Great to tick off milestones
here I am again.... the best place to be

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Re: Sober July

Post by SoberBoots »

Jayjay wrote:
10 Jul 2020 08:24
100 days AF for me today. I will celebrate with a diet coke and look forward to the next 100. ;)?
Yay you! \:)/
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

martha

Post by martha »

Jayjay wrote:
10 Jul 2020 08:24
100 days AF for me today. I will celebrate with a diet coke and look forward to the next 100. ;)?
Congratulations Jayjay! \:)/
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Congratulations JJ! Well done.
I'm doing fine. A couple of weeks under my belt now and I feel I've broken the destructive yo-yoing for now. Feeling much better.
Making nutritious food. For lunch I had homemade felafal, lamb meatballs, pea shoots, spinach, beetroot, tomato, basil, homemade pesto... And last night I made a porridge 'bread' - just porridge oats, Greek yogurt, bicarb,egg, salt. I also added sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and olives. Surprisingly good.
I just spoke to a dear friend who has managed to relocate to the UK from South Africa. It's her birthday today and we met at school 51 years ago. That's a long time!! Yesterday I spoke to friend I met the year before - in 1968. And then had coffee with a friend from uni who I met in 1977. And I've just had a call from an old boyfriend who I went out with in 1982. What's going on?? Ha ha. Anyway my spirits are lifted. The sun is shining. Life is better without alcohol in it. Keep going everyone. X
And I said to my body softly 'I want to be your friend'. It took a long sigh and said 'I've waited my whole life for this'

Trina
Last Drink Date: 09 Sep 2020

Post by Trina »

Just going to jump in here and comment! I too have been in touch with old friends who I normally don't talk to often - now regularly emailing my high school group from 1969! It's fascinating to see how our lives have diverged. I think in our case it's that the Corona virus has given us something in common, no matter how different our lives might be. Anyway, talking with these friends has really helped me.

I'm new to the dry July thread, but my last drink was on June 15, so I guess I qualify!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Trina
Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town -- George Carlin

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Well done Trina! That's a whole month now for you.
I'm still on track. Going to be on my own for 4 nights but I'm not going to drink. I'm enjoying being sober too much.
Hope everyone is doing fine. Here's to a dry July - unlike the weather here! X
And I said to my body softly 'I want to be your friend'. It took a long sigh and said 'I've waited my whole life for this'

Rebecca
Last Drink Date: 24 May 2020
Instagram: @rdennis17

Post by Rebecca »

Hi and well done everyone! :\:

I’m still going strong too.
Sobriety is my Superpower

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

Good to see everyone doing well. The dreadful weather is starting to drag my mood downwards.I've been doing ok with the limitations of lockdown but endless wet and windy weather in July feels like someone is playing a bad joke. I've started to call this month Juvember as it feels more like November. I know I've just got to ride out these periods where it feels like there is nothing to look forward to and things will feel better. A few months ago I would have been drinking a lot to keep these moods away so I'll have to find an alternative. A good night's sleep and plenty of exercise tommorrow for a start.

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

I went to have coffee with a friend in her garden and she was enthusing about the lovely weather. Well, I don't think it has been lovely weather. Windy, wet, cold. Anyway I just agreed. Sometimes the sun pops out but not for long.
I'm in Scotland. Not renowned for good weather.
Hope you feel better after your sleep and exercise JJ. I've been sleeping well but hardly done any exercise recently.
But eating well and not drinking so I'm happy. 😆

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

110 days AF. Quiet on this thread atm.Hope everyones quietly totting up their July days. Sun's back at last :lol: . Been on a long, slow run this morning and having a walk along the beach with OH this afternoon.

Trina
Last Drink Date: 09 Sep 2020

Post by Trina »

Jayjay, 110 days is amazing!

I'm powering through dry July - day 35 today - and looking forward to an equally dry August.

During the lockdown my drinking had really crept up, and it is such a relief to have stopped. No more wondering if I have enough wine, thinking about when I can start drinking, feeling bad the next day, etc. And I have far less anxiety, even in these anxious times.

Have a great day, everyone.

Trina
Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town -- George Carlin

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Hi folks. Yes, quiet on here. I hope everyone doing well. Well done JJ and Trina. It is 28 days for me - 4 weeks. Friend coming to stay on 5th August. So that is danger for me. She would not encourage me to drink but I would use her visit as an excuse. Anyway, I am well on track for a dry July. No danger of me drinking. Life feels much less anxious. Like you, Trina, I'm not wondering when I can drink, how much etc. No buying a bottle then having to run out for another before the shop closes. Then clanking to the bottle bank. Only jars in my glass recycling. And no munching crisps, biscuits and cheese late at night. I'm reading a book about the physical damage alcohol does. Not easy reading. But when I'm not drinking, I feel like I've undone all the damage. I'm sure I haven't. But I don't think I've got any permanent physical damage. But who knows. On that note....I'm off to bed to read. Another joy of sobriety!

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

115 days
Amy Jean and Trina - you both sound like you're doing well. I'm very up and down atm.Previously I would have been drinking to block out the uncertainty around everything. I'm glad I'm not drinking but the uncertainty remains and I'm having some grey days where I feel a bit down and am too easily irritated and am craving ...some fun I suppose. It makes me realise that a lot of my drinking was to try and improve my mood. Now I need to find new ways.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Worth reading up about PAWS JayJay.
You're spot on - alcohol stunts us emotionally, and when we stop drinking we have to start growing again. It's really worth getting into meditation, relaxation, journalling - for me, gratitude practice has been transformational.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

Hi Sal
I'd definitely benefit from those things. Meditation has really worked for me in the past and I need to build in a daily session again. Feel good today though- been walking with friends and then watching football. My running programme has really ramped up and I'm supposed to be doing 9 miles (15k) next which seems a long way. If I'm not rained off I've got my route planned for tommorrow.☔

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Keep up the exercise JJ. Nothing better for mood. Not that I've been doing much exercise myself. Alcohol only lifts mood temporarily. As we all know. I have never had such low moods as I did after drinking. So I want to avoid the return of those.
Sometimes I thought I'd never emerge from them. But I did.
Stay safe and sober folks. X

Rebecca
Last Drink Date: 24 May 2020
Instagram: @rdennis17

Post by Rebecca »

I’ve felt the same way before, AmyJean. The darkest, saddest, most depressing moods I’ve ever been in. No thanks, not anymore. I’m still going AF and feeling great for July! Well done to us all! \:)/
Sobriety is my Superpower

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

How's everyone doing? Almost the end of July. So I hope everyone is still going strong? I had some permission thoughts I have to say. That stupid idea that a cold beer, a g&t or a glass of wine would be fine. Yes one would be absolutely fine. But I never ever only have one.
I did a bit of exploring today. Found the entrance to a cemetery near where I live. Can't believe I've never been before! Not that I frequent cemeteries much. And hired a bike. Went to the seaside and had an ice-cream. A trashy expensive ice cream which I am sure contained zero cream. It was fake sugary rubbish. But I still ate it. Still better than drinking I suppose 😂

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

Well tomorrow I will have done dry July and been AF for 120 days. Been a very up and down journey but I'm hoping I'll hit another good patch soon. Hope you're still going strong Amy Jean, Trina and all. I'll see you all in August. :\:

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Hi JJ. Well done! I hope your mood lifts again soon. It will. Moods are like the weather so the sun will come out again. I'm only about 35 days or something this time. I didn't have any alcohol for the first 2 months of lockdown.
Anyway, hope lots of you are still keeping sober even if you're not posting.