Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

how much did you drink......

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
long over do
Last Drink Date: 14 Mar 2012

how much did you drink......

Post by long over do » 25 Jul 2011 20:47

i found i was drinkingo a day wit a bottle of wine a night and on weekends maybe even 2 bottles,,,ide go the odd day very odd day without and then celebrate the next with.....so my confession is ide have 2 much....
one day at a time

Laura-ANewStart

Re: how much did you drink......

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 25 Jul 2011 21:52

easily a bottle of wine a nite some 2....but i was hiding it too which makes it all the worse, have you given up or cut down x

joanneholdbrook

Post by joanneholdbrook » 26 Jul 2011 10:54

a bottle of vodka a few times a week sad :o

long over do

Post by long over do » 27 Jul 2011 07:09

i wanna say sooo bad ive given up alcohol...ive cut down but i still feel like a failure...my goal is to give it up...im developing ibs from it ...every time i drink i have to be careful to fart....sounds funny but its not......i wanna quit i gotta quit but i just keep on doing it....k crappers i wanna be over it

:oops:
one day at a time

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 27 Jul 2011 11:14

Hey Long over do - please don't despair and never call yourself a failure.So far you have admitted you have a problem, you've decided you want to stop drinking, you've joined BE and you've cut down.That sounds like a good start to me.

Ok, the next step can seem daunting, we've all been there and know how scary it feels.So here's a few suggestions to hopefully help you on your way;

Read around the different threads on BE as much as you can for support and motivation.

Write a list of all the things you like about drinking.

Write a list of all the things you hate about drinking.

If you feel it might help, see your GP/local alcohol support group/AA meeting, whichever suits you best.

Use the 10 minute rule - if a whole day without drinking seems too hard, keep putting it off for 10 minutes at a time - 'sounds simple, but it does work.

I'm sure you'll find a whole lot more useful advice when you've read around a bit more.The main thing is, your health is only going to get worse if you carry on drinking, and will definitely get better if you stop.There's always someone around the forum if you need a sympathetic ear so you need never be alone.

Good luck - you absolutely can do this.

long over do

Post by long over do » 28 Jul 2011 01:06

thanku caroline..ur advice is helpful and i need to set a date and get my goal on....i realize the depth of my struggle ,.,.it sux that normal peeps can drink and then they dont..but ce lie vie...i am going to have a clean september..cutting down for summer,.,.,.,so im gonna give it my 10 min all...tee hee...ill be reading and posting and trying....sending love to all...
one day at a time

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 28 Jul 2011 10:48

Well if it makes anyone feel any better, at my worst, I was drinking two bottles of wine a day. Not all in one go, which in some ways makes it worse.
Rachel

roledog33
Last Drink Date: 12 Jun 2015

Post by roledog33 » 28 Jul 2011 20:18

I was drinking 3-4 bottles (fifths) of Jack Daniels per week. I was averaging almost $100 U.S. per week on alcohol; and that was just for me.
An alcoholic will always need a drink; a drunk will always have one.

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole » 28 Jul 2011 22:29

a case of 12 cans of budweiser every single day of the week, and at weekends probably 16 cans a day plus a few bottles of beer.
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

Libelula
Last Drink Date: 30 Aug 2017

Post by Libelula » 29 Jul 2011 00:45

I really just want to second caroline's advice to you, long over do... we're all struggling at different places, but please don't beat yourself up. <:)>

Give yourself every chance... from trying to stay positive, to keeping away from alcohol, to taking L-Glutamine or even trying antabuse, if appropriate to your situation. The EAF is trying to make you think you are a failure, cos it suits her to make you think one battle is the whole war. It's not.

To answer the question, I'm unsure as to how much I drank; but 3/4 of a bottle of wine per day was beginning not to seem enough. I'm actually beginning to forget, but when I faced up to my alcohol problem it was more for the compulsive and solitary aspects of drinking... it took me quite a while to acknowledge myself that actually, I was drinking a lot. Estimated 200 - 230 units per month.
I want to be the best possible mum to my son.

linda6666
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2010

Post by linda6666 » 29 Jul 2011 20:56

I used to drink a ltr bottle vodka and anything else i could get my hands on, but easy a ltr vodka per day :o :o ;)? This may shock a few of you, but i aim 2 be honest all the way, and some may take comfort from the amount i drank and im here 2 day still sober, always a light at the end ov the tunnel and always somebody far more addicted and some less.. But it can be done with a fight and plenty support... SO WELL DONE ALL who has said how much they drank, my amounts where excessive (very) and maybe not the norm, thats y i had to go through a proper medicated detox.......Best thing i have done....... So "hey ho" its what i used to drink. Out and proud ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

linda6666

Post by linda6666 » 30 Jul 2011 13:27

Hi Joe.... Thanks for your kind words, yeh the pic is me in lanzaroti, now that is just one of the benefits of not drinking, i couldnt even get out of bed let alone on a plane (at my worse), and believe me when i say worse and that last drinking binge came from nowhere after a year of sobriety, so i can safely say "I HAVE BEEN THERE AND WORN THE T-SHIRT" and know all to well how easy it is for the EAF to catch you unaware, sober one min/total wreck the next and due to the vast amounts i was drinking it wasnt just a case of "oh just stop", far 2 dangerous, so until i got the proper help i had to continue drinking and drinking the same amount. It then became the job of my sister and daughters to go get my drink (this im not proud of) but sadly thats how drinking can get you.. I never class myself has a expert in it but until you have walked the walk/talked the talk you (meaning people not you) cannot even begin to imagine what life for a drinker is like, specially when you realy dont want THAT LIFE and have just been unfortunate enough to become that way, my problems did not start till my late 30's early 40's so you would think i would have had the sense to know better, but NO! Alcohol is not choosy when it gets people so bad they rely on drink to survive.. Im not proud of what i was and what i became, but im so bloody proud of myself now and i know my daddy bear will be so proud also, because he tried so hard to find out what was wrong and then when he knew although he could not help me himself he was bashing on at my family to help and even offered to pay for a detox for me (he wasnt rich) but in all the time he never judged me he just gave me the bit of support he was able to :( . But that light is there just waiting to be found, and this time i know "i cant just have one", I have to be t-total, so although my journey has been a bloody hard one it has learned me lessons that only a drinker can learn, even half the alcohol workers haven't got the first clue what its like, yeh they learn from books ect, but there is nothing like THE REAL thing, the kind of things only life can learn you.. And if my tale can just stop one person going down the same road has me then it will have all been worth while :D . My sponsorship is at £565 up to now so NO WAY can i let these people down let alone myself... Ok essay over now haha...The Linda back then is not the same LINDA i live with now ;)? ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2020

Post by Boris Bike » 03 Aug 2011 14:52

10 cans of Strongbow every day for months. I'm still drinking to 'taper off' but have ordered just one case this week (15 cans) instead of my regular four cases (and I'd get 4 two litre bottles or so on top at some point). Yesterday I drank just 5 cans and the one I've just thrown in the bin had been by my side for 12 hours (I was awake and sitting with it all that time). I put that down entirely to finding this site yesterday and being so engrossed by everything that I wasn't aware of it being there a lot of the time.

George

Post by George » 03 Aug 2011 15:46

Hey SR

It can be a great benefit, being busy with other things and not having the time to think about drink, can't it. Try to do that all the time and I'll bet it makes things better. Even reading a book can be beneficial, it keeps your mind on other things so there's no time to think about things that cause problems, if you know what I mean ;)?
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

chrissy 101
Last Drink Date: 22 Feb 2013

Post by chrissy 101 » 03 Aug 2011 23:40

I used to drink 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of wine a night but just before I joined BE it had risen to one and a half to two bottles. Not good. :oops:

Since stopping I have more energy, more money and less tyres around my midrift :D
Chrissy 101 - In many cases people forget our "episodes" quicker than we do...but maybe this is the kind of "final straw" thing for you, a kind of push for you to decide whether you cut down or abstain completely. (Sandy) 1st July 2011

powellct
Last Drink Date: 14 May 2010

Post by powellct » 06 Aug 2011 18:10

15-20 cans Olde English cider/day, every day. Equates to around a litre of vodka in units. And a chuffing lot of cash (or credit card debt :oops: )
Part of the SMART Recovery "Big Team"
www.smartrecovery.org.uk

Willy
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2012

Post by Willy » 25 Aug 2011 17:03

....... six 12-oz cans of beer and one bottle of wine each evening between 5 PM and 9 PM. I would then stumble to bed, wake with my head in an aching fog, go to work, and then do it all again.

Sober is better; much better.

linda6666

Post by linda6666 » 26 Aug 2011 16:46

Poker bird, just been trying 2 sort my units of alcohol i used 2 drink and in vodka alone i would drink 280 units easy, then another easy 84 units on top ov that......This im not proud of and it is a DISGUSTING AMOUNT 364 units a week but i came on BE to be nothing but honest, and i came back and lived to tell the tale from those stupid amounts per week..So there is hope for everyone here on BE..... They say 14 units for a woman.....I think i drank a slight amount over the recommended...... And from 364 units to 0 units was a massive shock to my body, im surprised im still alive to be honest......Never worked it out in units b4.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

linda6666

Post by linda6666 » 26 Aug 2011 17:12

It would do pokerbird...Once over if i drank a quarter bottle ov vodka id be on my back for 2 days, but over time it took more more and even more, and at the end of my drinking life, even all that alcohol wouldnt make me drunk just ILL, i could still drive my car, even though i could not walk(i would stumble to the car) then drive a straight line..None of these things i am proud of and for the drink driving i should be locked up.. But just saying so people know the more you drink will increase with time.......A sad life a life of a drinker...... :cry: :cry:

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 26 Aug 2011 17:45

At the beginning of my drinking days, say 20 - 30 years ago, (I never really drank till I was in my late twenties), we'd buy a 75cl bottle of gin or vodka for Christmas, and possibly a bottle of wine. The vodka would usually still be there the next Christmas :o
As the years went by, the drinking gradually increased, and probably five or so years before I stopped, I'd have thought it a result if a litre bottle of vodka lasted a week. Then it was boxed wine ... not so noisy when it comes to empties granted, but not so easy to pretend with, like a bottle that you could top up. So then it progressed on to a couple of 5 litre boxes of wine per week, (never bothered with the 3 litre ones :oops:) and a litre of vodka ... and that's not counting the 3 or 4 times I'd go to my local village store during the week to buy a 'top up' bottle in the hopes that nobody would notice how much I was drinking ... who was I fooling?
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.