Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Staying Single

Partners, families, children and friends - they all get affected by your drinking.
jamesey

Re: Staying Single

Post by jamesey » 23 Nov 2015 20:20

Hi ruby yeah the Hie Karate ad with Valerie Leon was just before my ability to remember,but i remember a succession of other ones. Well you hit the mail on the head there with oddbod and junior, it for me was something about there size and them boiler suits.To this day i find them ODD to use a word ;)? Oh my god the Talos scene was amazing,but the bit that freaked me out was when Jason took that cap out of his heel :o That kind of started me to be aware that my body has some sort of liquid inside and its better to keep it in !
Yep I've always thought that about CGI ,there's no texture no flesh to it.The monsters on doctor who were bloody creepy.Look at this clip of the the one that made me have nightmares ! do remember Morbius ?https://youtu.be/Gkd7XmiiYLw
So yes the old animations were actually for me like monsters and aliens,just by the nature of the way they moved.There is another scene from the original war of the worlds that got me and that was the scene ware they were hiding in the house and the probe goes in,cant get actual clip.The modern Tom Cruise scene was good.God i'm going on a bit,but you seem to like what i like.What about this scene he really used to scare me ! https://youtu.be/5NZXmq-E2tM
Take care and keep that lamp on ;)

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 24 Nov 2015 18:20

PM'd you Ruby

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » 24 Nov 2015 22:16

Ta I have sent one back let me know if you didn't get it ;)? :D

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 25 Nov 2015 17:19

Hi Ruby hope you ok today ;)? Yeah do stick with the van Gogh letters its funny that i assumed him not to be that bright,got that wrong :roll: He had a job at an art dealers like his brother.He then went to London to teach languages ! What struck me was the amount of walking he did when there. You can see why people were thinner in those days. He was student of theology and then as a missionary to the coal miners in the Belgian Borinage. I think the pressure of this poor lifestyle was the beginning of his mental health issues.
Now bet you don't remember this British 70's sci fi made by ITV.I could just remember this as a 5 year old and it scared me and gave me nightmares ! I managed to find the entire series.I would challenge any modern day child with all the stuff they watch to not get creeped out by this. It just had a real atmosphere around it,and the main actor was unusual looking.
It was called SKY Here's episode 1 https://youtu.be/DbU-zLqqQHE

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » 27 Nov 2015 21:19

Hi Jamesey I'm fine thanks :D. Yes they did walk a lot in those days but there was also no processed food, no additives etc. I don't think we have yet seen the full legacy of what messing about with our food will do to our health. Especially the GM stuff.

No I do not remember that series but it is quite out there (probably the producers were still tripping out from the sixties maybe on your mushrooms :D ) Have to say though this is very niche stuff only 163 views on that episode on you tube.

What about this series the titles spooked me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwT0wLnT7Rc

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 28 Nov 2015 18:17

Good to hear your ok there Ruby <:)> Do you know your right about the processed crap that gets everywhere ! In the last six months i have really cut down on the stuff,i cant tell you all the ready meals i would eat just to have a few moments in the preparation of food :o I've learned a lot what herbs and spices can do.Do you know i can eat healthy just out of a saucepan and use of the microwave ;)?
Ah i tell ya we do have similar tastes,i was thinking of sending the link to children of the stones,so good the opening titles ! a real scare the bugger to death that one.I watched it again on line last year and the opening episode ware the father and son are going into the village by car and they brake suddenly as they see a huge stone in the road,then it turns into an old lady...creepy
." ok its a school night on a Thursday its 8 pm, its cold outside dad puts the telly on ready for ARMCHAIR THRILLER ! " scary opening titles.
https://youtu.be/lJoZsQkFDtM
The episode "quit as a nun "was great,the end scene ,oh my lordie to much ! here's the end scene. If i remember there were a lot of complaints about this episode as it caused a lot of kids trauma and nightmares. Enjoy ! https://youtu.be/747SKishQPg
Keep your lamp on <:)>
OOH Horror channel freeview 10.35 Blood from the mummies tomb :D

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » 29 Nov 2015 12:28

Had the film on record I new it was coming on at some point as I saw an ad, Valerie and her fabulous frontage in all her glory :D
I love food & cooking especially Mediterranean stuff North African Spanish,Greek/Turkish well all food really but not keen on sushi. I have been watching Rick Stein in Turkey and Greece he did a great one in France too a while back (felt sad when his little dog died because he really loved that dog ) . The Hairy bikers one in Italy was good.

Now you are turning me into a you tube addict, I saw children of the stones a few years back when Tescos had a DVD club and they used to send them out. I remember the armchair thriller and a particular spooky one about a white poodle. There was a series called thriller on too but we were seldom aloud to watch this, but I do remember one about a White Rolls Royce. Did you watch the original Tomorrow People I used to enjoy that. Oh and tales of the unexpected especially the first series notably the 'Landlady' and 'William and Mary' even the introduction used to spook me out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7T-VTL91k
Hope you are doing ok there Jamesey <:)>

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 29 Nov 2015 16:21

Yeah i watched it last night great Horror,i couldn't keep my eyes off them..i mean her :oops:
I love my food ! One thing people in the in this country don't eat enough of and that's fish i eat at least 3 portions a week, oily fish like mackerel Herring,it seems to have a positive affect on my mood I've noticed.One of my fave chefs Rick Stein,i just want to be there with him when he is out and about trying all those dishes ! The fact he loves his fish is a draw for me and i used to love little chalky his dog.I remember as he was getting to old to travel they did a scene of rick going away on a boat while chalky had to stay behind on the pier :(
But the chef that got me into foodie programs was Kieth Floyd for me he was the start of the new wave of cooks.Tho saying that back in the 70's you had " the galloping Gourmet " he had personality and charisma,just watch this ttps://youtu.be/4mY4Qi7J4agh He used to cook the meal then choose a lady out of the audience Have a quick one to one dance then share the meal at a romantic candle lit table.
But i just loved Floyd on France that was great,i think he was pissed a lot of the time with his " just going to have a little slurp while that's cooking " saying ! The series Rick did when he was in France on the boat Rosa was bliss for me.Just tootling along pulling up to local restaurants and turning a tap on to fill you liter bottles up with local wine,and for pence :o God i would be dead at the end of that trip :roll:
Sorry for turning you into an addict,Hay its the healthier addiction ;)? Maybe should be doing this more than the drinking. Talking of the drinking i cut back last night and all week so a little improvement.On other threads some are talking how they do change do silly things or get aggressive. I'm just one of those who doesn't change ! i just get more placid and remain sensible,may have deeper conversations.
Another thing is i don't have blackouts or not remembering what i did episodes. I don't drink in the day time either never have and that could be a saving grace as it must be hell for those that drink through the day,often i have been asked to go to the pub for a drink and actually the thought of drinking in the day just repels me.I just drink my wine in the late evenings watch telly for a bit then its off to Youtube world, pretty sad i know.Oh well will try and make some progress this week ! The tomorrow people was great,the opening titles with the weird hands bit and if i remember they brought in a lad in a Kilt.Think it was to do with the popularity of the Bay city rollers ! What about this one then ? https://youtu.be/GyPhzwtr_yM

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » 01 Dec 2015 01:38

Hi jamesey
I have pm'd you some good links ie seventies horror & some cookery , hope you are doing ok. Our village is cut out with flooding all three roads off here, and my son works part time at a country pub. Last night I was on a country road taking him to work then had to turn out at 10 pm to pick him up , I found myself in the car between two lakes on the road. I managed the first but the lane was too narrow to turn the car, the second flooding area was about 10 inches deep. I got out and tried to judge how far the river had got and how deep it was. I was stuck no lights one eye :o I could only go forward to reverse through the first flood was impossible. I considered abandoning the car on the small dry bit between the two flooding areas but the river was rising. Shit I got through, my heart was beating so fast , once the water gets into the exhaust the car is b&ggered .
Anyway hope all is ok with you

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 01 Dec 2015 11:19

Hi Ruby <:)> BLOODY HELL My god ! we don't need 70's dramas and horrors when life throws that sort of shit at you :o .
you really must of had a lot of rain there Ruby,I guess you are in one of those high insurance areas,flood plains and all that.Its so easy to get caught out with rivers,its all fun watching it from a safe spot,next minute its all around you :o Can be very deceptive you think its not rising and then its just there ! will go to your pm look at links ;)?

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 29 Jan 2016 10:28

Undateables sounds negative. Staying single is often a positive choice.
be selfish in your sobriety.

sweethope
Last Drink Date: 14 Aug 2016

Post by sweethope » 29 Jan 2016 10:45

:\: Think Slingy is back :lol2:

It's easier being single at times, for me anyway, men are hard work and needy !! No offence men :lol:
'Sobriety offers everything drinking destroys!'

Finley

Post by Finley » 29 Jan 2016 11:08

....or 'Dateable but discerning'???? Seriously though, I think Staying Single is the best title for the thread :)
I want to be the best me I can be ...

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 29 Jan 2016 12:52

slingy4 wrote:Hmm I see you're point Fin but Danny or I are not that discerning.actually to promote this thread as it was intended to be used,as a platform for problem drinkers to form relationships positively,how about "the unbeatable but treatables?"
Haha.

Yup. Not discerning at all. I remember meeting up with you! :lol2:

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 29 Jan 2016 13:26

sweethope wrote:.. for me anyway, men are hard work and needy !! No offence men :lol:
None taken. In fact, thank you for acknowledging that we are finally as good as women :) Touché.

Wotcha slingster :\:

sweethope
Last Drink Date: 14 Aug 2016

Post by sweethope » 29 Jan 2016 15:18

Only me again Singletons :\:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... y-alone?ut

Having quite a good day today, lots of giggles...started by Slingster, good to see you lovely and it's a yes to the lunch date. I will jump a flight back to UK tonight arriving after 11pm should have given you plenty time to get some out of date goodies in from Sainsburys!! Cheap bird me, a real bargain buy ;)?

Check out No. 3 not sure that's a good idea for us guys :lol:

Xx
'Sobriety offers everything drinking destroys!'

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 29 Jan 2016 16:06

Some good stuff there sweethope. Every one is datable slingy ;)? Is everyone here recently posting single ? Well I'm here as I want to be single for now. Funny really as I have more friends and social time than when i was in my last relationship :D

jamesey

Post by jamesey » 29 Jan 2016 16:52

And the great thing is about being and staying single is you can go for lunch and eat unhealthy food with the ex as I did at the pub today. Coke and ice with this two ft long piza :o
Attachments
img20160129_165034.jpg
img20160129_165034.jpg (8.34 KiB) Viewed 2211 times

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 29 Jan 2016 19:22

Was it really that long ago? Better have another meet up mister.

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 29 Jan 2016 22:35

"All alone I sit at home
With my chrome guitar
Even Michael Mouse
He has a house with someone there"
Marc Bolan

Well he wasn't bloody alone then was he? In the music trade and got his own guitar? I am not alone either. Apart from my (non-chrome) electric and acoustic guitars there are the other guys who share my bachelor pad. Steve, the three foot long plus tail cuddly toy tiger, Robert the ceramic dragon, George the Christmas tree decoration moose and Twinkle the ceramic dog. (We're not quite sure if Twinkle is a bloke tbh but who cares?) That's a great improvement on the days when there was only me and Simon the brick. He left home though. Said he wanted to hang out with other bricks. I see him most days. He lives in a wall down the bottom of our road.

Actually, the real reason Simon left was because I upset him. I drew eyes, a nose, a smile and an a-hole on him so I knew which way he was facing. I only realised my mistake when I noticed he wasn't drinking from the water bowl I had placed at the entrance to the kennel I made for him. Silly me! I had drawn the features... arse about face. :oops:

It's taken a while to get used to it but I like living alone and being single again. Yes, somerimes I get lonely and usually at times when it is not realistic to call in on somebody or even phone but so what? It passes. I've felt lonely sometimes when living with a partner. Nah, single has a lot of plusses. Especially the home alone side. I can leave the toilet seat up or down :D Mind you, I sometimes agonise over how to leave it overnight. Down must be better for the toilet seat. Even it needs to have a good lie down from time to time.

Dave the mad hatter