Sober May

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Re: Sober October

Post by SoberBoots »

Hey Fresh, how are you doing? We're all here rooting for you <:)>
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

Thank you so much for all your support and suggestions on how to deal with anxiety, your kindness is more appreciated than you can begin to imagine.The meeting was every bit as grim as I'd expected it would be, but at least it's over now and I'm still sober.There's another one on the 20th which will be way more scary, but I can breathe for a while before then.

My dodgy ankle puts running and yoga off the list of possibilities but I like the idea of podcasts, I'll look into some of those.I remembered I used to do crosswords and word games for distraction but got out of the habit, so I'm going to treat myself to a crossword puzzle book and I've downloaded a word game on my Kindle.I bought my very first smart phone a few weeks ago, but it's very basic and the keyboard is so tiny a child would find it hard to type on.I have a new found understanding and respect for people who post here on their phones, it would take me an hour just to type my own name.

I know it's only Wednesday, but all the talk of puddings on here has me already planning what kind to treat myself to at the weekend.At the moment syrup sponge and treacle pudding are the front runners, but jam roly poly is fast gaining ground.

So another sober star for all of us, sleep well everyone and pleasant dreams.I suspect I may dream of puddings. 8-)

Johnnyb
Last Drink Date: 16 May 2021
First Sober Date: 17 May 2021

Post by Johnnyb »

Back again on Brighteye. ( forgot my password after a couple of years ) got my dates wrong so I have just finished day 10, day 1 and 2 were uncomfortable with shakes agitation and little or no sleep. Settled and calm now but had my first craving last night, I knew it would pass and it switched off as soon as the liquor store closed. Enjoying long sleeps and actually have been laughing for the first time in ages! Food intake has increased and the sweet tooth is very demanding. My brain is working really well and I am doing in one hour what I could not do in a day when I was drinking. Good luck everyone.
YOU NEVER STOP FAILING UNTIL YOU STOP TRYING ----- Albert Einstein

wapati3

Post by wapati3 »

Hello Johnnyb, congrats on 10 days. \:)/

I have been thinking about you Caroline and I was going to suggest yoga too, as Silvergirl did. Since that may not be an option, perhaps meditation. I have been doing some yoga, as well as, meditation exercises. Mediation has been challenging for my racing mind, but it is improving and is quite a release. Chamomile tea is also a close, dear friend of mine and enemy of my anxiety.

Thinking about you Fresh. <:)> <:)> <:)>

Hope all of the Octoberers are doing well. <:)> :D
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Morning

There is a strength on here isn't there PP. it's great to be a part of. I feel this thread has a real buzz of help, advice and support at the moment.

Caroline I'm glad you got through yesterday and survived without any alcoholic prop. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. The next meeting on the 20th shouldn't be so daunting now I hope, especially if you can get some stress busting coping mechanisms into place.

Day 12. Bring it on (though recently, day 12 has been my tripping point).
be selfish in your sobriety.

Johnnyb
Last Drink Date: 16 May 2021
First Sober Date: 17 May 2021

Post by Johnnyb »

Good morning all. Day 11, busy day ahead and an early start in morning. I may have cravings, I will just have to wait and see, but being busy should keep my on the sober road. Thanks for the support and advice. Keep committed to the road to soberiety everyone. Good luck.
YOU NEVER STOP FAILING UNTIL YOU STOP TRYING ----- Albert Einstein

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl »

Hope your day goes well Johnnyb. \:)/

How are you feeling today Caroline? <:)>

Your nemesis day 12 isn’t going to be a problem dannyd because I need you here on Saturday announcing week three. Nobody does it quite with your panache. (Am i the only one imagining those scantily clad laydeez in the boxing ring walking round and holding up signs to announce the number of the next round?! In my mind; that’s you. :D )

Where’s laurag? <:)>
And fresh? <:)>

Wotcher pink, fuzzy, thanks for the welcomes back. 8-)

I’m so happy because my art print for my first week sober treat arrived in the post and it’s fabulous. I’m going to frame it and put it up tonight I think, although I’m pretty exhausted and it’s only lunchtime so I may revise that plan later! Not long til we can all treat ourselves for with our week two soberoctover treat, tho best not to count chickens before they’ve hatched I suppose!

Keep on keeping on peeps. ;)?
Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

FuzzyDuck
Last Drink Date: 01 Oct 2013

Post by FuzzyDuck »

:\: Pink, Johnnyb and everyone.

Day 12 folks. I hope AF-ness is giving people some better sleeps and calmer days.

I have eaten less today but only because I had soup for tea. I will admit to KitKats plural.

Onwards and upwards xx
"Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right'. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." (used to be Bupster's sig - I have appropriated it)

AJH
Last Drink Date: 29 Apr 2021
First Sober Date: 06 May 2021

Post by AJH »

Evening all. Just checking in and out for today. I didn't post yesterday as was out for the day and overnight. I've posted elsewhere about events of yesterday so I won't repeat here but hoping I'm still allowed to keep posting here for the rest of October and beyond.
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

SG I've got my clothes off (not a pretty picture) and I'm parading. Day 12. DONE. Now I'm putting my clothes back on.....

AJH I've missed your other posts, but determination will help. Let's be determined to make it through until this time tomorrow.

Fuzzy I was at a cream tea today. There were 7/8 of us on the table. I think the others were sort of shamed into not eating. Not me. I even took home a doggy bag of petit cakes. And very nice they are were, with a cup of tea. Face a diet tomorrow.

JohnyB I hope you've skated over any cravings. They're all in the mind and are a bit like children. If you can distract, they go away and play with someone else.

G'night.

wapati3

Post by wapati3 »

DannyD wrote:They're all in the mind and are a bit like children. If you can distract, they go away and play with someone else.
:lol2: I do appreciate that DannyD :lol:

Another summer like temperature day here, but the magnificent kaleidoscope of color on the mountains was intensified by the bright, sunny day, so I will refrain from whining too much about the temperatures. Had the day off today, eye doctor's appointment, housework, canned the last of the garden fresh tomatoes (saved a few for a couple more tomato sandwiches though.......yummm), now for an evening walk with my husband and little furry ones. Then a bath while my husband prepares dinner (his idea) , after dinner off to bed to read.

Good night Silvergirl, DannyD, AJH, Fuzzy, Pink, JohnnyB, Caroline, Sally, Lush (thought I would attempt dear Silvergirl's roll call) and everyone, hopes for a blissful night's sleep.
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

Another stressy day here but I made it through sober.The thought of waking up with a hangover is still too awful to contemplate and things are rubbish enough at the moment without adding an extra layer on.

Enjoy your print SG, and well done Danny for not tripping up.Too many names to mention, but it's good the thread's so busy - here's to a restful night for all of us.Fresh, I hope you're ok - is AmyJean still around?

Sleep well soberoids. <:)>

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl »

Good lord, wapati, I completely missed you out! I do apologise! :oops: <:)> :lol:

Day 13 lovelies, up and at em. \:)/

Life is kind of odd at the moment. I don’t want to drink but events are making me feel somewhat discombobulated and out of sorts and this is likely to continue for several weeks. I’m trying hard to maintain boundaries (a new thing for me...) and remember that external events are just that - external - and should have no bearing on my internal state of mind and, amazingly, I am managing reasonably well I think. But I am tired and unenthusiastic this morning, and just a bit meh. I’ll be alright once I get going I suppose.

Ajh I had to stalk you round the forum to find out what you were talking about. :twisted: hope you’re feeling better today, notch it up to experience and stick with us for the rest of the month. <:)>

Love to all,
Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

silvergirl wrote: I don’t want to drink but events are making me feel somewhat discombobulated and out of sorts and this is likely to continue for several weeks.
I'm in much the same place SG, except mine is going to go on for at least 6 months or so and the end result will be my having to adjust to a much lower income and various other unpleasant circumstances.But all the worrying in the world won't change anything, only make it more difficult to cope with.I hope you feel a bit better as the day goes on, and for what it's worth you've cheered me up by using the word discombobulated.I love that word.

My old Samsung tablet died on me yesterday, perfect timing, so I'm going to see if the local computer whizkid can do anything to bring it back to life.It's wet and windy here again today, but I always feel better for getting out of the house so it's on with the waterproofs and bugger the weather.

I hope everyone is doing ok, a hug to Fresh whether you want one or not, and shields up for Friday my lovelies :D

wapati3

Post by wapati3 »

silvergirl wrote: But I am tired and unenthusiastic this morning, and just a bit meh.
I do not appreciate days like that SG, but at least they have grown fewer and much more far between and hopefully will for you. Changing thought patterns is a challenge in and of itself isn't it? The mind naturally attempts to revert to its old way of thinking and honestly, for me anyway, it is exhausting at times to stay on track. But absolutely worth it. It sounds as though you are doing well though, and that is a marvelous thing! :D

Caroline, I am sorry it is a difficult time for you, but glad you are maintaining your sobriety. Vent here all you need to and hopefully we can help you through. <:)>
Discombobulated is an excellent and amusing word isn't it? :lol:

At work today, same old stupidity is frustrating, but I choose to utilize my stubborn nature towards the good today.Pick up the slack of others, use it to make me a better person and employee, hum, sing, smile, laugh, and above all take the best possible care of our patients. :D It may be Friday the 13th, but it is still Friday :D

Happy Friday Mighty Sober Octoberers :D :D
C.S. Lewis

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Sliding in quickly before I tumble exhausted into bed.

Day 13. Tick.

See you in the morning.

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim »

I'm still in.

AJH

Post by AJH »

Day 13 done but obviously really it's only 12 for me. Can I borrow a day from September of August?
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Personally I'd count it as 12, but it's entirely up to you AJH. 12 + 1 day of experience?

Feeling very tired and groggy with lack of sleep. It's going to be a long day of this 'n' that.

AJH

Post by AJH »

Start of day 14 of October. Not my day 14, I'm 13.