Sober April

Rebecca
Last Drink Date: 24 May 2020

Re: Sober July

Post by Rebecca »

There you go, Wilson! Nice calendar, I still have a paper one too, I cannot seem to go completely digital with calendars. :D

I’m in too! \:)/
Addiction is giving up everything for one thing.
Recovery is giving up one thing for everything.

fresh-start
Last Drink Date: 18 Mar 2021

Post by fresh-start »

Freshie's in! \:)/
#10 on the 2020 Challenge

fresh-start
Last Drink Date: 18 Mar 2021

Post by fresh-start »

Newt wrote:
01 Jul 2020 16:03
Quick, hide your purse, she's on a shoe shopping spree :lol:
:D :D :D
#10 on the 2020 Challenge

debsuyar
Last Drink Date: 30 Apr 2016
First Sober Date: 03 Dec 2018

Post by debsuyar »

Count me in x
Ruin is the road to transformation....

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

I'm in for a dry July...91 days AF for me. Still get cravings most days around 5-6pm but they pass once I've eaten. After eating I get strong cravings for sugar rather than alcohol for a while. I am much slimmer and fitter though and I aim to keep going forwards until the daily craving recedes and alcohol becomes something I used to do. I know it can be done because I used to smoke and it is now unthinkable that I would ever smoke again. July will take me to 121 days which will be about 1/3 of a year. If I can do that then I can do the year. What keeps me going?...a desire to get really slim, fit and healthy again- you might call it vanity... and the times I have shown myself up seem to be at the front of my mind when I think about drinking. So shame and vanity are my motivation. Not the most noble of human emotions but if it works...

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Well done JJ. Wanting to look your best is good motivation. I also stopped smoking - in 2005. And would never think of smoking now. I've found alcohol much more difficult though. It is more socially acceptable and still seen as an enjoyable thing to do. Anyway, I am v pleased that I went to a supermarket on my way home and avoided the wine aisles. Well I was actually queueing right next to some bottles but was not tempted. Instead of pouring a large vino when I got back I hired a bike and cycled along the seafront. I don't cycle! I have never done that before but have seen people on the bikes. I've got it for 24 hours so will venture out again tomorrow. How exciting! 🚴 And no wine means no late night crisps/toast or anything I can find. Keep sober everyone. X
And I said to my body softly 'I want to be your friend'. It took a long sigh and said 'I've waited my whole life for this'

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

I love your post AmyJean. Hiring that bike is an indication of all the small positive changes that will happen when you stop drinking. Those little things add up to a happier, more fulfilling life. Over the last 91 days I too have cycled half a dozen times which I haven't done for years, I started running again and am up to 10k and weight has poured off me: I received a pair of 32 inch black jeans today and they fit me easily. I haven't had a 32 inch waist for a long time. But more importantly I feel a sense of possibility whereas my drinking days had become predictable and based around drinking every evening and being groggy every morning. I don't ever want to feel like I did those days. RHCP

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

There is no doubt that drinking robs us of our health and time. I've wasted so many hours/days through alcohol. It robs us of our energy and our mental health.
I feel so much better and hope I have broken the destructive habit of drinking as soon as I get a night on my own.
I went for another cycle this morning. Not quite as successful as yesterday. I lost the cycle path and ended up in road works. Not v scenic. And I was definitely feeling a bit tender - saddle sore - from yesterday! 😆
And I said to my body softly 'I want to be your friend'. It took a long sigh and said 'I've waited my whole life for this'

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

Yes cycling can be a pain in the a*** I've loved getting on a bike again but my bum gets so sore! can I ask you a question Amy- Why are you green and topless? I'm guessing you are into yoga or meditation. I've got one run to go on my 12 week plan so been looking for the next step for my running. I was press ganged into signing up for a 23 mile charity walk with my old workmates a while ago which is now taking place at the end of September. I've found a 12 week plan which takes me from 10k to a marathon. The idea being that I'll run the challenge. I'm in my 50s and have spent too much of my life drinking so it'll be more of a shuffle than a run but I'm actually excited by the possibility. There's that word again-possibility.Anyway green one keep up the cycling. <:)>

Wilson
Last Drink Date: 24 Nov 2019

Post by Wilson »

BB524FF5-325E-48C5-AFEA-E26FB3966DF7.jpeg
BB524FF5-325E-48C5-AFEA-E26FB3966DF7.jpeg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Morning peeps.

I discover- with some surprise - that I qualify to post on this thread. I haven't had a drink for ALL of July this year. A completely dry July. Chocolate is my downfall of course, but I've upped my daily steps from around a lazy 2,000 to a perfectly acceptable 10,000. My legs ache, but I feel as though I'm walking off the chocolate.

Jay jay your exercise plan sounds good. I don't think I could do the running thing - too many unsupported jiggly bits (Think sumo wrestler trying to move at speed.) but I am trying to walk. Not really power walking, but any walking is good to start, right?

Amy Jean, now you're back on your bike, you'll have to buy your own.
be selfish in your sobriety.

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

Hi everyone. Green Tara. Om tare tutare ture soha. No idea what it means but it sounds good! I'm not a Buddhist but have been to a few retreats. In fact I was booked on a 3 day retreat last weekend led by George Best's former girlfriend. Now a nun. It was cancelled of course.
I will not be buying a bike while I live in a third floor flat. And until I get a bit fitter I have v limited routes. Can't go uphill 😆. Even the slightest inclination means I have to dismount. My neighbour bought an electric bike recently.
I've completed a full week alcohol free thank goodness. Well done folks! Let's keep this up!

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

Well done on your 10000 steps Danny. Daily walking has been a lifesaver for me over the last few years. I always feel better after a walk.
Not sure how you can have a bike if you live in the third floor Amy. Is there a lift? Is there somewhere else to store it? You sound like my wife about going up hills on a bike-she hates hills. Sample conversation on bike ride...her 'I thought you said there weren't anymore hills.
Me 'That's not a hill. It's an undulation '
her ' It looks like a f**king hill to me'.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I used to live in Norfolk, and went on a sixth form geography trip to Scotland. Where there favourite joke was that the biggest hill in Norfolk was a hole in the road.

Not sure about the security of a bike when you're on the third floor.

Just scraped in to eating a sandwich. Still with you here!

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean »

I don't have a bike. I hired it for 24 hours. I live in a tenement flat. No lift. Lots of people have bikes and leave them in the stairwell. My neighbour just bought an electric one. Too much hassle for me. I'm too old for that malarkey. Apart from the hills, I'm too scared of traffic. But I might try another cycle ride on the paths once the sun returns.
I'm v pleased to have completed 3 nights on my own with no booze. Still fell asleep on the sofa last night but very glad it was not alcohol induced😌

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

My uncle was a fantastic club runner. It was the most important thing in his life excepting family. 10 years ago he had some major health issues - heart bypass and cancer -and came out the other side. But he didn't go back to running because he couldn't compete anymore and couldn't face plodding around with the also-rans. He felt he was too old for that malarkey. He has put on a lot of weight and looks a bit lost and when I see him I always think what a shame that he didn't just go back and run for the joy of it.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Jay jay that's really sad. I wish I could run. Knees just won't hack it. This afternoon I was returning to a car park after a 5 K hike up (and down) a mountain. As I passed her, this strange lady (she wasn't strange - simply unknown to me. So, she might be strange of course....) said "my word, well done. I wonder you're not more slim." Really not sure what my reply should have been....

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay »

I think you gave her what her comments deserved- no reply. Keep walking ;)?

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

We did laugh. I expect she realised afterwards, that although she meant to be admiring and complimentary - it was really rather rude!

Off for another long hike today (anything over 1 mile is a long hike for me). We're walking with a 3 year old, and an under 2. They can cope (they get carried!). I just struggle. But it is getting easier I think. I'm not panting and puffing so much.

Only 5 days in. Feels like forever since I've had a drink, but it's not been that long. One day at a time.

Wilson
Last Drink Date: 24 Nov 2019

Post by Wilson »

Maybe a bmx for the downhill parts?
0ACA1728-8A02-4EB5-B96B-EBE855307407.gif
0ACA1728-8A02-4EB5-B96B-EBE855307407.gif (772.22 KiB) Viewed 1285 times