Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Advice / Tools for Newcomers (Privacy etc)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Tobin
Site Admin

Advice / Tools for Newcomers (Privacy etc)

Post by Tobin » 31 Mar 2009 21:08

Browser privacy: hiding history and tab title of "Alcoholic Help - Support Forum"
Like myself, a few posters have had worries that the title "Alcoholic Help - Support Forum" is displayed on browser tabs and in browser history. BE need to keep it this way so that people will find the site when they use google to look for help. There is a way for individual users to hide these details, which I will describe here. I only know how to do it with Firefox, not Internet Explorer. These instructions are for FIREFOX only.

Please be aware that these actions hide your browser activity from people looking over your shoulder, but at work it doesn't stop the activity being monitored "behind the scenes" on the network. But at home it may help your privacy with family and friends casually looking at your screen.

The FireFox browser has "add-ons" which are independent applications that change the way the browser behaves. Users can choose which they want to install. I went looking for ones that would help my privacy with BE. These two I describe now are what I'm currently using.

1. TabRenamizer
This lets you rename the title of a tab to what you want. It works when you have mutiple browser tabs open, and one is set to BE - and you don't want it to display the full title. Once installed, right-click the tab with title "Alcoholic Help - Support Forum" and the rename option will be near the bottom of ythe drop-down list. Rename it to what you want - "BE" works for me. The only drawback is that this doesn't last when you close and re-open FireFox, you have to do it again. As I keep my browser open, it isn't too annoying for me.

2. HistoryBlock
Once you've added this, just go to the forum and right-click anywhere on the page. "Block This!" will be one of the last items on the drop-down menu. Once that's chosen, you won't see the forum appear in your history list.

To install these or any add-ons, go to the FireFox home page (www.firefox.com), click on the Add-Ons link at the top and you can use the search function to find the above. I have no connection to these applications. There are other Add-Ons that do similar things but these two seem to be the most stable from my use today and yesterday. I'd be interested if anybody else has found better.

The other function I wanted is to stop the "auto-complete" in the addressbar when you type in "www.b" and it will display "www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/alcoholic-forum". I can't find an add-on that lets you suppress a particular address. Instead, if you want it you have to turn off auto-complete altogether, which is quite convoluted in FireFox 3.

I hope the above isn't too technical for those interested. If it's not clear, I'll keep an eye out here for any questions or please PM me and I'll reply.

Hope this helps,
Maggie

Tobin
Site Admin

Re: Advice / Tools for Newcomers (Privacy etc)

Post by Tobin » 31 Mar 2009 21:11

I share a computer at work and although I always clear the history at the end of the day so staff can't see what sites I've been on, in the tool bar where i type in www.brighteye etc.... as soon as I start to type a couple of letters the website comes up.

I'm just a little worried that they can see where I've been and can click on it. My name is pretty obvious so I'm sure they'd know it were me. Given that and it used to say Perth, Australia which I've now changed now I'm sure they'd know for sure.
Is there anyway of fixing that so it doesn't happen?
You can disable the 'autocomplete' function if you use Firefox:
1. Open the Firefox browser.
2. From the Firefox menu, select 'Tools'
3. Select 'Options'
4. Click 'Privacy'
5. Click 'Saved Forms' (Or just click 'Settings)
6. Click 'Settings'
7. Select all options in the 'Clear Private Data' window
8. Click OK
9. Click 'Clear Saved Form Data Now'
10. Uncheck 'Save information I enter in forms and the Search Bar'
11. Click OK

This should stop the address completing itself automatically.

This is the same job for Internet Explorer:

1. From Internet Explorer, choose "Tools" then "Internet Options".
2. From the "Internet Options" multi-tabbed dialog box that appears, select the "Content" tab.
3. Click the "AutoComplete" button.
4. Uncheck everything.
5. Click the "Clear Forms" button.
6. Click the "Clear Passwords" button.
7. Press "OK" to close the dialog boxes.
It shouldn't be too different whatever version you've got. Fundamentally go to 'Tools' and 'Internet Options' and poke around there.

Mike

Post by Mike » 10 Apr 2009 02:39

At work they labelled me an alcoholic, and then the internet thought police were concerned to find I was using an Alcoholic Support Forum ! Bright Eye has helped me tremendously and I don't give a monkeys (sorry Tobin) what anybody thinks. But the advice here about covering your tracks on Firefox is useful, and if your drink problem is not in the public domain I would recommend two actions. First, don't go on BE at work, and secondly follow Tobin's advice regarding privacy on your home computer. But don't let any of this put you off using Bright Eye. It's a life saver, literally.

Mike

Mike

Post by Mike » 22 Apr 2009 17:26

Becky,

At work, IT departments can check every key stroke we make on our computers, and as most of us have to log in with a unique password known to the IT managers, they can track down our browsing history over several months without any difficulty. They usually allow a fair amount of latitude, so that if you want to check holiday destinations in your lunch break, or go onto car insurance comparison sites, you'll generally be fine. But if you want to keep personal health issues private and confidential, I would stay off sites like BE at the workplace.

Mike

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 26 Apr 2009 15:07

Great idea, Becky.
I do the reverse, but never thought about logging into my home network from the office.
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

Aaron.A
Last Drink Date: 02 Jun 2013

Post by Aaron.A » 10 Jul 2009 08:48

Morning bubbysmum and welcome to the site.
To edit your details click on the user control panel (top left of the screen) and them profile.

Hope this helps
It's been a while since i could stand on my own two feet again

Mike

Post by Mike » 19 Aug 2009 00:37

Hi admin or anyone,

This is a simple question from a simple guy. I'm sure I should know this, but how do I change my Bright Eye passsword ?

Mike

jhenni

Post by jhenni » 19 Aug 2009 00:58

User control panel. Profile tab (second from the left), list on the left Edit account settings.

Or were you just pulling our collective legs with that question?

jhenni

Mike

Post by Mike » 19 Aug 2009 13:10

Hi jhenni

Thank you for your helpful answer. No I wasn't pulling your legs. I had often wondered about the solution to that particular problem. As I have a new computer and it has decided to remember my passwords for me, it has theoretically become possible for someone else to assume my identity on the site if they were to open the program on this computer. All very unlikely, but I thought I would get a fresh password, and ensure the computer does not remember the new one.

Mike

sallybally

Post by sallybally » 28 Aug 2009 14:33

Just wondering how you cancel being a member here. I'e had a look and don't know how :?

Kittie
Last Drink Date: 08 Feb 2010

Post by Kittie » 24 Oct 2009 23:17

this may help on safari you can turn on private browsing, just a simple tick next to the words private browsing under the Safari tab.

my boyfriend knows thats im looking but dont want anyone accidently seeing if i use my personal laptop in front of anyone
x
Kittie - working hard to be the best person i can be.

http://keepmesober.blogspot.com/

Ho Ho Ho only a few more sleeps to go...

Tina05
Last Drink Date: 04 Dec 2009

Post by Tina05 » 06 Dec 2009 09:29

Morning,

Can anyone help me with a technical problem Im having please.

I can't seem to be able to add an avatar. It keeps telling me the picture that I want to add is too big. I have tried adding a picture from my camera and also finding an image online but none seem to want to fit. Any suggestions please? PM if you know that would be a great help to me. I feel naked!

lots of love

Tina
x x x

Kittie

Post by Kittie » 06 Dec 2009 10:38

you do look a little bear

OK you need to shrink it, as it needs to be a certain size

i can talk you through it, but need to know

do you have a PC?
what programme do you use for pictures
how big is the file at the moment

Kittie

Post by Kittie » 06 Dec 2009 10:39

or you can email me it at

be_kittie@yahoo.com and i'll do the work for you - but you need to PM me as i dont check that email address very often unless im out and about or know there is something there for me :)

Tina05

Post by Tina05 » 06 Dec 2009 20:38

Thank you darcy, I will give it a go.

Tina
x x x

Tina05

Post by Tina05 » 06 Dec 2009 20:55

Well what do you think?

Bill Gates watch out!!!!

Thanks again darcy.

x x x

Kittie

Post by Kittie » 06 Dec 2009 22:22

ooo its lush x

glad to see your not nude anymore :)

Ms Kay

Post by Ms Kay » 12 Dec 2009 21:46

I just wanted to recommend a programme I watched on my laptop yesterday for good sober inspiration .
Its a REALLY graphic documentary following four 100 - 200 unit a week drinkers in the UK and if anyone at all is having a struggle with the EAF whispering " just one drink" at the moment then I would be suprised if watching this didn't send the EAF running for cover
I felt quite ill watching it in places and nearly stopped after an hour but I'm glad I saw it through.

Its called Rain in my Heart and its viewable on youtube.com in ten parts of ten minutes each ( its a 100 minute documentary and I think youtube vids are a max of 10 mins long so the person who added it split it into ten parts)

Just search rain in my heart on youtube

Hope that helps someone

There is also a twenty minute follow up story - google "revisiting rain in my heart" "newsnight" and the page should come up for newsnight with the followup link
Taking my life back.
http://anxietyisnottheendoftheworld.blogspot.com/

Tink

Post by Tink » 13 Dec 2009 03:15

Ms Kay,

Wow. :( <:)> :shock: :cry: :D So many emotions from this. I just watched Rain in my heart. I am still very emotional from it. So much there. Dark place. I knew that place well.
I also learned allot about this illness that I had and still live with. It really does make you see allot and it also tells me that I should never put my shields down. 10 years that Nigel went. 10 years. What a merciless killer this illness is. I shall have no mercy in fighting it that is for sure. It is so hard for me to think that that was me. To know how fortunate I am to have stopped before I got so sick and my liver went. Not to mention all the other things. Thank goodness I have stopped. I thank God everyday and I am so grateful for this site and all of you wonderful folks that helped me and still do. It made me so sad to see that. I think of myself, all of you and my OH and my son who drinks. My youngest son. I am now more determined than ever to keep at trying to help them see that they do not have to stay in that dark place. I also see that I can't help them unless they want help. This is also so painful to me but so necessary so that I can protect myself and stay sober myself. I can't help anyone if I am drinking. Give me strength and courage as I will need them. I will live and stay sober. I will try by example to help.

Tink(Teri)
<:)>
Life is a journey not a destination. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

64Turtles
Last Drink Date: 29 Sep 2014

Post by 64Turtles » 01 Jan 2010 19:55

Took a peek at Rain in the Heart and will finish later. Thanks for the heads up. I like to check up from the neck up occasionally......
“Just remember - when you think all is lost, the future remains”