Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Re: Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Post by Rachel »

I went to our local (a bit posh and I bet there are loads of politics) allotments open day last Sunday, Seismic and I thought of you. Especially when I saw the odd plot that clearly wasn't being attended to. It's hard to get the plots. Thet are in very high demand so I bet this really annoys some people.
A lot of people have posh sheds, there, and a few have patio areas...
As ever, astonished at how far ahead some poeple's things were. There were gooseberry bushees laden with plump fruit, for example. Where am I going wrong? (Not feeding and watering enough, I suppose.)
The garden is causing me more stress than pleasure at the moment. Illness, depression and being away have caused me to slip far behind to it's overwhelming. And overgrown.
I got a guy round to give me quote for a one of blitz on the bottom half, last week. I may just go with it, even if it's expensive. Even supposing OH were to help, he doesn't know what's a weed and what's not and attacks things with an angry ferocity that is bound to result in the good being decimated, along with the bad.
I am rather in pain from yesterday's work, but will get going again when I've finished my coffee.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Those with gooseberries on the plots have fruit on them. It is most definitely, 'full sun', I think fruit like the sun.

Could be a fair amount of ferts on some of those plots,,,,,
Our site used to state 4x4x5 (high!) shed. I think they've now said 6x6 for a shed and the same for a polycarbonate greenhouse.
No comments relating to paths/patios but I came across a tenancy agreement online once, 'not more than 10% of plot to be given over to path, not more than 20% given over to flowers' quite draconian.
However, some of our tenants (the secretary included here) have allowed the paths dividing the plots to get to 4' width, not the 2' they're meant to be.
One couple has 3 half plots, lots of 'beds' and lots of path. If they were smarter they'd need only two half plots I think.

Plonker neighbour has visited ONCE this year. It's a mess. Inspection on 28th April. Not sure what kind of timeframe they operate to after inspection failure but,,,,1 month later no real change. Nothing has been planted. Shameful.

I'm suffering from the weekend. Lots of work. I went for a swim today (in the sea with wetsuit), hard yakka.
The answer is not to be found at the bottom of a bottle

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Ah yes. No shadows. My gooseberries do not get full sun. Nothing does really... :(

All those regs... confirm I don't really want a plot even if I had the time and energy to look after it!
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

I'm wondering what the London rates are Rachel? I pay £60 per year.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I am sure a lot more than that.

My local posh ones are not disclosing on their web site. Actually no one does. But a general comment is £100-£200 per 125m2 for residents if its a council one.

There is a waiting list of 47 for the one down the road. That's a three year waiting list, they say. But I must not be tempted. I just don't have time.
Last edited by Rachel on 31 May 2019 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Mmmm, mines 10x30m, 300m2. Seems like good value.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Plonker neighbour on visit number 3. This YEAR.
I'm going to write to our committee soon about a number of plots. It's a mockery of our tenancy agreement.
How we get to mid June, rent paid and nothing happening but weeds I'll never know. One plot is weed free but,,,,..3 years in, a fruit cage (no fruit) and most of the plot covered in tarpaulin. Well tended???

My point is,,,an allotment is for growing fruit and veg, for consumption. Many seem to grow stuff to forget about it.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

I’ve themed my front garden around a pebble beach with driftwood and rocks etc. As it’s been so warm and sunny I put 2 miniature deckchairs out. It really rained while I was out :roll:

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Spats wrote:
17 Jul 2019 21:31
I’ve themed my front garden around a pebble beach with driftwood and rocks etc. As it’s been so warm and sunny I put 2 miniature deckchairs out.
That sounds really nice Spats :)

This afternoon i've been trimming down a bush, long overdue as it was towering over next door's conservatory. Also sweeping, pulling up weeds, tidying and bagging up stones. Tidying some items ready for a skip hire maybe. Im halfway there as the lawn still needs mowing. Its a longish garden and if i don't keep up with it at least one day a week it can get a bit much. So pretty boring jobs today but i did enjoy rebuilding a small wishing well and putting it in a new location, in the rose bush area ;)?
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Spats wrote:
17 Jul 2019 21:31
It really rained while I was out :roll:

Sods law. Sounds nice though!
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

That sounds nice, Nicky.

Our wisteria is getting too much again. We need to sort it out. I wonder if by pruning it at the worng time and in the wrong way we are encouraging it grow more (as well as stopping it from blooming.) The kitchen is getting dark...
Rachel

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad »

Is it a wisteria tree ? They are so pretty.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

It clambers up the back of the house. Was very pretty but husband is obssessed about it getting onto the balcony and into the guttering (which is hard to access round the side of the house because of a glass-roofed lean to) so it's been hacked back willy-nilly without reference to its needs and never flowers but grows and gorws... :( He'd get rid of it but has been told it might make the house shift.
Makes me feel sad that it doesn't flower. Worst of both worlds really.

I am going to do some research and try to get someone professional to sort it out next year. This year, I guess we keep hacking it back before the back of the house disappears under it!
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

That said... from a web site:
  • If you want a more formal appearance, prune again during summer, after traditional flowering.
  • For more blooms, try cutting back the rampant shoots every two weeks during the summer.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Shadowlad wrote:
21 Jul 2019 17:57
This afternoon i've been trimming down a bush
Fnar fnar. :lol:

Plonker neighbour last Sunday has sown parsnip seeds (good luck with that) and what appears to be a potato trench. I can't tell if there are spuds in there but that's my suspicion. Sheesh, nothing like trying to cheat nature eh?

Wisteria, nice, good fragrance, lovely flowers, super short season. Must be a biggy if it will cause subsidence?

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad »

I may have killed that bush seismic :lol:

Dennis P. Kimbro

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Well, that wind has wreaked havoc. Sweet peas, tomatoes, Sweetcorn, runner beans, all casualties. Ho hum.

Got blueberries!

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Sorry the wind has spoiled things, Seismic. Hopefully you got somethign left though?

My blueberries have been and gone - the ones from the plant in the pot were very good ones though. Best I’ve ever grown. They benefited from being potted on and being fed and watered more regularly than in other years, I guess. I may put the plant in an even bigger pot next year in the hope of even more fruit. Even buy another...! Do you have yours in pots, or in the ground, Sesimic? I have one in the ground, and give it ericaceous feed and sometimes dump ericaceous compost around it, but zilch.

I had one sweetcorn go over the week before last in the wind, and two bend precariously. The first is dead now, but the other two look ok. They are in bags for life (4 to a bag, but only 8 plnats in total) so I was able to move them to a more sheltered spot while I was away, and also created a little cage for them with canes and string. They look healthy, and are taller than the ones I saw in the fields in France (not necessarily a good thing?!) with plenty of ears, but I probably should have fed them more.
Inca berry plants have toppled quite a bit with a subsequent loss of branches and potential fruit. They were doing really well.
Tomatoes were well battened down or in cages, so have not fallen. Am wondering if they will ripen though given the weather forecast for the next two weeks. I have kilos of green 'uns.

I don’t feel I am doing well this year - primarily due to lack of diligence and enthusiasm. The birds, slugs and possibly woodlice are getting all my strawberries (obvious solution there, apart from woodlice) which I could do easily). Birds took all my jostaberries and most of my currants before I put sleeves on them. I have not had a great raspberry crop this year (again) and one newish plant seems to have died. I thought last year's rubbishness was lack of water, but that's not been a problem this year. One plant is having a second wind now though. I picked and ate a large handful of big plump ones last night.

Aubergines (2 plants different varieties) and peppers (3 plants) and chillis are fruiting well, but will they ripen?

Cocktail kiwi is not thriving at all. May die :(

Achocha are flowering but not yet fruiting. Cucamelons I'd given up on, but they are fruiting a bit. Peas ok, but I didn't grow enough of them. Ditto french beans (just a handful - one portion's worth. Hardly worth bothering? But they are very good.)

I have two plums on my dwarf plum tree ;) (Bought last year, so not too bad, but cherries did very poorly. I need to plant them in the ground – I may be able to accommodate two – and/or pot on.)

The herbs are doing well, at least! And some flowers I planted in my one tiny, viable patch. The cornflowers were lovely, but mostly gone now. Dahlias – two plants lovely although not true to colour in the catalogue. Third hasn’t flowered at all. Sweet peas have been a fragrant joy, but suffered a bit while I was on holiday. I am still picking them every other day. They are rather short stemmed though. I have to put them in a tiny spice jar! Should probably up that to several jars. All the dark ones are out now. Will definitely grow again next year. I suppose I should save some seed? I bought them as plants.
I have some self seeded violas and dark red, but tiny-flowered scabious in the cracks in the front garden path. I suppose they are partly there and not in the garden per se, because the latter has been weeded.
Rachel

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Bumping this thread now that the better weather is here/coming. I was out in the garden all morning - nice day for it and due to be a lovely weekend weatherwise here too. Hope it's the same for all ;)?
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad »

Hi TC hope you and all here are well. :\: Yes i will be doing the same this weekend, more work on the garden and burning some wood and rubbish now that the tips have closed. Fortunately i have a close friend staying here who is a keen gardener and she has done lots of cutting back the dead stuff and there is already new life sprouting yay !!

Have you been pruning TC or out relaxing and reading in the sunshine ? :)

Dennis P. Kimbro