Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

Post by Topcat » 14 Jan 2020 12:50

ChamomileTea wrote:
13 Jan 2020 21:42
and because 27th December is my 2 year soberversary.
Belated congratulations CT (::) \:)/
Iroquois wrote:
13 Jan 2020 21:09
Back to the journal thing! Are you journal keepers going to destroy your's eventually or are you going to leave them for others to read?
I destroyed a lot of my journals when I was moving house. Felt I didn't need to keep them any longer. I write down my thoughts/actions etc., for my own benefit (rather than bottle things up) and wouldn't want my ramblings to be read by anyone else. I'll just keep the latest ones now and destroy older ones as I go along.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 15 Jan 2020 10:48

Hello CT. Very nice to see you on here. I think Seedlip is a bit of a waste of money too. I quite like Three Spirit, but over priced and a bit weird (in a good way.)

I stopped writing thoughts journals because they were always just miserable, but I do have bits and pieces. However I really don't want read them. I prefer to remember that my late alcoholism and early recovery was utterly awful and traumatic, rather than to relive it which I fear I would if I revisited my writing. Reading about it causes me immense anxiety, guilt, shame and fear. But then I am a bit of a bury bad feelings under the surface rather than deal with them (how do you do that?) sort of person, so... if that fulled my alcholism I've not made progress :?
Rachel

Lucy Lamb
Last Drink Date: 15 Jan 1912
First Sober Date: 16 Jan 2012

Post by Lucy Lamb » 15 Jan 2020 11:31

Hi Guys!!!!

Just checking in for my EIGHT YEAR anniversary!!! :\: :\: :\:

All is going great and i am LOVING the sober life still. How are you all doing? xxxx
<:)> <:)> <:)>
Alcohol is the biggest LIE they ever tell you. I mean, it's big. Bigger than the tooth fairy, bigger than Santa, bigger and scarier than the monster under the bed. L.Lamb. 2012.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 15 Jan 2020 12:23

Brilliant Lucy \:)/ (::) So lovely to hear from you <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 15 Jan 2020 15:22

Well done Lucy Lamb .
IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG (38.31 KiB) Viewed 554 times

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 15 Jan 2020 20:49

Congrats Lucy Lamb! Good for you!

Hi Pickles! Good to see you!

Speaking of Journals, I was on Big A last night and found a bunch of journals bound in leather and all cool looking! I might have to get me one of those! I have this one bedraggled cloth covered journal that I have been writing in for years! Because, for the longest time I took long sabbaticals from writing!

I read today that the Full English Breakfast is going to be a thing of memory as young folks eschew the grease of the biggie! It always looked good to me except for maybe the blood pudding! The tomato, beans and mushrooms would be a wonderful addition to the standard American breakfast of eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast!

Beans, the lowly protein, so good for dieting, full of fiber and good nutrition! Used to be a staple of the American west, beans and ham, with cooked or raw onions, and canned tomatoes for Vitamin C! No fresh fruit was available in the winter and citrus was rare, so canned tomatoes were invaluable!

Ok, droning on when I need to get something done!

Best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 15 Jan 2020 21:17

8 years. That's amazing Lucy lamb.
Enough time wasted on this.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 15 Jan 2020 22:58

Congratulations Lucy Lamb! And thanks for coming back to post, it's so encouraging.

Deanna, don't forget the Bubble and Squeak, my favourite part of a home-cooked full English. Oh, and we usually have sausages too :D
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 15 Jan 2020 23:29

SB, you must tell me more about Bubble and Squeak!

I have heard of it but not sure what all the ingredients are????

Such a cool, fun name for a much loved dish! I want to try it!

Like here, Mexican food has become a staple. I can remember just recoiling at all the heat when I was younger, now I love the heat! Very hot salsa with homemade chips, oh to die for! This would be corn chips, flat triangles, crisp and salty! My mouth is watering!

And, pizza! Pizza is like everyday fare now, but I had never even heard of it until I was around 16! But, oh my, Italian food is the best!

Guess who is hungry? I better go have a late lunch! I wish we had the selection of cheese that you guys (UK) have. No one ventures very far into cheese land where I live. Brie and Gouda are considered exotic! I once belonged to a Cheese of the Month Club, but I got such huge amounts that I could never get it eaten up before the next one would come! But, it was fun, though, and tasty!

Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 16 Jan 2020 07:12

Well done Lucy! 8 years is brilliant, you sound very chuffed. :D \:)/ \:)/ <:)>

Also a big well done to ChamomileTea on your recent two years! \:)/ \:)/ <:)>

So good to read guys, thanks for sharing. \:)/

Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 16 Jan 2020 08:19

silvergirl wrote:
16 Jan 2020 07:12

Also a big well done to ChamomileTea on your recent two years!
Yes CT, fantastic on 2 years (::) !

Hi CB,just saw your post , hope you are well . You too ,L4L ;)?
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Mooths
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2018

Post by Mooths » 16 Jan 2020 10:01

Congrats to Lucy Lamb and CT: you are inspirational.

Just checking in quickly, halfway through my 13th month sober. It's also halfway through Veganuary for me, which I'm finding a bit of a struggle: can't wait to return to my usual (pescatarian) diet next month, though with booze firmly off the menu, of course.
“Being extremely honest with oneself is a good exercise.” ~ Sigmund Freud

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 16 Jan 2020 10:08

tell me more about Bubble and Squeak
Basically, it's left over vegetables, but I like it so much I sometimes make it from scratch! Mashed potato, or (better for flavour) the scooped out insides of baked potatoes. Sauteed onion, diced fine. Shredded cabbage or other brassicas. Mould into patties and fry in butter. Serve with crispy bacon, plenty of pepper, and mustard on the side. Avoid the scales for a day or two.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 16 Jan 2020 12:22

Oh, I've got the urge for bubble and squeak now. It used to be the only way my mum could get me to eat my veggies as a kid. She used to chop all the cooked veg up with the left over potato, bung it in the frying pan, and I used to wolf it down ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 16 Jan 2020 14:58

Congratulations, Lucy Lamb!

Re young ones (in the UK at least) and the Full English, they seem to love their junk food (the vegan reolution seems to mainly involve deep fried faux meaty things), so I can't see it dying out. It's kind of childhood mythology, along with 'the Sunday Roast', to be (not really) revisted (not really, because never part of their childhood) in pubs and cafes at the weekend.
Rachel

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 16 Jan 2020 22:09

Bubble and Squeak sounds delicious!

I can't wait to try it, I don't think it sounds terribly calorific! No eggs then? Do the eggs get cooked up on the side along with the bacon?

I love cabbage and that sounds like a good way to fix it!

It sounds somewhat like hash, a delicious way of using up the leftover beef roast! My mom used to just put everything left from the roast, meat, carrots, potatoes, onions, celery and etc. through the grinder and then fry the whole lot up and serve with biscuits and butter, jelly or honey! Not sweet biscuits but southern biscuits made from flour, shortening, milk, salt and baking soda.

But the price of beef today, I seldom buy anything more than hamburger!

Here's to good food and plenty of it!

Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 16 Jan 2020 22:39

Low calorie - hmm! The name comes from: bubble = the sound of the patties frying in lashings of butter; squeak = the sound the cabbage is supposed to make as it cooks. I'd go for a fried egg or two on top, and several rashers of crips bacon on the side.

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 17 Jan 2020 15:47

Well done Lucy, 8 years is amazing. \:)/ (::) \:)/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 17 Jan 2020 21:00

Butter and not animal fat, then SB?! (I have no idea. Been vegetarian for 35 years.) I love bubble and squeak...

You'll be needing some HP sauce, Deanna, for the full, authentic experience. Fried tomatoes optional (and often abysmal when this is eaten 'out'.)
Rachel

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 18 Jan 2020 08:49

I would go with butter + a little oil to prevent burning. If you're going to have tomatoes, they have to be fresh not tinned, and I halve grill them till charred on the cut side but still firm within.
Rachel's quite right, brown sauce is important, although I prefer Stokes to HP. Mild grainy mustard is also especially good with bubble and squeak.

Jeez, no wonder I'm fat!