A recovery, help and support group for people with alcohol problems

Online Alcohol Therapy Do you need professional help? Alcoholism & Recovery Articles Self Help Resources

Cholesterol

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
maximus

Cholesterol

Postby maximus » 28 Jan 2012 20:29

does anyone here suffer from high cholestral mine is 14 and the docs are telling me not to worry about it to much !!!!!!! my health anxiety has gone through the roof as i have a life long fear and phobias of heart attacks , that wasnt a fasting test though that is on thursday im very worried its on my mind all the time i have changed to a really good diet since that test thanks folks

zelda
Last Drink Date: 17 May 2014

Re: Cholesterol

Postby zelda » 28 Jan 2012 20:53

Hi Max,
My family has a history of high cholesterol. This is what I have understood on the subject.

So, there are two kinds of cholesterol, and your reading is a number they come up with from a calculation of the both types. If the doc said it is ok, then maybe your good one is high, which means no worries.
Good cholesterol helps to carry the bad stuff away from the arteries where it would sit and build walls of fat. Good cholesterol foods are stuff like oily fish: salmon, trout, mackerel etc... olive oil and duck fat ( :? ) are good too. Walnuts and almonds should be eaten every day, and oats and beans with their skins '(red, black eyed, white etc)
Absolute no nos are red meats, animal fats, high fat cheeses, processed meats (sausages, burgers), and all the stuff that tastes nice :D
Also I have been told that all foods which claim to be 'light' are really not good for you at all.
thats all i know
Zelda
Zelda: "Oh blimey, I could kill a glass of wine".....
Glass of Wine "Oh blimey , I could kill Zelda".....

maximus

Postby maximus » 28 Jan 2012 22:28

no im afraid that 14 is my bad choletrol ive cut all those foogs out although i thought beef was ok

snoopy
Last Drink Date: 02 Oct 2016

Postby snoopy » 28 Jan 2012 22:43

you will get a more accurate result from a fasting test.
14 is high - i think about 5 is average.
Bloke i sit next to a work had v high cholestral, high bp and diabeties and smokes. He has brought his cholestral down using diet and medication.
Im sure the dr will advise you on results of Thurs test and you shouldnt worry too much x
I dont drink because my life is better without it

Mike

Postby Mike » 29 Jan 2012 11:33

Hi Maximus,

If your cholesterol is really 14 then it is approximately 3x normal. So it needs lowering. You will be prescribed an effective statin drug to take daily (some statins are more effective than others but price is sometimes a factor in prescribing). You should change your diet to exclude saturated fats by cutting out all red meat and reducing most dairy products. Instead of butter use a cholesterol lowering spread like Flora Pro-Active. Your doctor can give you a low fat diet sheet.

Exercise more, lose weight, stop smoking and once you have taken all these steps, stop worrying.

All the best,

Mike

Tornado

Postby Tornado » 29 Jan 2012 13:23

Hi Maximus,

I have high cholesterol and I bought a book about the subject which I thought was really good and would recommend :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cut-Your-Choles ... 806&sr=1-1

It is cheap (less than a fiver), easy to read, and very informative. I bought my copy from Waterstones so it is available in places other than the Amazon website.

(Some people who reviewed it on Amazon thought the typeface was a bit small, so if you have poor eyesight it might not be the best book for you. I didn't notice it was small though.)

maximus

Postby maximus » 29 Jan 2012 20:11

thanks for that

maximus

Postby maximus » 06 Feb 2012 09:56

just got back from the docs to some good news my cholestral has droped from 14 to 9 in 4 weeks so thats good news, ive been confirmed as type 2 diabetes but we are gunna try and get it under control through diet, so must keep on going im only drinky on fri nights at the moment

1sunworshipper
Last Drink Date: 01 Oct 2015

Postby 1sunworshipper » 06 Feb 2012 10:18

Maximus that is a significant drop in such a short period of time well done \:)/

I've never had mine tested - what is the recommended number. I'm at the doctors this week to review my meds, how do they test for it. Do you find out there and then? I might get mine done
AF2012 #21 - challenge successfully completed
AF2013 #12 - challenge successfully completed
AF2014 #12 - 11 and a bit months
nothing changes if nothing changes

maximus

Postby maximus » 06 Feb 2012 12:12

hi there its a blood test which the results should be back in 2 to 3 days everybody should have there cholestral done you dont have to be overweight for it to be high

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2011

Postby Boris Bike » 06 Feb 2012 12:37

1sunworshipper wrote:I've never had mine tested - what is the recommended number.

There's a table if you scroll down a bit here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol#Hypercholesterolemia

Tis all Greek to me.

1sunworshipper

Postby 1sunworshipper » 06 Feb 2012 19:48

cheers guys ;)?

1sunworshipper

Postby 1sunworshipper » 10 Mar 2012 11:12

Had it done and got my results back 5.2 so all is well on that front for me. Makes a change for something to be normal in my life :roll:

Johnson

Postby Johnson » 19 Oct 2012 08:16

Well it is important to note that high cholesterol is becoming very common among people which is a problematic . I think the major cause is much reliance on foods which are high in fiber and calories . In addition, Foods which are prepared in oil . Isn't it a fact ? . What do you say about it ? .
Last edited by Johnson on 20 Oct 2012 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

Maddie

Postby Maddie » 19 Oct 2012 11:18

Thought I'd post a link that gives some basic info regarding cholesterol.

http://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-health/cholesterol/
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

Marilyn Monroe

PandaGirl
Last Drink Date: 31 Jan 2014

Postby PandaGirl » 21 Oct 2012 00:38

Best thing you can do to lower cholesterol? Stay off refined carbohydrates and sugar. Tis not fat that is the enemy. There is a strong link between insulin resistance and high cholesterol, and these high carbohydrate foods, including sugar, cause spikes in insulin, which in turn affects how cholesterol is metabolised by the body. There is even evidence to show that statins actually act on insulin production, and not the cholesterol. It is the insulin you need to level out, not the fat intake. There was a 2009 study, (Mente) published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, which found no link between saturated fat and heart disease.

The main dietary nasties were in fact: trans fats, sugar, and high-GI carbohydrates. Increased consumption of mono-unsaturated fats (Omega 3 fats) was a protective factor, along with fruit, veg, nuts, whole grains, and fish. No need for any expensive fake diet foods or cholesterol lowering products. They don't work, and nor does the low fat dogma either. But food companies have made billions out of it, and have a very powerful lobby, so the scientific community is wary of busting the myths. And of course, who pays for a lot of this research......if the low fat low calorie thing really worked, would we have such a proliferation of obesity and other health issues in the developed world? And why did our grandparents generation, who cooked with lard- there was no canola oil or fry light, and ate dripping sandwiches, rarely have overweight people, let alone obese? I can tell you one thing, it's pretty damn hard to overeat on dripping sandwiches. But it's pretty easy to overeat on fast food chain fries fried in "healthy" sunflower oil, or sugary cakes and pastries, sweets, or overdose on sugary drinks.....and are we generally not hungry again within a couple of hours of eating this stuff, due to the big insulin spike we get and then the subsequent crash? And given we're concerned here with alcohol, lets not forget that a lot of the cravings we get for the stuff are actually to do with cravings for sugar, because sugar prompts release of dopamine in the brain - the "feel good stuff". Which is what we tend to want more of, not the sugar itself but the effects. So we keep eating the very things that make us sicker, and what's worse is it's disguised as health food in many guises...."wholegrain" "vitamin enriched" and "high fibre" cereals and granolas that are full of sugar, for example.

I'll get off me soap box now....all I'll say to finish off is that we have plenty of foods that nature provided us with that give us the vitamins and the fibre and will fill us up very nicely til lunch time, but plain ol' fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, fish and eggs never made food giants much profit now did they......

Balls to Benecol. Just make sure that most of your diet is clean, natural, unprocessed food. Sorted.
“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Postby smudge » 29 Apr 2013 23:25

For anyone with an interest in cholesterol and statins watching this film is a must! (I think it is possible it may only be available for a limited time.)

The Great Cholesterol Cover Up : Statin Nation (Full Movie)

Alternative link for the same movie : The Great Cholesterol Cover Up : Statin Nation (Full Movie)
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Postby Sandy » 20 Oct 2013 13:17

Bumping this for Lima on the fitness thread

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Postby Topcat » 12 Aug 2014 08:19

Just ignore me - I'm scratching an itch :D
#5 on the 2017 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Prittstick

Postby Prittstick » 12 Aug 2014 09:52

I've just had blood tests with a high cholestrol. The doctor didn't say anything about fats. Just said eat fruit and veg.

Return to “Physical and Mental Health”