Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Re: Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

Post by Ed » 11 Nov 2019 17:35

Haha thanks so.much. I wrote this there but posting here...

You know why I chose Lovejoy? Although I love that series, a guilty pleasure I suppose, Ian Mcshane was quite the boozer but he gave up around the time of filming Lovejoy, sometime during I believe. He was roughly the same age as me now/a year ago. I read that he's never looked back, best decision he made was stopping. I have found that useful to 'know' people who've gone from strength to strength. Importantly for me, that it's never too late.
Enough time wasted on this.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 11 Nov 2019 18:58

Its never too late to stop Ed totally agree !

Congratulations ! on your One Year Milestone ! \:)/ (::) ;)?

Fantastic ! \:)/ 8-)
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 11 Nov 2019 20:07

Hello gangstas! :\:

Thought I'd pop in and see how everyone is doing!?!? 18 F here today, snow and looks like a snowy winter coming up! Congrats Ed and Tai on your milestones!

I got a new kitten, his name is Stevie, and he is a holy terror! Keeping me very tired because the little furball never wants to sleep, and thinks he needs wet food from a can every five minutes! I always get "kitten fever" and then wonder why when it seems like I have a new baby around the house! Well, I guess I do but he is covered in fur and moves like the speed of light! He is white and Tortie with gold eyes and a very pink nose and beans! Well some of his beans have black on them though! So I am sleep deprived, scratched, bitten and bleary eyed from trying not to step on the little monster! My older cat is not thrilled but they do get along!

Easy peasy Cranberry sauce: 12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries, 1 cup sugar, a tad of lemon or orange juice, 1 tsp or a bit of zest, heat on low until the sugar dissolves then heat on medium until the berries burst. Use it as jelly or jam and squish it through a sieve if you don't want the skins, but they taste just fine and are good for fiber! Beats that gel in a can, much diluted with water!!

Hope all is going well with you all! Happy Veteran's Day!

Best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Ed

Post by Ed » 11 Nov 2019 20:27

I'm very envious Iroquois. I love cats but don't currently have any where I am.

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 11 Nov 2019 20:47

Ed, we have to pay dearly to have pets!

I have to pay $40 per month per cat, only I only admit to one, since they always run and hide when someone knocks!

There is an apartment shortage here in Denver and they get away with every dang charge in the book! Getting pet rent is just pure gravy because you never get your deposit back anyway! So, essentially, everyone just pays $500 to $1200 extra rent just to have a fur friend or two!

Oh well, such is life, I guess!

Is everyone getting ready for Christmas? We have Thanksgiving first, so that means two turkeys a year! (w)

Another year for our Trexit, fingers crossed! Impeachment starts this Wednesday! Yahoo! Entertainment or root canal? You decide!

Deanna (w) (w) (w)
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.

Ed

Post by Ed » 11 Nov 2019 23:07

You think they'll get him? It's like Johnson, we are going to be stuck with the trump's and the Johnsons for the next decade. For some reason people like being lied to by wealthy sociopaths.

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Post by fiz » 12 Nov 2019 05:56

Yeah Ed, you made it to the “beyond” well done my friend. Do you have a new target? 🎯
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Ed

Post by Ed » 12 Nov 2019 10:33

Hi fiz, thanks very much. Not really. I suppose from here on it it's just keeping my eye on the ball. Seems funny really because after a year it's two years. That's a long time to be focussing on one thing. I suppose I'm trying to move towards life goals with the clarity that not drinking gives me.

Jj123

Post by Jj123 » 12 Nov 2019 11:29

Ed wrote:
12 Nov 2019 10:33
Hi fiz, thanks very much. Not really. I suppose from here on it it's just keeping my eye on the ball. Seems funny really because after a year it's two years. That's a long time to be focussing on one thing. I suppose I'm trying to move towards life goals with the clarity that not drinking gives me.
Great way of looking forward good luck Ed
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 12 Nov 2019 19:29

He is white and Tortie
Are you sure he's a he? Torties are usually female?
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 12 Nov 2019 19:47

Ed wrote:
12 Nov 2019 10:33
... I suppose I'm trying to move towards life goals with the clarity that not drinking gives me.
Ed, there is always the Life Improvement Workshop thread ;)?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=819
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 12 Nov 2019 21:52

Hi SB and all!

Yes, he is a Tortie and a boy! In the U.S. we call Tortoiseshell the ones that have circling variations of black and light gray, not the more usual stripes. Those patterns resemble a turtle's shell, hence Tortie! We call Calico the cats that are different, often patchy colors, black, orange, grey and white. Calicos are usually female! You may have a different way in the UK, I don't know!

Stevie has a lot of white, too, his face is white with a stripey cap, and his nose is just the most delightful rose pink! His legs, tumy and feet are white and he has a white patch on his back. He is just hell on wheels, but also adorable! This is why we get Kitten Fever, because for brief times, they are angels and irresistible!

Like Biscuit! You call cookies biscuits, what do you call biscuits???? In the US, biscuits are soft breadlike blobs consisting of lard, flour, milk, salt, baking soda and not very much else!!!!!! They are quick bread that do not need to rise, owing to the baking soda. They are often served for breakfast and originated in the south! All sweet confections like shortbread, ginger, oatmeal, chocolate chip round delights are called cookies!

Ed, get a plan, a goal, it makes backsliding less easy, I think. Like going for 18 months, next!

Take care, everyone, hugs, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 13 Nov 2019 11:21

We call callicos, tortoiseshells/torties. Male ones are possible but usually sterile.

I don't think we have a word for what you describe. We have tabby cats that can be stripy or spotty.

My Lily is a tortie and white with tabby markings in her ginger bits and some pure tabby bits too.

How lovely to have a kitten and how shocking that they charge you rent!

We also call ginger cats, ginger cats (!) but sometimes marmalade cats. When I worked in a cat shelter we had an American volunteer who calleld them Orange cats. Is that common or was that just him?
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 13 Nov 2019 11:26

I suppose Lily is a torbie and white?!
25561839851_62a8554d80_c.jpg
25561839851_62a8554d80_c.jpg (117.86 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Rachel

Ed

Post by Ed » 13 Nov 2019 16:13

Oh she's a beauty. If looks could kill!

I've come to love cats a bit later in life. They're great, definitely a cat person over a dog person. We were looking after two gorgeous calicos in France for 10 months. We discussed adopting them as the owner didn't want them to move to their house in a busy area in England. I keep thinking about it but I'm not sure it's fair to make cats travel long distances. One of them was in the car on a short journey and had a bit of a panic attack.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 13 Nov 2019 17:03

I suppose there are ways. They'd hate the journey but would survive it. I know someone whose 'in laws' take their cats to Italy every year. The cats hate the journey, but...
That is going too far (literally as well as metaphorically!), I think, but a one off, maybe.
If we ever move to France may have to wait until we are catless, though, and then acquire some chatons/chats. Their stress is my stress, as bonfire night demonstrates. My current two are extreme cases when it comes to loud noises, strangers in the house, other cats and travelling.
Rachel

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 13 Nov 2019 19:44

Yes, we would call the above kitty a Calico and white. And, yes, we do call the yellow and dark yellow kitties orange, but I have fallen in love with the term Ginger so I have adopted that! It is so much more expressive! My late beloved Nikky was a Ginger, but rather a blonde Ginger. He had such beautiful fur, but it was fine and long and totally heckish to clean up! I miss him so, but he lived to be 17 or 18, not sure which, so he had a good long life. He did have to put up with me at my worst time of bingeing and did a lot to comfort and care for my beloved Tuxedo, Alexi I don't think I ever mistreated my puddies when I was a drunk because they were very comforting, so, hopefully I cared for them pretty well!

As for traveling with cats, a carrier is imperative, it doesn't make them any happier, but it keeps them safe and under control. Also, a vet could give you some temporary tranquilizers to just let them sleep through the ride. My vet would give me 10 pills for around $10 and it worked very well keeping them snoozing through the ride!

My daughter used to bring her cats home, 300 miles, and they would yowl all the way, but be happier than clams once they got to gramma's house! It was always fun to have my cats and her cats having gobs of fun in the country! But, they only went outside under supervision! Mostly they just ran around the house and up and down the stairs into the basement!

Cats area easier than dogs to care for, but I love them both!

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 14 Nov 2019 12:48

I believe we call pale ginger cats peach tabbies (they usually have tabby - stripy or spotty - markings.) Biscuit coloured? (As in cookies.) Goodness (the language differences.)

My sibling's first cat was a beautiful pale ginger boy.
Rachel

Sammie
Last Drink Date: 26 Oct 2018

Post by Sammie » 16 Nov 2019 08:33

A belated but huge CONGRATS to Ed - you rock \:)/ (::) ;)? <:)>
Every storm runs out of rain.

Ed

Post by Ed » 17 Nov 2019 13:14

Thanks Sammie. How are you doing? How's life?