Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Meditation

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
MissBlue

Re: meditation

Post by MissBlue » 10 Jun 2013 10:42

Thanks for that Freedom (::) I will go and check it out :D .

hamsa

Post by hamsa » 13 Jul 2013 13:46

I've recently started back into meditation and the strangest thing is happening that hasn't before. I'm having the most vivid and disturbing dreams. Not nightmares, just disturbing. But all very vivid. Has anyone else shared that experience?

surreau

Post by surreau » 28 Jul 2013 23:47

Mountainhare,

Yes, yes and yes. You got it! Yoga, like life, is the journey not the destination. You will find that it keeps you interested, encouraged, curious, and calm through all life's future tempests, by showing you where your stillness resides so that you can find it again when you need it.

I need to tell you, it is not linear; that's just the way it is. Somedays your limits will be reached earlier than the previous days and weeks. It doesn't matter; it's about acceptance of how you are now, today; not a competition with you, yesterday. Life fluctuates as yoga flows. Improvement comes in fits and starts, and hubris gets shown the door. It teaches us to accept today's challenges and limitations and the fact it is all temporary. It is enough.

Still always keeping my little hands together over my heart for you, and sending you a big "Namaste!", middle aged yogi that I am (btw.."I am" == "Om" (the sound the Universe makes)?) I'll see your downward dog and raise you one cobra...hehe.

X Sue

PS Fantastic and necessary as the poses and breathing exercises (pranayama) are, always remember they exist primarily in order to find the stillness in the final meditation, which is why Shavasana (Corpse Pose) which always completes your practice, is the most important pose of all. It is when your Parasympathetic nervous system synthesises all the unblockages your practice has made, and your body is in a calm state of flow/being, and being One with Everything.

Your post is so uplifting! Thank you for posting it, and onwards it is for you now.

surreau

Post by surreau » 29 Jul 2013 23:21

Hi there Yogihare (I do like the new name),

Yes, I know "Light On Yoga" and Iyengar. It's very similar to the yoga I do; I think it is right for you as well. He is a very inspiring man, and I also love the way Yehudi Menuhin (the violinist that was) brought him to the West and was a student for many years, and a yogi as well as a violinist.

If yoga has found you, you have found a life-long friend. This is the beginning of a really interesting journey for you. It has led me in all sorts of directions, all good.

Namaste, and a big Yogi bearhug. Will keep in touch as ever; it will be so nice to explore yoga's positives rather than drinking's negatives now.

Namaste!

x Sue.

Level Again

Post by Level Again » 13 Sep 2013 08:46

Hey Mountainhare,

Your post really pleased me.

I've started Williams and Penman's eight-week Mindfulness programme and meditated in my car, parked in a quietish spot, before work this morning.

I think Mindfulness could really help me as it's about how I live my life, not my drinking (that's the symptom). My life, not just my drinking, needs to change.

I wish you a Mindful day. :)
Be great in act, as you have been in thought - Shakespeare.

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 13 Sep 2013 09:02

I've tried hypnotism once or twice (worked the first time). And I have since used a sort-of self-hypnotism at moments of craving (not recently. For some reason I rarely get cravings. So watch this space. I'll probably be climbing the wall later).

I've been at home/work/in the car, and the temptation would have been itching like a gnat bite. I coped by taking myself to that 'quiet place' (good plan to pull in and stop driving). To imagine that quiet place. To really smell the flowers, feel the sun, hear the breeze.

And I would tell myself it wasn't going to happen then. Perhaps later, but definitely not then.

It's ridiculous how calming the whole thing was. Would that have been the mindfulness/meditation that everyone talks about? I just used to think I was sort-of hypnotising myself.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Level Again

Post by Level Again » 13 Sep 2013 10:10

Hey DD,

I'm by no means an authority on it but from my point of view, the definition of Mindfulness (if there is one) is very broad so yes.

It's taught me to focus on the present. Constant thinking about the "painful past" and the "fearful future" causes me anxiety which leads to bad decision-making. Focusing on the present, in a peaceful place, calms me down and when I'm calm I'm better able to deal with life.

I heard on the radio this morning that the space probe, even though it's left our solar system, would take 40,000 years to reach the next solar system. Thinking about things like that puts my petty little problems in perpective. Is this Mindfulness too?
Be great in act, as you have been in thought - Shakespeare.

Oldenough2knowbetter
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by Oldenough2knowbetter » 25 Sep 2013 07:38

Deepak Chopra's next free meditation challenge - 2 weeks, starts 7 October

http://www.mentorschannel.com/WildDivin ... ge/&af=589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." [Christopher Robin to Pooh]

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: Meditation

Post by Topcat » 20 Nov 2013 16:20

Think I know what you mean Joop. It's a sort of weird tingly euphoric feeling (bit like an extended shiver). I used to get it a lot as a child. Not so much as an adult, but I do still experience it from time to time and it has increased with sobriety.

Anything particularly pleasant can trigger it.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 20 Nov 2013 17:40

This is quite fascinating now Joop. Never really thought about it before. On reflection I realise I have instigated it from time to time without actually being aware I was doing it (if that makes sense). Most of the time though it just happened of its own accord.

Now I know there's a name for this I'm going to read up on it and learn more. Thanks for the introduction ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

Action

Post by Action » 23 Feb 2014 23:48

There is a course that has been running near me too but unfortunately it's on the same night as another course I'm doing. There are going to be two or three sessions left after I finish so I might get the chance to go to a couple if they can squeeze me in. Meditation is so beneficial - I ask myself why I don't do it daily? Discipline...right Gerard?! :?

Go for it SB ;)?
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

hamsa

Post by hamsa » 27 Feb 2014 23:19

I just completed a virtual "group" meditation on Insight Timer. What a wild feeling to know that you are meditating at the same time as specific people around the world. It is a very surreal connection.

meantime
Last Drink Date: 08 Mar 2014

Post by meantime » 28 Feb 2014 15:14

Hello.
Wasn't really sure where to post this, a neuroscience article about using meditative techniques to reprogram reactions to stress/conflict that I just read.
It is written in relation to intimate relationships with others, but reading it I can imagine a lot of it being used for internal work on the relationship to self.
Well I found it interesting, have a look if you like:
http://www.alternet.org/why-people-beha ... lly-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'He said "I been where I liked. I slept with who I like.
She ate me up for breakfast. She screwed me in a vice.
And now- I don't know What I feel- so tongue-tied.
Don't know Why I feel- so skinned alive." ' -radiohead

meantime

Post by meantime » 04 Mar 2014 13:52

Winker, I know the feeling of the looped thinking, and am so obsessive that I listened to the same cd on repeat every single night, all night til morning, for 2 years straight. The soundtrack to the series 'twin peaks'. Very relaxing. I do that with music all the time, still.
At the same time I was training myself to remember my dreams so every single morning, so, I would wake, then spend the first 5 minutes or so sitting up with eyes still closed just trying to let the memories of dreams linger and not be driven out of mind by it being immediately "thrown into beginning the day", then in total silence made and drank a coffee while writing down anything/everything I could remember dreaming, sometimes with illustrations. Some days, nothing came back to me, but most days more than one dream. As I would be writing one part, some other dream would pop up, a little flash. I'd quickly jot in the margin of the one i was currently transcribing ('swimming'- or whatever, a word or two), then come back to it and focus on trying to remember more of it.
I remember at least one most days, still. That exercise ^ was from the age of about 18-20, before I had any drinking problem. Some friends into new age stuff claimed that the 'next step' was to dream lucidly, but I have had very little luck in suggesting dream subjects to self then having dreams about the subject, and never once realised in my dream that it is a dream and been able to direct/control events. However strange, or frightening it is, while I dream my mind accepts it as reality. I talk in my sleep a lot and in the past often woke myself up screaming in nightmares and trying to kick at things attacking me.
Since the new anti-depressant medication I have been prescribed, maybe 9 months ago? I still remember nightmares, in greater detail than before, but have developed a strange sort of detachment, no longer wake myself panicking from them, or feeling so upset.
So anyway the training process I mentioned was effectively a kind of meditation to bring the subconscious forward.
I know a woman who makes meditation cds involving binaural beats, which is something that you might like to try. I have 2 of her cds, 'illume in essence' and 're-leaf'. Her name is Jandy Rainbow.

From wikipedia:
Menu
0:00
To experience the binaural beats perception, it is best to listen to this file with headphones on moderate to weak volume – the sound should be easily heard, but not loud. Note that the sound appears to pulsate. Now remove one earphone. Note that the pulsations disappear completely. Repeat with your other ear.

Binaural beats, or binaural tones, are auditory processing artifacts, or apparent sounds, caused by specific physical stimuli. This effect was discovered in 1839 by Heinrich Wilhelm Dove and earned greater public awareness in the late 20th century based on claims coming from the alternative medicine community that binaural beats could help induce relaxation, meditation, creativity and other desirable mental states. The effect on the brainwaves depends on the difference in frequencies of each tone: for example, if 300 Hz was played in one ear and 310 in the other, then the binaural beat would have a frequency of 10 Hz.[1][2]

The brain produces a phenomenon resulting in low-frequency pulsations in the amplitude and sound localization of a perceived sound when two tones at slightly different frequencies are presented separately, one to each of a subject's ears, using stereo headphones. A beating tone will be perceived, as if the two tones mixed naturally, out of the brain. The frequencies of the tones must be below 1,000 hertz for the beating to be noticeable.[3] The difference between the two frequencies must be small (less than or equal to 30 Hz) for the effect to occur; otherwise, the two tones will be heard separately, and no beat will be perceived.

Binaural beats are of interest to neurophysiologists investigating the sense of hearing.[4][5][6][7]

Binaural beats reportedly influence the brain in more subtle ways through the entrainment of brainwaves[3][8][9] and provide other health benefits such as control over pain.[10][11]

You can find a lot of her pieces on youtube if you search there, you should be aware it is designed specifically to be listened to through headphones to isolate the sounds, though. I have a rather expensive big clunky-looking oldschool set from sony, but the cheap ones will do.

meantime

Post by meantime » 05 Mar 2014 08:38

It disturbs me that many factions of new age thought, and even popular thought, seem set on unbalancing people, claiming some emotions are negative and some positive. Seek to eradicate the 'negative', thereby unbalancing the person... I think all of the emotions are necessary and none harmful in themselves. Anger, sadness, etc, can be used positively. Things need to make me sad or angry to motivate me to change. To refuse to accept my anger is to repress a valuable catalyst. Calmly accepting and harnessing the strength of anger for good, is hard, but provides a lot of power if recognised as a need to object to wrongdoings around you. Example, one person angry at/saddened by deforestation stages peaceful protest. Person 2, divorced from using anger rightly, feels anger/sadness but cannot focus them, transforms them into apathy and does nothing.

hamsa

Post by hamsa » 04 Jan 2015 22:47

Bump. Love to hear what others may be doing lately.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 09 Jan 2015 16:24

I haven't been meditating very much at all for some time. Really do need to find some quiet moments just to switch off as I've been getting a bit panicky lately. I usually find walking the best time to drift away without disturbance from worldly distractions, but at this time of year, it's not often possible in this part of the globe. Perhaps I'll try music for half hour or so before turning in again. That helped enormously in the early months of sobriety to just calm my mind down and stop the brainwaves running riot.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean » 20 Mar 2015 17:16

Goodness how interesting Mountainhare. I've only just found this thread. I have booked to go to Samye Ling over Easter - it is a Rejoicing in Meditation weekend - not exactly a course I don't think. I've been thinking of it for a while and just booked up on impulse. I'm a bit nervous about it though.
I've dabbled in meditation - in 2013 I went to Jason Vale's mountain retreat in Turkey where we did a little meditation in the early mornings. Then went again last year when it didn't have the same impact (and too many wasps buzzing about distracting us) but I still enjoyed it. I've tried to meditate a bit on my own but I haven't persevered. I've done a bit of the Deepak/Oprah thing too.
Any tips you can give me MH? Amy

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean » 20 Mar 2015 20:48

Thanks MH - that is really encouraging. I know I have to put some effort in to get the rewards. So - I'm hoping Samye Ling will kick-start me and give me some inspiration. I'll definitely let you know how I get on. Amy

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean » 12 Apr 2015 11:38

Hi MH. Very good to see that you are back on track after a short relapse. I am on a good long alcohol-free stretch and feeling stronger. I enjoyed the Samye Ling very much and met a lot of lovely people. I found the Buddhist teachings very inspiring and will try to incorporate them into my everyday life as much as possible. In particular getting rid of greed, anger, jealousy and being more appreciative of what I have. I don't find meditation easy though but I will persevere. I did spend a bit of time in the shop but didn't buy any books at the moment. The weather was lovely and it was so peaceful just walking along by the river or sitting in the grounds.
I'm seeing a counsellor tomorrow - about 11 weeks after I went for help. So thank goodness I manged to sort myself out in the meantime and haven't touched a drop of alcohol. However, I'm sure it will do me good to speak to a professional person. I hope anyway, but we'll see.
All the best MH and keep strong and sober. Amy x