Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

how much did you drink......

Any tips or advice to prevent a relapse, alternatively any of your stories about your own relapses.
Elizabeth

Re: how much did you drink......

Post by Elizabeth » 02 May 2013 12:58

Topcat wrote:Completely barking, but we still did it didn't we? I even saw yellow eyes looking back a few times and STILL drank some more.
Jarvis Jones wrote:This is less serious, but I always hated the way cheap wine made me sneeze and my eyes would run until I was incapable of doing anything else while drinking, like reading/watching television. But I'd carry on drinking, regardless :roll:
Elizabeth wrote:I was also constantly worrying about my health and checking my eyes for first signs of Jaundice, then I'd pour myself another drink. How mad is that :roll:
I don't know guys :roll:, you have to laugh sometimes, if we put the same sense of determination into daily life, we'd all be millionaires :lol:

Jaxom
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by Jaxom » 02 May 2013 14:04

Guys, I guess what we did was run away from the bogey/boogie man. Then we stopped, turned around and faced it.

Have you ever had those dreams where you are running away from something but can't seem to get anywhere? Apparently it is a common nightmare and often involves feet getting caught up in the bedding. :? I remember having such a dream but in it I stopped, turned around and started walking purposefully towards the unseen chaser. I heard a strident voice shout: ' Noooooo. He's coming this way.' I have no idea what that was all about. It was long before my drinking days and life was good. I woke up laughing out loud at that voice, but it has puzzled me ever since. Turn and face our demons and see how pathetic they are? I really do not know. What I do know is that I have bright eyes and I have Bright Eye. The mirror is a happier place. Well, apart from wrinkles and general non-hunk stuff but I live with that! :D

Dave

Edit: how much? bottle of vodka every night with the odd night off because, of course, I could control it. :roll:
An Inuit story. An old man is talking to his grandson: 'Inside me are two dogs fighting: a black one and a white one.` `Which one will win?' asks the boy. 'The one I feed'

trish439

Post by trish439 » 09 Jun 2013 21:07

how much do i drink? as much as is there....til it is all gone.....at home alone, while watching tv. if i have 6 beers then i drink 6 beers, if i have 16 beers then i drink 16, drink it til there is no more.

didn't use to be quite that bad, but in the last 18 months has gotten worse and i don't have ANY control once I get started.

I can't stop myself from asking why? why must I be an Addict to Alcohol? wish I was one of those people who never cared for the stuff . I hate the space it takes in my thoughts, always there except when I am working. Thank God for my job.

trish :| :(
"courage is the price that life exacts for peace"--Amelia Earhart

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 10 Jun 2013 07:29

trish439 wrote: I can't stop myself from asking why? why must I be an Addict to Alcohol? wish I was one of those people who never cared for the stuff . I hate the space it takes in my thoughts, always there except when I am working.
Same here Trish. I used to spend hours asking "why me" and agonising over the fact that I couldn't drink like "normal" people. I then turned it around to "why not me"? Know what? Couldn't think of a single reason. Addiction is controllable (don't take the substance) and you can live a perfectly healthy/normal life without it. The time you spend thinking about drink and drinking will ease as sober time progresses Trish. In the early days it does seem to occupy every waking moment, but it does get easier.

Does "why me" still seem so daunting?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

weldmast
Last Drink Date: 13 Feb 2000

Post by weldmast » 10 Jun 2013 17:53

long over do wrote:i found i was drinkingo a day wit a bottle of wine a night and on weekends maybe even 2 bottles,,,ide go the odd day very odd day without and then celebrate the next with.....so my confession is ide have 2 much....
For me it was 4 bottles of scotch a week, 24 Tennents Super, 1 - 2 bottles port. Sometimes I went without drink for a day to try to convince myself that I wasn't alcoholic. it was when I found I was unable to stop at one drink that I realized I was out of control and I couldn't do anything about it. Three steps that other might recognize.
1. Man takes drink
2. Drink takes drink
3. Drink takes man.
Born 1961, alcoholic from 1988 to 2000. Stopped drinking 13 years ago. I've started a small website with my experiences. I'd love to give others hope that is can be beaten.

trish439

Post by trish439 » 11 Jun 2013 04:52

thank you TopCat

that why me is not so much why can't i drink "normal", but wish i just never drank at all...i'm sure that is not an uncommon thought for many a problem drinker.

i do hope it all gets easier, 10 or so years ago i managed to quit for 4 years and i swear it drove me crazy the whole time

not trying to be negative, just venting

today i wanted to drink and i beat it back and i am enjoying myself with a little coffee and chocolate relaxing with the The Voice.....i feel really good and happy that i did not drink, i feel like i won today

I really like reading your posts by the way, great input.

Highest Regards, :) :)

trish

Melanie961

Post by Melanie961 » 11 Jun 2013 05:13

()o
Last edited by Melanie961 on 06 Sep 2013 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

trish439

Post by trish439 » 11 Jun 2013 05:24

\:)/

(::)

;)?

<:)>

well hey good for both of us Melanie,,,good for us!

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 26 Jun 2013 14:24

Good question! Well I drank daily and depending if it was after work or not it could be anywhere between six to 12 bottles of beer (33cl/5%) more on a day off work if I started early (opening time). For many years now it took me three bottles quickly in a row just to feel settled, I did try red wine for a while but found that two bottles a day was about right, but the hangover wasn't much fun.
Chin up and brew up

lancanster sam

Post by lancanster sam » 07 Jul 2013 18:29

i didn't just have one drink of choice really so i would often drink 1 litre bottle of vodka every 2 days and often needing a top up with wine and such. I averaged between 70-100 units a week which is a rough calculation because half the time the day was just a blur despite attending lectures and doing coursework. I must have blew through 1500 quid at least inside 7-8 months which is why now i am broke until my student finance comes through in my second year and even then i will have to monitor the situation very carefully.

ditzydee

Post by ditzydee » 07 Jul 2013 21:00

i was drinking 8 cans of larger 4 % vol every night at my usual time of 7.30pm id try to drink 15/20mins either side to get over my obsession with this time and while that worked i still drank anyway.but when i started to give up(over and over again)i did find that i wasnt as obsessed with that specific time .id just be concentrating on not giving in. my every night drinking has been going on for 3 years before that id drink 4/5 nights a week at my usual time i knew back then i was drinking to much but i never knew i had such a problem with it untill i started trying to stop and thats been going on for 2 years :roll:
UK girl :\: \:)/ ;)?

FinalStraw

Post by FinalStraw » 16 Jul 2013 21:36

It scares me when i think about the volume i was drinking. I could quite easily be dead by now. On my worst binges it could be getting on for 200 units over a week.

I know that by having just that one drink it wouldn't be long before i was back to that level. One drink's never enough and one drink's too many!

FinalStraw

Post by FinalStraw » 21 Jul 2013 12:16

That sounds familiar Gerard And i'd try to space out the bottles on the conveyor belt at the check out so it didn't look as much.

Shopping also takes a lot less time too as i don't agonise in the wines, spirits and beer aisle about whether i've got enough and is what i've got strong enough. Then go back there to get more 'just in case' :roll:

Jaxom
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by Jaxom » 26 Aug 2013 17:29

tyrantspell, your story is so familiar. Insidious is a word I often use regarding alcohol. It is the way it creeps up on you and slowly, bit by bit, takes control until you feel helpless and totally trapped in a world of nightmares.

I must say, and please do not take offence, but self-detoxing when you have got to the stage of hallucinating, is extremely dangerous and I want to dissuade anybody else from trying it. I did it once and got a very stern lecture from a health care professional. If anybody is in that situation they need medical help. It is a life-threatening scenario. If you really cannot seek help then the way to do it is taper off i.e. gradually reduce your consumption over a few days. That can be very hard to do and I could not manage it. You take a drink, you take another drink then your (my) willpower goes out the window and glug, glug, glug all the way back to square one. That is just me though. Many have gone down that route and successfully weaned themselves off.

Alcohol is one of the most dangerous chemicals to withdraw from. Far more dangerous than, say, heroin

Dave
An Inuit story. An old man is talking to his grandson: 'Inside me are two dogs fighting: a black one and a white one.` `Which one will win?' asks the boy. 'The one I feed'

Melanie961

Post by Melanie961 » 26 Aug 2013 23:03

tyrant spell: I am happy to see you jumping in.I read your earlier posts with smudge.

I have never read anything that I related to more. :twisted:

Do you have a plan?To do this long term. (::)

Post or PM me anytime. ;)?

Mel :D

frank_b

Post by frank_b » 25 Sep 2013 14:31

150-200 units a week (If I've done my conversion right we don't use units here in Australia, we refer to 'standard drinks'). I would budget for two of the large 1.125 litre bottles of Smirnoff Vodka to last me three nights. I would buy them in a box of six at a time so that I wouldn't be in the bottleshop every other day. A box of six would last me nine days maximum, never more and sometimes a day less. But usually the formula of 2 big bottles over three nights was pretty spot on. God I hope I haven't left it too late to quit, my liver must be stuffed.

katydid
Last Drink Date: 01 Apr 2015

Post by katydid » 25 Sep 2013 16:57

It's never too late to quit frank - our livers will be healing and improving at this very moment - no matter how bad they've become - there will be some improvement. I'm sure our hearts, kidneys and the rest will be better too - that's what I believe and I'm sticking to it :D
"(1) Nothing I see means anything. (2) I have given what I see all the meaning it has for me. " ~ from A Course In Miracles by Dr. Helen Schucman

chick dip
Last Drink Date: 18 Sep 2012

Post by chick dip » 25 Sep 2013 17:09

True dat Katy ;)? its not WHAT we drank BUT the fact we ARENT drinking now......stick with it x
AF May 2010-Sept 2012...thanks to this site...

Onward and upward again

frank_b

Post by frank_b » 26 Sep 2013 00:00

katydid wrote:It's never too late to quit frank - our livers will be healing and improving at this very moment - no matter how bad they've become - there will be some improvement. I'm sure our hearts, kidneys and the rest will be better too - that's what I believe and I'm sticking to it :D
I hope so Katydid. I really do. I am already feeling a lot better despite being less than a week AF. Not waking up with a feeling of impending doom every morning which is great. As well as quitting alcohol I have also started a nutrition program and new exercise program so hopefully all these factors will be helping to rebuild my insides after too many years of poisoning them.

Fig

Post by Fig » 03 Oct 2013 13:37

I have no real pattern to my drinking.

I have however drank about 100-200 units of alcohol per week since i was 20,so for about 15 years now.I would go for a few beers with mates after work and then wine into the small hours and then maybe more when i got home and go to bed at 6am.Did this maybe 3 of the 5 weekdays and weekends would be all out sessions involving beer,wine,vodka and whiskey,going out on fri and not coming back in some cases til monday am.
I was not alone in this and we were all mid twenties,living in a different country and partying hard (although,im pretty sure i drank a bit more than the others)

I then moved jobs.I thought id have to curtail my drinking and was secretly happy about this,how wrong I was!

This job afforded more money and time to drink whilst my work mates again did the same.We were in a situation where everything was subsidised including booze so a two litre bottle of Bacardi (which i didnt even know existed !) Was about 10 quid,a 24 can case of beer was the same,proper wine for 2-3 quid.I jumped in with both feet,again would drink 4 of the 5 weekdays,probably 10 cans of beer and then a bottle of wine.Just drank from the morning on the weekends.Again i wasnt alone here but again i feel i may have been having a bit more than everyone else.

I left that job and am back home now.I havent had a drink in 9 days.I still have the shakes,ive dropped two stone in the last 6 months as things have really been out of control and i often dont eat for days on a bender.The first 7 days were horrific as the realisation of the last 15 years hit home,the best years of my life wasted (quiet literally).Well, i am where i am now so trying to keep it up.I feel much better the last two days but shock and regret are still the two biggest feelings as well as fear of course.This forum is great though,keep up the good work.