Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

General Support and Chat

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Re: General Support and Chat

Post by SoberBoots » 02 Nov 2018 10:17

Londoner wrote:
02 Nov 2018 08:22
Hi everyone,

I was on this board for a while at the start of last year. I managed to go nearly 9 months sober however I relapsed last September and the past year has been a constant struggle and self-denial about my drinking problem. I have now hit the lowest I have ever felt in my life and I am going to give sobriety another shot. My last binge/bender was last Sunday/ Monday, so I have now been four days sober. However I still feel extremely physically and mentally down. I am feeling weak, dry mouthed and lethargic.

Like alot of people I have personality and mental health issues that appear alongside my alcohol problem. I am so sick and tired of feeling this way.

Here's to giving sobriety another go.
Welcome back Londoner. Getting sober isn't a miracle cure for all ills, but the sober life is infinitely more rewarding! Look forward to getting to know you.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Londoner
Last Drink Date: 29 Oct 2018

Post by Londoner » 02 Nov 2018 13:41

suffolksally wrote:
02 Nov 2018 10:17
Londoner wrote:
02 Nov 2018 08:22
Hi everyone,

I was on this board for a while at the start of last year. I managed to go nearly 9 months sober however I relapsed last September and the past year has been a constant struggle and self-denial about my drinking problem. I have now hit the lowest I have ever felt in my life and I am going to give sobriety another shot. My last binge/bender was last Sunday/ Monday, so I have now been four days sober. However I still feel extremely physically and mentally down. I am feeling weak, dry mouthed and lethargic.

Like alot of people I have personality and mental health issues that appear alongside my alcohol problem. I am so sick and tired of feeling this way.

Here's to giving sobriety another go.
Welcome back Londoner. Getting sober isn't a miracle cure for all ills, but the sober life is infinitely more rewarding! Look forward to getting to know you.
Thank you very much. I really hope I can stay dry this time.
Sober since Tuesday 30 October 2018 (Last alcoholic drink consumed on morning of Monday 29 October 2018).

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 29 Nov 2018 10:13

OMG :o There is a strange large golden sphere in the sky above Topcat Towers. What is this strange object throwing out rays of light and warmth? It couldn't be la soleil could it? :?
#5 on the 2019 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 29 Nov 2018 21:47

Sorry TC what’s that when it’s out ?

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 30 Nov 2018 08:54

Put a dampener on it now Spats - put the washing out.
#5 on the 2019 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 27 Dec 2018 10:38

Rachel

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 27 Dec 2018 11:25

That's an interesting read, thanks, Rachel ;)?
Each day was a day I’d worked hard to progress. If I had a bad day [and] I was feeling slightly depressed, I'd say to myself, “Well, I’ve no right to let the ‘me’ down who’s got me this far. So, snap out of it! Go and read a book."
Robin Knox-Johnston

pickles

Post by pickles » 30 Dec 2018 11:58

There is an article here too, Rachel and Jj , about pressures of drinking . (I think it's such a shame there is pressure from middle aged adults ! )

https://www.rsvplive.ie/life/you-should ... akfSk_8JcI

martha

Post by martha » 30 Dec 2018 12:52

Interesting articles, thanks Pickles and Rachel :)
Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Loulou x

Post by Loulou x » 05 Jan 2019 17:15

Hello everyone!
I was on here for a few months early last year but lost my way and I’ve drank every day since! But January.... new year, new me. Blah blah blah! I’ve been letting people down left right and centre and I’m just so tired of being sorry all the time. Day 1. Long walk tomorrow I think.
Good luck to you all xxx

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 05 Jan 2019 18:13

Good for you LouLou!

You will be much happier being sober. It doesn't seem like it at first, but if you stick to the challenges and climb your way to milestone after milestone, being sober will start feeling great!

It is just that the beginning is so tough! You just have to form new habits, find new things to do that will take the place of drinking as a hobby! Go back and do things that you loved doing as a child, allow yourself to be childlike and care for yourself with kid gloves!

I found that I did better if I scheduled my new life! I put myself into a kind of military mode, and every thing I did was planned so as not to have idle time to think about drinking!

And don't beat yourself up for relapsing, just put it behind you and get back on the sober path! After a while being sober will be more familiar or habitual than being drunk!

Best wishes, Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Loulou x

Post by Loulou x » 05 Jan 2019 19:55

Hey thanks deanna <:)>
Feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment.
Thanks so much for your message xx

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 05 Jan 2019 20:44

Loulou x wrote:
05 Jan 2019 17:15
Hello everyone!
I was on here for a few months early last year but lost my way and I’ve drank every day since! But January.... new year, new me. Blah blah blah! I’ve been letting people down left right and centre and I’m just so tired of being sorry all the time. Day 1. Long walk tomorrow I think.
Good luck to you all xxx
Well done for getting back on here - it's the first step back towards recovery <:)>
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Loulou x

Post by Loulou x » 05 Jan 2019 21:36

Hey SB.
thank you. It’s good to be back. I know the next few weeks are going to be hard. But I’m gonna try. Hope you’re well xx

P--
Last Drink Date: 27 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 28 Dec 2018

Post by P-- » 06 Jan 2019 02:02

Hi Loulou,

I am also recently back on the site after a fair amount of time away--time that I spent drinking to excess every single day.

It's tough to make that initial leap, but it doesn't take long before the positives start to outweigh the negatives. Welcome back, hang in there, and know that you have friends here.

P--

Loulou x

Post by Loulou x » 06 Jan 2019 11:34

Hi P..
thank you.
I’m still trying to fix things at home. Just worried that I’ve left it to late and left to my own devices I fall off again! Kids back at school this week and I really need some sort of routine back.
Hope you’re ok and not struggling to much.
Good luck xx

P--
Last Drink Date: 27 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 28 Dec 2018

Post by P-- » 07 Jan 2019 01:25

Hi Loulou,

I'm OK, thanks. Finding things to do other than drinking. If you just count the things that I have neglected over the days/weeks/years, I could be kept busy for a good long time. But, I am not in the business of trying to punish myself (anymore)--I am trying to make a real effort to get involved with things I enjoy. It's a foreign concept to me, but I am working on it.

For what it's worth, I've found that if you work on healing yourself, things at home will begin to fall in line and "fix" themselves. Not that that's a pass; you probably do have some work to do, but don't let that intimidate you. Every improvement you make on YOU will be returned 10-fold at home. And, if it's a schedule you need, great! Make one! Have fun with it and don't forget to schedule a little time for you to reward yourself for whatever steps or strides you've accomplished that day.

There were some really great posts left over the past few days or so on the Abstinence board about worry. In short, don't bother with it; it's not productive. Look to the present and beyond instead. But, others put it much more eloquently. Go look. You might find the posts helpful.

Be well,
P--

Loulou x

Post by Loulou x » 07 Jan 2019 20:03

Hey p.. been busy today as you can tell by late reply!
Day 3 and not feeling too bad.
I will definitely have a read of those posts thank you
Hope you’re well <:)>

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 28 Jan 2019 15:12

I have been in the valley of shadows, lately, so I have done some introspection!

I wonder if we could have a discussion about why we started drinking in the first place, for me it was around 17-years-old, and then went on for many, many years.

I can definitely say, my choice came from hereditary inclinations, rites of passage, but mostly anxiety! Or to mask, kill, or abolish anxiety!

At least anxiety and depression are recognized as mental illnesses now, instead of flaws and failure! Just think, how much easier our lives would have been if people would have just recognized that most people drink to alleviate nervousness and feelings of inadequacy. So simple, instead so many people view alcoholism or drug addiction as some kind of moral failure and see only the beast, not the frightened soul underneath the drunken one. Even people that drink view other people that drink to excess as some kind of evil monster! Have you noticed that?

I am interested to discuss this with you guys, we recognize that drinkers are just people like us, but we don't get to help people until they are in dire trouble or hitting rock bottom! We could help so many more people if the drunk and mental illness stigma were recognized and treated. Ignorance, secrecy, fear, shame should be helped instead of railed against! Care, not criticism, would be so much easier, more beneficial and so much more successful in beating the beast!

Let's discuss, shall we!

Best wishes with your battles, today! Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.