Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Withdrawal / Kindling

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: Withdrawal / Kindling

Post by Topcat » 25 May 2016 09:29

clanger wrote: I have no desire to ever drink again as it stands, but I fear that will be relatively short-lived. My habit is to abstain for a number of weeks, and then think "what the heck" and the merry-go-round starts again (only worse, and more dangerous each time). I hope the withdrawal is a wake up call for me. I'm wondering about trying CBT counselling or something to help stay off it (I've never had any type of treatment or therapy before). When I've abstained for a period of weeks, I've felt brilliant. I need to find a way to feel like that for the rest of my life, rather than just the next few weeks.
That was my habit too Clanger. After the withdrawal started to become a distant (and clouded) memory, I'd hit the bottle again thinking that "this time will be different". It wasn't, of course, and as time went on the withdrawals (as they do) got worse and worse. In the end I had to say enough is enough - this has to stop now.

Counselling certainly helped me. It's worth a try Clanger along with anything else that might help you beat this.

Hope work isn't too bad today. Perhaps it might be better to take some time off if that is possible? <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 25 May 2016 09:42

I hope today isn't too bad for you Clanger, all you've been through the last couple of days must have been very scary.Hopefully it will be a turning point for you though - have you thought about booking a counseling session with Tobin?It might be a good thing to keep your motivation up and get advice on how to avoid a relapse.

All the best, keep posting and hang on in there <:)>

clanger
Last Drink Date: 23 May 2016

Post by clanger » 25 May 2016 12:55

Topcat wrote: That was my habit too Clanger. After the withdrawal started to become a distant (and clouded) memory, I'd hit the bottle again thinking that "this time will be different". It wasn't, of course, and as time went on the withdrawals (as they do) got worse and worse. In the end I had to say enough is enough - this has to stop now.

Counselling certainly helped me. It's worth a try Clanger along with anything else that might help you beat this.

Hope work isn't too bad today. Perhaps it might be better to take some time off if that is possible? <:)>
Thanks for your support, Topcat and Caroline . It's good to know that counselling has been a help to you, Topcat, and your suggestion of a session with Tobin is a good one, Caroline.

I've decided to give counselling a try, and will make some calls this week whilst I'm still sufficiently scared. Strike while the iron's hot.

None of my family or friends know how bad my drinking has become. I've always been someone who has 'liked a drink' , but living alone has allowed me to hide a hell of a lot from them. I'm glad my elderly parents don't know - it would be so upsetting and worrying for them.

Regarding withdrawal progress, blood pressure was slightly high, as was blood glucose, and my pulse this morning (though not at the dangerously high levels of yesterday - my pulse was 115 for most of the day!). I've taken some cheese to snack on to work (I try to limit carbs to keep blood glucose stable). Some gastric issues, waves of dizziness and sweating still, but nowhere near as bad as yesterday and I am at least able to work.

I hope I am able to sleep tonight.

Thanks everyone for the brilliant support on here.

clanger

Post by clanger » 25 May 2016 17:00

Oh this really is the gift that goes on giving, isn't it :lol2: ! Kidney pain now, and menstrual spotting 5 days early. And, believe it or not, I could really fancy a drink (I won't).

Can't wait for next week when it should all be out of my system.

clanger

Post by clanger » 26 May 2016 17:43

Just recoring day 3 for my own purposes really. Thought I was much improved today, until I was approaching work just before 9:00am and got the sweats, jitters, dizzy and the shakes again. Had to leave work (again) ando blood pressure was right up again (though pulse was only slightly elevated). Considered going back to the GP but symptoms eased off in the afternoon. Still feeling fuzzy and a bit numb, but have stopped shaking. Bloody hell, this is awful.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 26 May 2016 19:07

Day 3 was often the worst for me Clanger <:)> Hang on in there and hopefully things will get better now <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

clanger

Post by clanger » 26 May 2016 20:29

Topcat wrote:Day 3 was often the worst for me Clanger <:)> Hang on in there and hopefully things will get better now <:)>
Thank you, Topcat <:)> .

Terrifind of having a seizure or something as I live alone. Just been out for a walk to blow the cobwebs (I could hardly walk anywhere this morning) and have booked a session with a therapist for Saturday. At least if I keel over in public there's somebody to call an ambulance. Have a headache now, but otherwise feel OK.

Thanks again.

clanger

Post by clanger » 27 May 2016 05:50

Again, just recording for my own benefit, really. Day 4, just woken up - approximately 78 hours after my last drink. Had a really deep sleep for the first time last night - think I had about 6 hours, and it felt like really good quality sleep. I was afraid to go to bed as I was scared of having a seizure or something bad happening in my sleep, but what can you do? I have a slightly unsettled tummy this morning, but otherwise think I feel ok (though I've not got up yet).

I'm going to go into work again this morning, and hope not to have to leave again due to dizziness and the shakes. Looking forward to my therapy session on Saturday and to approaching life with positivity again. I was doing so well at the start of the year.

I hope I'm over the worst of the withdrawals, but am not going to count my chickens. If I've learned anything over the last 78 hours, it's that I have absolutely no control whatsoever over how my body reacts to alcohol, and that fact is terrifying.

Tai
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2010

Post by Tai » 28 May 2016 08:33

Good luck today Clanger <:)> I hope things go well at the therapist. Things will get easier I'm sure, this IS doable! xx Jos
A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
Khalil Gibran

clanger

Post by clanger » 28 May 2016 09:31

Thank you so much, Tai, for your kind wishes. Sending them your way, too <:)> .

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 28 May 2016 09:49

Hope the therapy goes well Clanger <:)>

It's good that you are writing it all down in this way. Great to be able to read back and reinforce the motivation if the need arises (and it usually does).
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

clanger

Post by clanger » 28 May 2016 10:00

Thank you, Topcat. Yours, and everyone else's support on this thread, and this Board, is absolately invaluable. Looking forward to the initial consultation, though with some trepidation to be honest. Never done anything like this before. Let's see! ;)?

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 28 May 2016 10:52

I hope your therapy session goes well today Clanger, and that you're starting to feel a bit better generally. <:)>

clanger

Post by clanger » 28 May 2016 14:22

caroline95 wrote:I hope your therapy session goes well today Clanger, and that you're starting to feel a bit better generally. <:)>
Thank you, caroline95. It was a relief to be able to speak to somebody about it honestly, and for that person to understand without judgement (though not accept any excuses). It's somebody I feel comfortable, so will start therapy 'proper ' shortly. There's nothing to lose by giving it a go (apart from a small fortune :lol2: ).

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 28 May 2016 14:57

Glad it's someone you feel comfortable with Clanger. Giving it a go is well worth the effort (and expense) (::) ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

clanger

Post by clanger » 28 May 2016 15:28

Topcat wrote:Glad it's someone you feel comfortable with Clanger. Giving it a go is well worth the effort (and expense) (::) ;)?
Thank you Topcat ;)? !

clanger

Post by clanger » 30 May 2016 13:40

Day 7. Feel OK during the day now. Sleep is an issue - my brain won't relax at night (not thinking about anything specific, just all over the place and can't shut off, so 4 or 5 hours of not very good quality sleep). Led to believe that this might continue for some weeks yet, so will try magnesium as a sleep aid, and look for some sort of self hypnosis or meditation type thing to wind down in bed.

On a positive note, it's a pleasure to finally do a normal coloured poo :lol2: !

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 30 May 2016 18:33

I find magnesium helps, and if I get a bit desperate I take one a night Nytol - the antihistamine based one that you have to ask for. It's not addictive, physically at least - I think if you keep taking it it just stops working.

You might not want to take anything 'non-natural', but I am all for making the physical side of things when you are coming off alcohol as comfortable as possible. One can't underestimate the ability of the physical (discomfort) to undermine your mental well being which can end up in going for a drink. Sleep deprivation is not to be taken lightly.

n.b. my sleeping issues are no longer alcohol related (after all this time) I think! I have always had issues, primarily to do with an inabilty to relax (which is partly what led me to drinking inn the first place...)

Very well done for getting to day 7 :D
Rachel

clanger

Post by clanger » 30 May 2016 19:28

Thanks for the advice, Rachel, I really appreciate it ;)? !

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 30 May 2016 20:07

Congratulations on reaching Day 7 Clanger (::)