Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Advice / Tools for Newcomers (Privacy etc)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Jake.
Last Drink Date: 30 Aug 2017

Re: Advice / Tools for Newcomers (Privacy etc)

Post by Jake. » 23 Sep 2012 22:46

Thanks ;)?

sunshine yellow

Post by sunshine yellow » 23 Sep 2012 22:49

i just started to get my life back and have not had a drink today, i am a wife and mother and work full time in a sales driven job. where the targets have continued to increase month on month and the stress has lead to me drinking more wine when i get home!! this has not helped with anything only a quick hit for the evening and then i continued to feel depressed. my husband has been no support and he just pours the wine down the sink!! and tells me to stop drinking. my farther died two weeks ago and i was off work so drunk more!! keep you updated i need my life back!!

Lottie38
Last Drink Date: 03 Aug 2013

Post by Lottie38 » 11 Nov 2012 01:23

Hello how do I upload an avatar via my iPad? The choose from your machine button is greyed out!

Thanks! X
You can't pour from an empty cup.

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 11 Nov 2012 06:54

Ah ha! Actually you can do it from iPad, which is how I turned into Mt Everest. I will have to remain Mt Everest for now as my old avatar isn't on my iPad!

I went to http://www.picresize.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and resized a piccie on my iPad camera roll to Custom Size 100 x 100 pixels - the maximum allowed for an avatar. Then, clicked on the save to disk option which puts the picture into a new web browser page. Click and hold on the image to get the Save Image option which puts it in the Camera Roll. Back to Bright Eye and click on the Choose Picture option. Ta da!

Dave

Edit: to copy a picture from a web page to the iPad camera roll: 'click' and hold on it then select Save Image
Last edited by Grendelslip on 11 Nov 2012 07:24, edited 2 times in total.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 11 Nov 2012 06:56

Smart a...e :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 11 Nov 2012 06:59

If I was a smart a..e I wouldn't be stuck as Mt Everest! Now I am going to have to stay like it for a while otherwise my posts here aren't going to make sense. No change there then. What?!!

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 11 Nov 2012 09:36

Thank you Dave (::) For the first time ever, I have managed to resize a favourite photo and have it as my new avatar using that link \:)/ (::) \:)/
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Jake.
Last Drink Date: 30 Aug 2017

Post by Jake. » 11 Nov 2012 09:54

I change avatars using tapatalk for iPad

Lottie38
Last Drink Date: 03 Aug 2013

Post by Lottie38 » 18 Dec 2012 09:58

I've down loaded the tapatalk thingy and find it jolly good! Thanks for the tip jake :)
You can't pour from an empty cup.

wheatism
Last Drink Date: 27 Apr 2014

Post by wheatism » 09 Aug 2013 13:38

Sorry if I'm being dumb but how do I change my username? Did a search but couldn't find an answer...back here again after a few years :-( and mistakenly used a username that could identify me
What consumes your mind, controls your life

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 09 Aug 2013 13:56

Hi Whites,

You need to contact Tobin and ask him if he will change your username for you.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

Fez
Last Drink Date: 01 Sep 2013

Post by Fez » 09 Sep 2013 19:55

Can anyone help with a technical hitch?
I have sent Tobin a PM ref. a small change to my user name, but it seems to be stuck in my outbox :roll:

Im guessing that Tobin must get lots of pm's and its just stuck waiting for a slot, but if not Im worried it wont be read.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Fez
"Goodbye Alcohol, I don't want to be your friend any more" "You've been a close friend of mine for over 20 years now, but its now time to go our separate ways" "I dont want to see you again" Goodbye

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 09 Sep 2013 20:01

It'll stay in the outbox until Tobin logs in and opens it John. It will then go into your sent box. Hope that clears it up for you.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

Fez
Last Drink Date: 01 Sep 2013

Post by Fez » 09 Sep 2013 20:12

Topcat wrote:It'll stay in the outbox until Tobin logs in and opens it John. It will then go into your sent box. Hope that clears it up for you.
Spot on!
Thank you Topcat ;)?
"Goodbye Alcohol, I don't want to be your friend any more" "You've been a close friend of mine for over 20 years now, but its now time to go our separate ways" "I dont want to see you again" Goodbye

starts today

Post by starts today » 14 Feb 2014 11:50

well here I am. I drink beer every day after work. My husband is ready to call it quits. My father was an alchoholic and died from the disease. I just want to stop

Weisir

Post by Weisir » 24 Mar 2014 00:18

Tobin wrote:1. TabRenamizer
This lets you rename the title of a tab to what you want. It works when you have mutiple browser tabs open, and one is set to BE - and you don't want it to display the full title. Once installed, right-click the tab with title "Alcoholic Help - Support Forum" and the rename option will be near the bottom of ythe drop-down list. Rename it to what you want - "BE" works for me. The only drawback is that this doesn't last when you close and re-open FireFox, you have to do it again. As I keep my browser open, it isn't too annoying for me.

2. HistoryBlock
Once you've added this, just go to the forum and right-click anywhere on the page. "Block This!" will be one of the last items on the drop-down menu. Once that's chosen, you won't see the forum appear in your history list.
Just wanted to say that these work very well for me.
I don't come here when at work, but my home pc is available for others casual use.

TabRenamizer has a second installment now ("TabRenamizer2", of course...)and this lets you specify to always change the name of a certain adress. Nice!
The Sun / Is Free

A sort of blog: Oenochoai.com/road
Doing a diary there now during my stay at a detox place.

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 24 Mar 2014 00:46

Good advice but this one works for me. If you have a desktop or laptop then you are most likely using Windows. Just set up accounts for every user and stuff in a password. Nowadays I live alone but my laptop still has two accounts. Dave - that is me - and Admin for doing geek stuff. Both have passwords and so does the machine. Go into the BIOS for that one. Often F10 on power up but it does vary. My VAIO needs a different start-up method. The Assist key rather than the power on button.

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 24 Mar 2014 01:34

Can I recommend something else too? Trusteer Endpoint Protection. It is promoted by UK banks and probably in the US. I got mine from http://www.natwest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If it doesn't show up on the main screen then scroll down to the bottom and click on Security Centre.

Anti virus and spy/malware programs will protect you from most things. This one puts the polish on. It will stop attempts to grab your keyboard activity or capture screen shots, something my browser does (IE11). It is not an anti-virus product as such so you do need to put in place something else. You also need to tell it when to protect you. Usually it pops up when you enter a password. It does for BE but I assume that is because my password is weird and not eg Geronimo. If you want to protect a site then just do Alt +R when your browser is open.

It is free and trusted by the banks. That sales pitch went up in smoke then. :lol:

Mike123

Post by Mike123 » 24 Apr 2014 07:39

Thanks for the idea. I will try this..sure..!

Chrissie M
First Sober Date: 28 Aug 2018

Post by Chrissie M » 12 Sep 2014 07:52

Please can someone tell me in very simple terms how to find and upload an avatar?
Look after yourself today