New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by smh1 »

Icabodis wrote:
27 Jan 2020 21:46
Sdrunk. Im a teacher and wonder if other members teach? Not sure.
Thanks BE for last night. I checked you regularly today for reassurance, but I think I'm in a better place. Like I said, still a bit fuzzy, warm and pissed after tonight's little journey home, but I hope these paranoid days are numbered.
Thanks,
Jay.
Hi Jay I was a teacher - that was when my boozing really went sky high! Many days I stood in class feeling wooly headed and knew it was only a question before I got 'found out'. My last year before retirement I did sober, kept that up for another two years then went back on the grog for two years. Stopped again and have gone 2 years and 8 months without a drink. I know for sure if I had had this site the first time round I would not have relapsed. Stay with us even if you are drinking, no one will judge you, we just want to support you as and when and you will get there. Teaching is a very stressful job and many teachers self medicate, but I was so happy to finish my career on a sober high. Good luck with the things you are sorting at the moment. Take care. Sue <:)>
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

Icabodis

Post by Icabodis »

Sue, thank you, angel.
I've been at the so-called "chalkface" for 25 years and seen pretty much everything.
For me, it was the bottle of 'slippery slope' after work that got me on this 'treadmill of pleasure'. One trigger for my issues was a notorious ex-student who committed an horrendous crime that made national news.
Another guilt issue is that I always felt I was better at dealing with other people's children over my own.
This will never leave me, but after last Friday, I really have to move in a more forward direction. So, here goes, and thank you for reading and for your precious post. ;)?

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

Thank you everyone for your kind welcome. I am still here and hanging out in the 7 day thread, moving on slowly through. All your posts are so valuable to me and really do help to keep me on track.
Still very much reading and learning from your experience. No plans to stop checking in any time soon so I figured I should get myself a profile and settle in for the long haul. I'm hoping to graduate from the 7 day and move on up into the 2 to 4 week thread, next stop 100 day kick start since that tough love approach works well for me. Final destination unknown but I have to believe its a forever abstinence option and weirdly it's the first time I am not feeling daunted by that idea. I want it. I want to commit to it and feel I can achieve it.

Deanna - working your schedule and planning my day, starting every morning with a post here makes sense to me and I'm on it!
Jay - Peace to you and less anxious days ahead.
Good sleep to all.
#16 on the 2021 Challenge
Sobriety is never owned. It's rented and the rent is due everyday.

JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Post by JohnC »

Welcome Alizarin,

Best wishes for your journey of discovery.

Post every day and share

JohnC. ;)?
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois »

Good for you Ali! \:)/ (::) ;)?

So glad you are still here and determined! The semi rigid scheduling really worked for me, I just made up my mind that I would stick to a regimen and it is easy to focus on the hour at hand rather than allow the brain to wander to other "drink" inducing thoughts! Much like being in the military, at boot camp, I would guess!

The bonus of that, was that I got back into reading, learned a whole lot because I was watching educational TV and started some new hobbies that I still enjoy and do daily! Coloring, painting, and other fun crafts.

The Challenge Threads are such a good incentive! Once you graduate from the 7 day and get more AF time, you don't want to cave because you feel successful, and you won't want to let your fellow threaders down!

And the most important, do post every day, or more often, because you will become part of this community and that is the best part of all! On my final, really true quitting journey, I was on BE early in the a.m. and often throughout the day! I felt an alliance and a bond with everyone that helped me on this forum!

So,hang in there! Keep posting, and know that you are never alone!

Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Johnny67

Post by Johnny67 »

Hello folks
I'm Johnny, and I have a problem with alcohol. That sounds like an AA meeting introduction, which I've never been to. I have a problem with the religious basis of the 12 step.
I do think online communities can help though, so I'm stepping in

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Hi Johny. Welcome to Bright Eye. Read around and post wherever you like
be selfish in your sobriety.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Johnny67 wrote:
30 Jan 2020 16:35
Hello folks
I'm Johnny, and I have a problem with alcohol. That sounds like an AA meeting introduction, which I've never been to. I have a problem with the religious basis of the 12 step.
I do think online communities can help though, so I'm stepping in
Hi Johnny, welcome aboard! I didn't get on with AA either, although I recognise that many find a valuable approach. There's people with all sorts of beliefs and approaches on BE, so I'm sure you'll fit in just fine :D I recmmend reading back through this thread for tips, then figure out where you'd like to post. Many start with the 7 day challenge.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

Welcome Johny,

Look around, these lovely folks sure make you want to stay and get to know them.

Johnny67

Post by Johnny67 »

Thanks for the welcome Ali, Danny and Sober. I'll have a read
J

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois »

Adding a Welcome, Johnny67.

Once you've made the decision, BE is the place to be! I was ok with AA, but the group I went into didn't seem very willing to help, so for health reasons I quit going. Much easier to just go online in Bright Eye and soak up all the experience posted here!

Hope your journey is rewarding, get in some good food, get some distractions going and remember that it can be rocky but it is worth it!

Quitting alcohol will make you healthier and make your judgement better, because difficult things will still happen but you will be able to cope with them better sans alcohol.

Hope to see you on the 7 Day Challenge!

Best wishes, Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.

manga

Post by manga »

Hi everyone. I admitted to myself this morning that I am an alcoholic. I knew that I had a problem but it is more than a problem. I am feeling so alone and sad. I am a single mother and I would like nothing more than a hug right now, arm to cry on and someone to talk to that can understand me. My friends cant relate and they really don´t know how big the problem is and I know from the past talking to them about this will not help me. I do not want nothing more right now to get the blish feeling of being sober for a long time and from now on for the rest of my life. I am so so sad and lonely now

ScarletB

Post by ScarletB »

Welcome, Manga. I’m so sorry you’re feeling low. I’ve been here a while but recently turned a corner and I’ve been alcohol free (af) since Jan 1st. You will soon find that everyone here is kind and supportive. We all have differences and similarities in our experience with alcohol. There are many moms on this site as well. That helps me feel not so alone and ashamed. Post where ever you feel comfortable, even if you are still drinking. My advice is to not get down on yourself if you falter. Count your achievements, even if just one sober day. We all start somewhere. Many of us have to start multiple times. Recently I’ve found that Annie Grace and her book and podcast “This Naked Mind” have really helped me gain a new perspective. If you don’t feel comfortable labeling yourself an alcoholic, then don’t. I think it helps some of us to identify as that and find support with others who do the same. Personally, I just feel that life is tough and alcohol doesn’t help any part of it for me. I can’t find one benefit anymore. Best wishes to you, Manga. Stick around and you’ll make some connections and hopefully not feel so alone because you are NOT alone.

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois »

Welcome Manga,

It is very common to feel sad when giving up alcohol! Because, if good old Al has been with you for a while, he seems like an old friend. You are dumping that old friend and it feels awful at first! You are mourning the loss of an old friend, not a good friend, though, or you wouldn't want to quit using alcohol! Right?

I was a single mom, too, and drank to cope with all the stress that goes along with that. But, I wish I had quit way back then, because as I found out, sobriety is so much better!

Do post your feelings all you want, read around the articles and posts from fellow quitters, you will be surprised at how many of us have gotten well and became AF and are happy with that!

How about starting with the 7 Day Challenge and get a day or two AF under your belt and see how you feel. Get in some good food, find something like a good book or some puzzles to distract your mind. Keep posting!

Best wishes, Deanna

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

Oh Manga, the moment of realisation that begins the journey. As much as I saw it as a very sad and desperate state. It was also a revelation and chance to get different results doing things differently. Come here and talk to us as much as you need. We get you. I understand having an alcohol problem so big that it feels like no-one could ever understand.
Come join us in the 7 day challenge. It's a great place to start with some really great people.
Hugs and peace to you

Moonshine10000

Post by Moonshine10000 »

Hi everyone. Feel so ill and my wife’s leaving me. But tonight my bed will be my safe haven. Not looking forward to the withdrawal but at least I’ll have a duvet to comfort me !! Gym tomorrow. Gonna take some days after such a rough drinking session but that should help. I feel so down but gotta stay strong. It’s too late for my marriage but hopefully not too late to save the rest of my life 😞

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Hello Moonshine10000

Just to say welcome to Bright Eye and to say i'm sorry that you are feeling ill tonight. Do take care and ring for medical advice if you are at all worried about your physical symptoms. The anxiety can feel quite overwhelming at this stage and hopefully by posting here you will feel some comfort that you are not altogether alone.

Take care and keep posting if it helps

Nicky xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Moonshine10000

Post by Moonshine10000 »

Thanks Nicky. You know I’m 44 and last year my brother died through drinking. He was 47. I wonder whether if I quit now I can make a good recovery after 26 years of heavy drinking. My family deserve for me to be alive and there for them. I worry for my health.