Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Re: Beyond the 1 Year Milestone

Post by SoberBoots » 22 Nov 2019 08:27

I’ve already set myself a new challenge, I’m going for two year next, and I’m already on day 3 of that \:)/ I also might do another 💯 day challenge, I find that one a nice number to complete, the challenges have worked for me this time around, it’s the first time I’ve really thrown myself into them. But one day at a time is good for me atm.
That's great fiz (::) I joined the monthly challenges as well, and in my second year I made a celebration out of each quarter year milestone. Rewards and acknowledgement are important. I think the first section of the second year can be a really tough time - it was for me - and while I don't mean to be negative it's wise to be prepared, just in case. Now in my third year it all feels a lot more settled and sobriety is definitely the new normal.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 22 Nov 2019 08:32

I hope you will be able to enjoy the party,fiz, even if it’s still a long way off it does give you time if you want to go ,or not . It’s good to feel more strongly about it this year,I know in my early days ,on and off, I would be nervous about others drinking. It’s just a shame people still have to check on us why we are not drinking,or have to say those things . Good thing about this forum is that you can post how things are or your worries, and that someone will be around. Christmas usually is busy here .

Time of year where we have to start checking no alcohol in mince pies, Christmas cake or what not .
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 22 Nov 2019 18:16

I think my little squirrel is very full and in his tree home having a long morning's nap!

He came about 8 a.m. and slicked up the whole offering of walnuts, peanuts and crackers! It was 27 degrees F out so a good breakfast was in order! He is not tame or trusting enough to stay by the glass door and eat, he scurries in and grabs a nut and then zips back to the fence of the patio and eats quickly! He then darts back and gets more and repeats! I am sure my two predators on the inside, one with gold eyes and one with green eyes with looks that could kill, would tend to deter the little fuzzy feeder!

I have to pass on a relaxing distraction that I think would be good for newbies and anyone wobbling and needing something basically mindless to occupy those idle hands!!!! And, maybe everyone is already playing these, but, maybe not. I first started with Cross Stitch World doing virtual cross stitch patterns! At first, I thought it was kind of lame, but then I got to doing a pattern and now I just love cross stitching with one finger and no mess!!!! The other, which I got from there, almost the same but a little bit different, is Pixel Tap! You have a pattern and a row of colors and you just tap the numbered colors until the picture is done! They are through Amazon, of course, and are designed to make you spend money on new patterns, but I haven't bought any yet. You earn points and can buy patterns with your points, which will keep you occupied for a long, long time! you receive points every day that you visit, too, not many, but saving them up can get you patterns. Pixel Tap is good about giving free patterns about once a week if you lurk about and give them a good review!!!! Which, I did, no fool here!!!!

I also do Jigsaw puzzles and paint by number on line, those are fun too! And Mah Jong solitaire is always good for a pretty easy distraction.

No advert there, just passing on a pastime that would be good for many and pretty much inexpensive unless you go Gung Ho and start buying all the best patterns! Of course, that is what they want you to do! Some of them can get pretty pricey, but just go with points, you will get enough patterns to keep you stitching and tapping for quite a while! I know that in my first year of sobriety, distractions made the difference in keeping my sanity and calming my nerves! I still love distractions to help me stay calm and steady!

Best wishes and stay warm, gang, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Post by fiz » 23 Nov 2019 06:15

Aw, your little squirrel sounds a proper character. I love watching them, they’re always so busy.
Not sure about your other pass times Deanna, I think I’d get obsessed with them and end up doing nothing else. Can you remember that game tetras? Apart from going to the loo, I once never moved from my bed on a day off work playing that, I think this is my nature with everything.
But, we’re all different, I like the sound of the cross stitch one, but daren’t even look at it. :lol:
Have a lovely weekend everyone, I’m judging an obedience class tomorrow, 21 entries, dog obedience that is. :lol2:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 23 Nov 2019 19:42

Yes, Fiz, they are quite addictive! But, everything in moderation!

You know, your charge runs down and you have to recharge your screen of choice, and then, make yourself go get something done!

I've been bingeing on your Great English Baking Contest shows, just love those! I am just amazed at how inventive and creative the bakers are, and so humble and accepting when they fail and get criticized!

Have a great weekend all!

Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.

joholdbrook
Last Drink Date: 07 Dec 2014

Post by joholdbrook » 25 Nov 2019 14:59

:\: how's everyone

Getting near to Christmas my dreaded time if the year for reasons unknown to me
Every song today is a Christmas song so I put the TV on and bang a Christmas film
Is it me or is it just to early

I could quite easily live without Christmas

Anyway that's my thought for the day

Hope everyone is doing great
Je suis prest

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 28 Nov 2019 21:49

Hi Jo!

I feel the same way! Never much joy in the holidays, it always just seems like buy, spend money, 900 recipes for turkey, how to eat like a bird at the holidays (as if), and on and on!

I never really want to go anywhere, so I make it a take or leave it situation! My family doesn't push and I am thankful for that.

Holidays of old, the last generation, always killed themselves off to cook a feast, and it seemed so stressful on the women! Men, in the old days, my childhood, really enjoyed holidays because they didn't do squat other than maybe get out the folding chairs or put the table extender in! They ate and then rested! Mostly we never had alcohol, but in later years, we did, but in moderation. It was when I went home that I drank by myself! Anyone else do that?

I enjoy Christmas on a more quiet level, today, doing less makes it more enjoyable! I do try to get in the mood somewhat, though, don't want to be entirely Bah Humbug!

Deanna

Blifter

Post by Blifter » 01 Dec 2019 09:56

Hello all,

Not on here too much these days, work and life seem to be filling my days completely and i rarely have that much free time.

I do like to drop in when i can though and continue to be inspired by the strength and courage of everyone here, those doing well and those that are maybe struggling - we have to keep trying is the main thing and hopefully, one day, things click into place. It is wonderful to read people’s posts when that day arrives \:)/

I recently went past my 4 year anniversary and, as ever, just wanted to say thank you to Tobin, the mods and everyone posting who take the time to make this such a helpful, friendly and encouraging place. It has been a tremendous help to me (and continues to be) and i hope to be reading of others getting to where they want to be for years to come.

Thanks, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 10 Nov 2019

Post by Leslans » 01 Dec 2019 09:59

Hi Blifter, good to see you about. Congratulations on your forthcoming 4 year anniversary that’s a real achievement. I guess alcohol features rarely these days and that is just what we all strive for. I’m back for good, although I will always be one day at a time. <:)>
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 01 Dec 2019 10:42

\:)/ \:)/ Blifter, congratulations on passing Four Years \:)/ \:)/
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 01 Dec 2019 10:45

Blifter wrote:
01 Dec 2019 09:56
Hello all,

Not on here too much these days, work and life seem to be filling my days completely and i rarely have that much free time.

I do like to drop in when i can though and continue to be inspired by the strength and courage of everyone here, those doing well and those that are maybe struggling - we have to keep trying is the main thing and hopefully, one day, things click into place. It is wonderful to read people’s posts when that day arrives \:)/

I recently went past my 4 year anniversary and, as ever, just wanted to say thank you to Tobin, the mods and everyone posting who take the time to make this such a helpful, friendly and encouraging place. It has been a tremendous help to me (and continues to be) and i hope to be reading of others getting to where they want to be for years to come.

Thanks, Blifter
Hiya Blifter, so great to see you, many congratulations on your 4 years (::) <:)>
Very hard won I do know, all the best my friend x
Hi to Leslans and all this morning.
I'm good, cooking roast dinner and apple crumble today, anyone wanna come? 🤣😎
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 01 Dec 2019 11:26

Lush4life wrote:
01 Dec 2019 10:45
I'm good, cooking roast dinner and apple crumble today, anyone wanna come?
On me way ..........
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 01 Dec 2019 11:54

Congratulations Blifter!
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 01 Dec 2019 16:19

Yay Blifter ! \:)/ (::) <:)>

Always good to hear from you and fantastic on your four years AF ! xx

Did someone mention roast dinner and crumble ? Yes please :D
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 01 Dec 2019 16:57

Congratulations Blifter (::) ;)? !!
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Blifter

Post by Blifter » 01 Dec 2019 18:03

Thanks everyone.

A roast dinner sounds perfect, Lushie, brass monkeys out there today :shock:
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Post by fiz » 01 Dec 2019 18:24

Yeah Blifter. \:)/ 4 years (::) well done. ;)?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 01 Dec 2019 18:58

Blifter wrote:
01 Dec 2019 09:56
I recently went past my 4 year anniversary
My apologies for not noticing this earlier Blifter. Very hearty congratulations to you \:)/ (::)
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

joholdbrook
Last Drink Date: 07 Dec 2014

Post by joholdbrook » 01 Dec 2019 19:28

\:)/ \:)/ congratulations blifter 4 years is amazing

Five years fir me this weekend coming who would have thought they were dark days as many will remember
Wonder what happened to Shelsley does anyone no
Je suis prest

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 02 Dec 2019 04:17

\:)/
Good job, Blif!

Four years - so amazing!

:o ;)? <:)>

4 years 1/2 for me! We quit the same year!