Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Sober December

wapati3
Last Drink Date: 20 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 21 Aug 2017

Re: Sober October

Post by wapati3 » 05 Oct 2017 15:58

Hello everyone. Another cool, sunny autumn morning. Hoping for rain soon, desperately need the rain.

Wishing everyone the best throughout the weekend. It is Friday for me, long weekend this week :) . I have lots to do, both for necessity and fun/relaxation.So much better sober :D

As far as the sweets, I am grateful I have hiking in the weekend plans, because I also have baking and making preserves planned. It is required that I taste test, wouldn't want to share anything that was less than scrumptious, that is just the type of kind hearted person I am.
;) :?
Everything is a bit brighter when you are not lost in the fog

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 05 Oct 2017 18:38

Evening all.The weather has been a bit better today so I've been for a walk on the beach and pottered about in the garden - also done a pile of laundry, so all in all a quite productive day for a change.No thoughts of drinking other than remembering how ill it's made me feel every day this week.

I managed to lose quite a bit of weight over the summer, still have a way to go but for now I don't much care what I eat just as long as I don't drink.Saturday nights with Strictly and wine have been my downfall lately, so I'm planning to make sure I eat early and have a big fat cream cake as a treat instead.The very thought of waking up on Sunday with a raging hangover makes my stomach churn.Fresh, I smiled at the thought of you starting in on your Xmas chocolate stash early.I've been stockpiling M+S Belgian chocolate truffles for Xmas because they were half-price but I'll be surprised if there's any left by December.

I'm still feeling horribly anxious a lot of the time, but doing a bit of gardening today helped a lot.Things like reading and watching tv haven't relaxed or distracted me lately as well as they usually do, but the gardening was somehow soothing.It was so nice to be out in the fresh air after being cooped up indoors all week, fingers crossed we get a dry weekend, both weather-wise and drink-wise.

Wishing everyone a peaceful evening and a good night's rest <:)>

LauraG

Post by LauraG » 05 Oct 2017 19:04

Good to hear you have been out for some fresh air Caroline (::) It really can make the world of difference can't it.

I'm showered and all wrapped up in my nightgown ready for some tv and reading at 8pm. These autumn nights are making it so much easier to stay sober. Not sure whether that will be the case tomorrow and saturday but i won't be drinking either way.

Strength and peace to all <:)>

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-2030
First Sober Date: 0- 0-2030

Post by DannyD » 05 Oct 2017 19:58

Wapiti I'm overawed at your thoughtful generosity. Not only baking, but taste testing. That goes beyond.

Tired, joining you in jim jams in front of the tv Laura. Probably not for long though, as I quite like the idea of bed.

Caroline a lovely sea walk will be good for recovery. I've staggered round (with the dog) on hungover mornings. Walks are much more enjoyable when I'm actually in a state to enjoy them.

Knitting a bit, then I'll be done.

G'night all sober Octobers.
be selfish in your sobriety.

AJH

Post by AJH » 05 Oct 2017 23:13

Day 5...done! \:)/
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

LauraG

Post by LauraG » 06 Oct 2017 07:42

Clear, crisp october morning here (::)

Mood is good. Feeling bright and well rested. Must make plans for the weekend. Children are going away so must keep busy. There is plenty to do mind you but i think commiting it to a proper list will give me more focus ;)?

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 06 Oct 2017 08:07

What’s the date’. Yay. 5 days done. Facing day 6 with cautious optimism.

Laura making plans is a good idea. I’m even thinking about looking at jigsaws. It can go on the table when i’ve cleared away my last unfinished project....

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 06 Oct 2017 11:30

Mornink all. <:)>

Plans is good I guess, certainly better than winging it an being unprepared, what is it they say about ‘failure to prepare is preparing to fail’ and I can’t count the number of times I’ve had good intentions but have been tripped up by the dreaded weekend because I haven’t really had any strategies in place so that I don’t drink. Breaking it down in to one moment of time after another rather than a whole entity can be helpful I find, whether your timescales are minutes (ten at a time 8-) ) hours, evenings, days is entirely up to you.

My fraught day turned out alright and I think I might be quite busy this weekend so will try to remember to just keep breathing and everything will turn out okay in the end. That’s one theory, anyway! :D

Hi to pickles, nice to see you, hope you’re doing okay. <:)>

Love to all,
Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 06 Oct 2017 13:20

Hello Octoberers :\:

Another beautiful day. :)
My husband and I have the day off. Taking my mother-in-law ( it's ok, mine is pleasant to be with)
She doesn't get out and about much and requested"sight seeing" and a bit of shopping.
Mums and pumpkins for me today :D

Wishing everyone a wonderful Friday.

AJH

Post by AJH » 06 Oct 2017 21:54

Day 6...complete. Lovely. \:)/
Spotted Dick, butter and brown muscovado sugar. Gypsy Tart. Butterfly Buns. Just like your Nan used to make.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 06 Oct 2017 23:12

So that's Friday done and dusted, I've got plans in place for tomorrow, so I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about completing the first week of the challenge.

Shields up for the weekend fellow soberoids. :D

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 06 Oct 2017 23:34

Almost in bed, and still sober. Day 6, tick.

Well done to all of us. (::) (::)

LauraG

Post by LauraG » 07 Oct 2017 10:58

:\:

We are on our 7th day! It's been fairly easy for me. The AV has chimed in most days but she hasnt been screaming at me this week which is refreshing. I am not complacent though. I know how it can creep up at any time.

It's a grey and blustery autumn day here. I need to go out but may leave it until tomorrow. We'll see. Missing the kids like mad and they only went last night :roll: Not an excuse to drink though Laura. Be the best mum i can be for when they return tomorrow ;)?

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 07 Oct 2017 12:29

:\: Hello everyone

Laura, I understand your plight. Our Son is an adult and I still miss him constantly. I hope you can enjoy your weekend and spend some time spoiling yourself a bit.

Hope you are feeling fine DannyD :)

Take care all :)

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 07 Oct 2017 13:30

Well done on Friday night guys, we totally rock. \:)/

Laura, I think wapati is right, this is a marvellous opportunity to focus on you and give yourself a bit of a pampering while your kids are away and then when they get back you’re fully engaged and ready to parent like a boss! Can you get yourself something that you wouldn’t otherwise have got, it needn’t be hugely expensive, in fact it needn’t cost any money at all, take a long bath, watch a movie etc but something, and tell yourself I am doing this because i’m Amazing and stayed sober for a week. Go me!

In fact, now that I think of it I reckon everyone should get themselves a sober treat over the weekend! Looking forward to hearing everyone’s ideas! :)

Danny, Caroline, AJH, Pink et al, I hope you have a fabulous Saturday. I’m later to get going than I had hoped and have a headache but it’s all good, my plans are fairly flexible.

Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 07 Oct 2017 18:40

I had been long term sober until my daughter left home. Not an excuse, but a reason. I'm finally trying to string together more than 2 weeks. Sober October is my time. We're all going to do this month, right?

I've been at an adventure park all day. I went on some rides and screamed a lot. I got very wet from the water ride, and because my mango drink spilt in my back pack. At least I smell quite exotic. I'm home now, feeling sunburnt and exhausted. I suspect I'll struggle to stay awake long enough to have an early night.

Day 7 TICK. Well done y'all. Kicking and screaming, we've done the week. I'm drinking (tea) to the next one. Stick with us everyone. (::) (::)

AJH

Post by AJH » 07 Oct 2017 19:26

Sunburnt Danny? It's been rainy and overcast today. My treat was a bacon sandwich in freshly cut uncut fresh bread! Lovely...sorry again Pork! My treat this evening and I'm enjoying it now is a Coke. I love Coke. Don't know why I ever exchanged it for wine! I suspect I shall have chocolate tonight as well. That'll be me treated out! Oh extra treat will be a Poirot or a Miss Marple. David Suchet or Geraldine McEwan. Love them both. She is the very best Marple.

Day 7 nearly done. Well done everyone. We're doing great.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 07 Oct 2017 19:27

Evening everyone.I haven't had a sober Saturday since the end of August, having convinced myself that drinking once a week would be ok as long as I just kept it to one bottle of wine.I had no problem sticking to the once a week part, but one bottle was never going to work, hence the sorry state I got myself into this time last week.

I've been out walking, meeting a friend for coffee, calling in at the library and feeling so glad just to be out and about after almost a week of barely leaving the house.I had a few fleeting thoughts of buying 'just the one' but it wasn't difficult to remind myself how insane that would be.I'm home safe now with nothing more than fizzy water in the fridge.

Silvergirl (my Kindle keeps correcting your name to Silverware), my weekend treats are a fresh cream donut from the local bakery and a scented candle.I think weekend treats should be obligatory throughout the month of October.

Laura, you'll be so glad to see your children tomorrow and enjoy having fun with them without the fog of a hangover.

I hope everybody is having a good night, we're very nearly a quarter of the way through the challenge already. :D

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 07 Oct 2017 21:29

Take care of that sunburn DannyD.

AJH, I am sorry too Pork, your sandwich sounds delicious.

Hello Caroline, hope you are doing well.

Hope the day has been good to everyone :D <:)>

wapati3

Post by wapati3 » 07 Oct 2017 23:40

Pork wrote::cry:
Pork, I think we should just view this as a true complement. :) :)