Sober April

fresh-start
Last Drink Date: 18 Mar 2021

Re: Sober October

Post by fresh-start »

Afternoon all

Got my act together and on day 3. Feel so much better already. Was great to have a sober cup of tea this morning!

So I will just have to count sober days in October as I have drank on 7 days of the month. So currently on 7 days AF.

Lots of goodies in for tonight's telly watching! Will light my candles and get all cosy, even though its 18c outside!! Not a nice 18c though, overcast and windy.

Edit, just read back the last couple of pages and thanks so much to everybody who was looking out for me. Means a lot! <:)>

x
#10 on the 2020 Challenge

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim »

AJH wrote:Start of day 14 of October. Not my day 14, I'm 13.
None of my business, I know; but if the fact that you are a day 'behind' is bothering you, just count it in, and (as you say) borrow one from last month?

In the end, this is not a contest - we are in this together, but what matters to our individual health and well being is our individual journeys. I started my journey at the end of August, and racked up 15 days before going on a short break and drinking (planned) wine in the evenings. When I got back, I started again at day 16, so I'm not counting the lapsed days, but neither am I discounting the ones before, as they were hard won.

I would just do what works for you, AJH, and what is more likely to spur you on to success. If you tell yourself that you are never going to 'crack' October, it may work against you, and that would be a shame.

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Yes I'm with Sue AJH. Whatever works best for your mindset. In a few weeks time it won't matter anyway when you have more AF days under your belt.

xx

AJH

Post by AJH »

Thank you SueDenim and Fresh-start and DannyD.

Just wanted to follow any etiquette on this type of thread. Don't want to be thought of as a cheat or fibbing to myself. I know exactly what I've done and why. I know that I won't have completed the whole of October but that's ok for this one day. My advice or view to others who seem to think they can't carry on posting on a thread is always that they should which is why I'm still posting. Just wasn't sure on the counting bit. For ease I'll just post the same day as everyone else. You're right, in time it won't matter and I've previously posted about my other two occasions of having a drink/drinking within my 4 and a half months. I'm still pretty pleased with myself given what I was doing for the last few years and although Wednesday was mad, it absolutely wasn't an excuse to drink that made me make the decision. It was complicated when it didn't need to be but this is what I felt was a calculated risk that I won't have to take next time in the same situation because I will have come clean by then. Sorry if that sounds cryptic, but it is the shorter version......i'd be hear all day if I went through the whole scenario! Anyway, thank you. ;)?
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

AJH

Post by AJH »

Thank you Pork. :)
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl »

Indeed, splendid mindset, I quite like the 13/1 way of counting as it’s an acknowledgment of the day drinking but isn’t berating yourself needlessly and having unnecessary histrionics about the rest of the month. It happened, draw a line and of course stay here. <:)>

Hello everyone :\:

I got out of my meh mood the other day by thinking of things to be grateful for. There was a long list. I’ve had a busy day what with one thing and another, but everything went well and as it was supposed to I think so it’s all good. \:)/

Wotcher fresh start, suedenim, <:)>

Hope you’re managing to stay awake Danny. <:)>

Caroline, are you safely tucked up with this weeks sober treats? <:)>

Wapati I am tremendously impressed that you do home canning - this might be a stupid question but is it actual tins you use rather than glass jars? Ta! :D

Love to all,
Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

Evening all, good to have you back Fresh.It's a sober Saturday with Strictly here :D

I was a bit sad today for a while.Over the last few years I've stopped spending time with all my heavy drinking friends and mostly lost contact.The one I did still see up until a few months ago had a birthday today, so I sent him a card and a text this morning just to say happy birthday.There's been no reply to either, so I guess another one bites the dust.

A part of me couldn't help feeling hurt and wondering how come I used to have friends galore and now have hardly any.But then the ones I do have these days are happy to spend time with me without booze being essential.Plus, if someone took the time to remember my birthday and send a card I wouldn't dream of not saying thank you.So I haven't really lost much.

Then I bumped into a couple of people in town and we went to a new cafe that had the most fabulous home baked cakes and scones.It was a lovely and unexpected treat, so all's well that ends well.I've just watched Strictly, and have cream cake and Netflix for later.Best of all I won't have a hangover tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a good evening - we're almost halfway through Sober October, imagine that. 8-)

*Crossed posts SG, glad you're ok.I'm also curious about the canning procedure Wapati, you need to educate us - include diagrams if possible.No pressure.

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Yay. I'm making day 14. That's recently my personal best. It can only get better. Long ole day, but I have a treat: out of date, cheap trifle and chocolate pots. I am getting so Rubunesque.....face that on Monday. Everyone knows diets start on Mondays.

Caroline, bumping unexpectedly into friends who take you to places that have fresh home made cakes, is much better than friends who take you to dens of drunken debauchery (not sure what debauchery is, but I like the iliteration).

Well done on picking yourself up again Fresh. It's so hard to start stopping isn't it?

AJH. I like the 13:1 idea. Sounds good to me. And that ratio can get better and better, until it's 30:1 at the end of the month.

Started work at 8.45 this morning, finished at a nice early 9.20 this evening. In between I've worked two of my day job shifts, practised with a soloist then played for a wedding and arrived late - in time for birthday cake, at an 80th birthday tea. This last week I've eaten three different teas (have to say, the funeral tea on Wednesday was the best...).

Bed with the iPad, and Strictly on catch up.

Rock and roll or what. G'night.
be selfish in your sobriety.

AJH

Post by AJH »

14th done.

wapati3

`

Post by wapati3 »

We have approached the halfway mark everyone. (::)

Silvegirl and Caroline, I am contemplating the most efficient explanation of the canning process I use. My Mother and her family were not a "country" family, so I was not exposed to this process growing up. My husband's Mother was from a rather poor farming family of 18 children :shock:. She is the dear that has shared her canning and gardening secrets.

Silvergirl, I have gone to a local cannery before and there used tin cans. We usually do it at home though, with glass jars. Food, such as tomatoes are peeled, cut into pieces, and stuffed into the jars. After adding some salt, I ensure the rim is clean, place on a new lid and then loosely put on the ring that holds the lid. The jars are then placed into a canner, which is a large, deep pot with water brought to a boil. They are processed for 10 minutes, removed, rings tightened and then they seal as they cool. Once you hear the popping sound, you know you have had success. The acidity of tomatoes allows use of a simple canner, foods, such as meat or even green beans have to be processed in a pressure canner, but I won't go into that, not only to avoid boring you anymore, but because I am new to it myself.

My husband and I both wanted to be capable of continuing these types of, I suppose I could say traditions, as it seems as though it is slowly becoming more rare (although many people still do this within the Appalachians) We are interested in the gathering and preservation of wild foods as well, still much to learn. Mainly mushrooms so far. :)

Canning 101, Lesson 1 :lol:

I am happy to be going through this sober month with all of you. Hopes that the weekend has been and will continue to be good to you <:)>
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

wapati3

Post by wapati3 »

Forgive me Fresh, I meant to say this before...... So very good to have you here with us. :D <:)>
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending-
C.S. Lewis

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl »

Morning all, I’ve had the most fantastic sleep. \:)/

Wapati, thanks so much for that. I did a food preservation course a long time ago and was surprised to learn that fruit etc goes in to the can fresh and it’s the cooking of the closed can which also cooks the contents, so when one buys a can of peaches or pears and they are nice and soft they weren’t like that when they went in. Also - 18 children?! :shock: :o :o :o :o :?

Hope everyone is up an at em for day 15! Ding! Ding! Week 3!

Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Thanks Wapati!!

Afternoon all.

Was a bit tetchy last night and found it hard to relax for a while. Ate a pavlova and some M&S bubbly Santas but still couldn't get rid of the unrest. :D

Anyway today I feel good. Got a curtain pole put up that's been one of those jobs that's been put off for months. Put a voile up that matches the bedding in the spare room and looks lovely. Feel quite pleased that it looks good but hasn't cost me anything as had them for ages but just not had the motivation to put them up. Also made a couple of shepherds pies for in the week.

Out with the family tonight for an indian. I will not be drinking, just looking forward to a catch up with close family and lovely Bangladeshi food!

"Most" of the time I am happier without drink.

x

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

That sounds like a really good day Fresh, enjoy your curry!

I have that low level Sunday night anxiety that comes with knowing the week ahead is going to be a tough one.Once the meeting on Friday is over I can breathe a bit easier for at least a couple of weeks, hopefully.I need to make sure I plan a substantial number of treats for the weekend so I don't fall into the trap of 'reward' drinking.Despite knowing that wine is a depressant to me now and definitely not a reward in any way, shape or form, the illusion still lingers.

I'm chuffed that I've got into the habit of doing a crossword puzzle every day and discovered archive episodes of Desert Island Discs on podcast.Both are quite soothing and distract me from the constant fretting about things I can't do anything about.Kirsty Young's voice is so calming it should be on prescription.

So we're all still here and into the second half of the challenge.I think that warrants a modest round of applause - well done each and every one of us. (::)

AJH

Post by AJH »

15th done.

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Day 16? Wow? Who'd have thunk it.

Come on everyone. Half way mark is behind us. We can do this. (::)

Caroline whatever is causing your anxiety, at least you know it's not alcohol fueled. Well done, keep going.

Fresh, stick with the soberoctober ites. Just one more day at a time.

Pork we're on to day 16

SG. Keep on keeping on.

AJH hang in there with us.

Wapati thanks for all your support.

(::) (::)

fresh-start

Post by fresh-start »

Afternoon all

Yes, Danny, still very much sticking to day to day. If I think about Christmas and whether I will drink or not it upskittles me.

Had a nice day really, caught up with Strictly and a walk in the park with sister and friend and was talking to a reporter off our local BBC News in the park so I may be on the telly lol!!

Caroline, how is your low level anxiety doing? Its horrible when something is looming like that.

x

wapati3

Post by wapati3 »

fresh-start wrote:I may be on the telly lol!!
A star in our mist! Sounds as though you have had an enjoyable day Fresh.... good to hear.

Sending hugs AJH and Caroline.

SG, I would love to be a part of a food preservation class! I have not ever seen one offered in my area. I have been to a wild foods class, enjoyed it and learned a few things as well. :)

Hello Pork 8-) and DannyD. :\: Hooray......over half way \:)/

Hopes for a good evening and blissful night's sleep. :D
C.S. Lewis

DannyD

Post by DannyD »

I'm really zonked after all the hours I worked since Thursday. Then this afternoon found myself unexpectedly babysitting my grand daughter. It went ok, but it was exhausting. Driving home, I was briefly tempted - and then the car started misfiring and I was distracted. I'm home now, eaten ice cream, raspberries, yoghurt - healthy stuff - and the craving has faded. Plan B then, an early night.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

Thank you for the hugs and sympathy, much appreciated.I found out this morning that the person who was supposed to take me to the meeting on Friday thought she was just seeing me there.So I spent all afternoon in a panic trying to organise a lift - managed it in the end but my nerves are like a bag of Frazzles.One day down, four to go.

The weather is a bit scary at the moment, Hurricane Ophelia is making it's way here from Ireland.As distractions go, this is quite a good one - all I need now is a power cut to make my day complete.Luckily I have plenty of candles and chocolate, so the essentials are covered.

Fresh, are you going to be a local celebrity then?I love the word upskittles by the way, never heard it before.

I hope everyone has a peaceful evening, and a safe one <:)>