Interesting Quote I Saw Today

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Therapy

Interesting Quote I Saw Today

Post by Therapy »

'It is of utmost importance that we repeat our mistakes as a reminder to future generations of the depths of our stupidity'.

Certainly has made me think about its content and meaning/s.

Grendelslip

Re: Interesting Quote I Saw Today

Post by Grendelslip »

We do evolve, but very slowly. I wish I was sixteen again. Then I knew it all.

1norton

Post by 1norton »

"If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans

52 would be female
48 would be male

70 would be non-white
30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.*

80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
1 (yes, only 1) would have a university education
1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes very apparent. The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness ...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week. If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ...you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep ...you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ...you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ...you are very rare.

If you can read this message you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

Just something to ponder......Norton

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip »

I came, I saw, I pondered. Excellent post Norton. I have just counted my blessings and found I had far more than I thought. Thank you.

1norton

Post by 1norton »

Grendelslip wrote:I came, I saw, I pondered. Excellent post Norton. I have just counted my blessings and found I had far more than I thought. Thank you.
Yep! me too.

lawrence
Last Drink Date: 22 Apr 2017

Post by lawrence »

My favourite quote:

'Since there is a wall here, a wide, open expanse must lie on the other side' Buddhist philosopher Daisaku Ikeda.

1norton

Post by 1norton »

See failure as an opportunity and if you blame others then there is no end to blame, so just fulfill your obligations, correct your mistakes, then do what you need to do and step away, demanding nothing and giving all.

I wrote the above down years ago,it just kind of meant something to me at the time and i suppose it still does. I have no idea who wrote it.

renasci

Post by renasci »

Last edited by renasci on 11 Jan 2012 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Therapy

Post by Therapy »

I spotted the quote at the Tate Modern a few days ago, it's displayed in neon lights in the window that faces the Millenium Bridge. Thanks for all your interpretations, I took it as a 'tongue in cheek' statement, rather than a literal statement.

Oldenough2knowbetter
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by Oldenough2knowbetter »

Aha. Thought there must be a quote thread somewhere... This will do... Heard this one the other day in a guided meditation and was rather drawn to it:

Forgiveness frees us from the ties that bind us to those that hurt us

Not easy to do but very true.
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." [Christopher Robin to Pooh]

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

OE, that's great (::)

It's very similar to something I once read by Milan Kundera:

"Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary."

There's something more compassionate, somehow, about the way it's put in your quotation, though.

Great stuff ;)?
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Oldenough2knowbetter
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by Oldenough2knowbetter »

Glad you like it too! I often hear things like that that I like and now I have found somewhere to note them... :D
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." [Christopher Robin to Pooh]

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ »

I saw a lovely quote today:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....its about learning to dance in the rain!"

I thought that (for me) alcohol is like an umbrella. I hate the damn things; they only ever poke you in the eye, never actually help!
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

roledog33
Last Drink Date: 12 Jun 2015

Post by roledog33 »

This is not exactly a quote per se, but it's something Robin Williams said when talking about his sobriety. One of his friends described himself as a "functional alcoholic."

"You can be one. It's like being a parapalegic lap dancer; you can do it, just not as well as the others."
An alcoholic will always need a drink; a drunk will always have one.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Today I read this..

Be the man that when his feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh shit, he's up."

Made me chuckle.

Jaxom
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by Jaxom »

I am not going to laugh slingy because you are very rude.

tee hee hee
An Inuit story. An old man is talking to his grandson: 'Inside me are two dogs fighting: a black one and a white one.` `Which one will win?' asks the boy. 'The one I feed'

jaffa21
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by jaffa21 »

"Happiness can be found,even in the darkest of times,if one only remembers to turn on the light"
I am fighting this with all my might.

George

Post by George »

What can I say, I'm an alcoholic. It's what I do.
Ron Wood
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Lottie38
Last Drink Date: 03 Aug 2013

Post by Lottie38 »

1norton wrote:"If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans

52 would be female
48 would be male

70 would be non-white
30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.*

80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
1 (yes, only 1) would have a university education
1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes very apparent. The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness ...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week. If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ...you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep ...you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ...you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ...you are very rare.

If you can read this message you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

Just something to ponder......Norton
I have come across this today. I wonder if it is still the same over a year later?
You can't pour from an empty cup.

ashley2011
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 1984

Post by ashley2011 »

Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. ~Kahlil Gibran