Sober May

Maria
Last Drink Date: 17 Jan 2021
First Sober Date: 18 Jan 2021

Re: Sober June

Post by Maria »

It's a worry Freshie , We can only take 1 day at a time with this pandemic, things are better ;)?
Never stop trying... Never stop believing .. Never give up .. Your day will come !

fresh-start
Last Drink Date: 04 Mar 2022

Post by fresh-start »

That's it Maria, one day at a time. How are you doing? <:)>
#10 on the 2022 Challenge

Maria

Post by Maria »

<:)> to you too freshie , not having a good day , but haven't drunk and will pull myself out of it tomorrow
How is everyone else?
Never stop trying... Never stop believing .. Never give up .. Your day will come !

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Well done still posting Maria, keep your chin up lass! <:)>

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

Day 83
Quiet on this thread. Been reading some stuff about the amount of time being AF frees up and that one of the challenges of sobriety is finding ways to fill this time usefully. Also the emotional and mental health stuff that alcohol has been masking is all there to be dealt with. I am finding that the process of giving up alcohol becomes less about the substance and more about how you will reshape your life. No wonder if is so hard to stay AF for an extended period.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Absolutely right JayJay. Many people aren't prepared for this aspect so it's great you've identified it. Only part of getting sober is about stopping drinking. The other, and larger part is about developing a sober life. This means learning skills to cope with all the situations where you used to use drink to "cope", and developing new interests and connections. I really recommend building in some reflective time; for me it's gratitude practice, or it could be keeping a jounal, or meditation. And stay with it - it may seem daunting at times but it's also how you get the big rewards of sobriety. Have you visited the Road to Abstinence thread? Lots of good stuff there on this topic.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Maria

Post by Maria »

very quiet on here .. were nearly done on dry June .. keep on trucking all :\: (::)

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

Good points Boots. I need to get back to meditating every day. Really need that inner peace it brings. Even though my target is 2 years AF I'm really looking forward to 100 days. At least then I'll have reached the end of the beginning. (Or the beginning of the end of the beginning of....(

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: Sober July

Post by Topcat »

Well done to all who took part in Sober June (::)

Good luck for Sober July \:)/
#5 on the 2022 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Wilson
Last Drink Date: 24 Nov 2019

Post by Wilson »

Pig Inn 🐷

Jj123

Post by Jj123 »

Sober July in
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

I'm in. I started off lockdown well but the minute I got out from being with my mum, I bought a bottle of wine. I've been going to my own flat every week for about 6 weeks now and have drunk every time. I'm going to my flat today for 3 nights but I'm determined not to give in. What have I achieved by the drinking? Put on weight, got bad tempered, spent about £200 or more. I enjoyed some of the wine, I think. But it just made me sleep. And not a good quality sleep. I'm on day 6 so will keep it up and post later. We only have one body so we need to look after it. Our minds need a healthy body. And we need to look after our minds. Let's do this everyone! X
And I said to my body softly 'I want to be your friend'. It took a long sigh and said 'I've waited my whole life for this'

Wilson
Last Drink Date: 24 Nov 2019

Post by Wilson »

D1BCBBBD-C565-4F8E-89F6-CD233118C28F.jpeg
D1BCBBBD-C565-4F8E-89F6-CD233118C28F.jpeg (112.7 KiB) Viewed 5478 times

Rebecca
Last Drink Date: 24 May 2020
Instagram: @rdennis17

Post by Rebecca »

There you go, Wilson! Nice calendar, I still have a paper one too, I cannot seem to go completely digital with calendars. :D

I’m in too! \:)/
Sobriety is my Superpower

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Freshie's in! \:)/

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Newt wrote:
01 Jul 2020 16:03
Quick, hide your purse, she's on a shoe shopping spree :lol:
:D :D :D

debsuyar
Last Drink Date: 30 Apr 2016
First Sober Date: 03 Dec 2018

Post by debsuyar »

Count me in x
Ruin is the road to transformation....

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

I'm in for a dry July...91 days AF for me. Still get cravings most days around 5-6pm but they pass once I've eaten. After eating I get strong cravings for sugar rather than alcohol for a while. I am much slimmer and fitter though and I aim to keep going forwards until the daily craving recedes and alcohol becomes something I used to do. I know it can be done because I used to smoke and it is now unthinkable that I would ever smoke again. July will take me to 121 days which will be about 1/3 of a year. If I can do that then I can do the year. What keeps me going?...a desire to get really slim, fit and healthy again- you might call it vanity... and the times I have shown myself up seem to be at the front of my mind when I think about drinking. So shame and vanity are my motivation. Not the most noble of human emotions but if it works...

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Well done JJ. Wanting to look your best is good motivation. I also stopped smoking - in 2005. And would never think of smoking now. I've found alcohol much more difficult though. It is more socially acceptable and still seen as an enjoyable thing to do. Anyway, I am v pleased that I went to a supermarket on my way home and avoided the wine aisles. Well I was actually queueing right next to some bottles but was not tempted. Instead of pouring a large vino when I got back I hired a bike and cycled along the seafront. I don't cycle! I have never done that before but have seen people on the bikes. I've got it for 24 hours so will venture out again tomorrow. How exciting! 🚴 And no wine means no late night crisps/toast or anything I can find. Keep sober everyone. X
And I said to my body softly 'I want to be your friend'. It took a long sigh and said 'I've waited my whole life for this'

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

I love your post AmyJean. Hiring that bike is an indication of all the small positive changes that will happen when you stop drinking. Those little things add up to a happier, more fulfilling life. Over the last 91 days I too have cycled half a dozen times which I haven't done for years, I started running again and am up to 10k and weight has poured off me: I received a pair of 32 inch black jeans today and they fit me easily. I haven't had a 32 inch waist for a long time. But more importantly I feel a sense of possibility whereas my drinking days had become predictable and based around drinking every evening and being groggy every morning. I don't ever want to feel like I did those days. RHCP