Post by MissCheese »

Danny I knew someone who taught themselves to swim by watching a 'Learn to Swim' DVD, I kid you not. Went from zero experience to doing triathlons in a very short period of time. I love swimming but my technique is rubbish!
MissCheese